The QB Thread: Everything Carr, Stidham and beyond...

RaidersAreOne

2 hours ago, Darbsk said:

Lot of fair points, though I’m not a huge fan of Williams and with his nagging injury I thought by the last third of the season Renfrew was our best and most consistent wide receiver, probably should have said most trusted. Waller is our best overall receiver, would agree with that but then again probably because Carr force fed him the ball due to lack of WR options. I didn’t think his route running was that precise and I’m not sold yet on him being a top 5 TE like most seem to crown him, very similar production to Cook and Hopefully he keeps improving and will be a real top TE this season.

Trust is the big thing with Carr which can be seen as a positive and a negative, I wouldn’t want him just throwing it up there for the likes of Doss and Gafford too often Or just assuming they will be where they need to be as that is asking for trouble but you are right he has to let plays develop at times and not just bail into his safe checkdown option, totally agree there.  It’s about finding the balance for me and I think we get closer this year although Carr will always leave you wanting something.............

I agree with all of this.  Problem with Carr is that our team has had so many moving parts it is hard to isolate the variable that needs to be change.  I find myself getting so angry at Carr some games and then going back and re-watching and seeing it was not that bad of a game.  There are many of us on here, myself included, that have these emotional memory bias' that make it hard to have the arguments in a productive way.  In the threads I might seem sometimes to be flipping back and forth but I take what people say and then re-watch the games or parts to try and see what they see.  My opinion now of Carr has changed 20 times since 2016 but the variance of my position changes has decreased.

• Like 3

15 minutes ago, drfrey13 said:

I agree with all of this.  Problem with Carr is that our team has had so many moving parts it is hard to isolate the variable that needs to be change.  I find myself getting so angry at Carr some games and then going back and re-watching and seeing it was not that bad of a game.  There are many of us on here, myself included, that have these emotional memory bias' that make it hard to have the arguments in a productive way.  In the threads I might seem sometimes to be flipping back and forth but I take what people say and then re-watch the games or parts to try and see what they see.  My opinion now of Carr has changed 20 times since 2016 but the variance of my position changes has decreased.

Yep, I've been there too but it's why sometimes we need to sleep on it and rewatch it with a clear head a while later. I never tend to comment in the game thread as I know I would give an emotional and knee jerk reaction that Id probably regret upon sober reflection 😁😁 

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Darbsk said:

Yep, I've been there too but it's why sometimes we need to sleep on it and rewatch it with a clear head a while later. I never tend to comment in the game thread as I know I would give an emotional and knee jerk reaction that Id probably regret upon sober reflection 😁😁 

I am usually sober so I would have even less of an excuse.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

https://uk.news.yahoo.com/raiders-qb-derek-carr-im-222247808.html

Interesting to hear he is working on his scrambling and extending plays, he has done so to great effect now and then but simply not often enough. We all know he is plenty athletic so it's a little mind set switch.

But the big takeaway for me is that I also feel Carr is generally disrespected but if he wants to dispel those opinions there is only one place to do that and that is on the field.

I believe he can and will do it now he has a deeper and more talented supporting cast but he simply has to get guys buying in and as a team we have to start producing, you can only have 'potential' for so long, sooner or later we have to produce results and this would be a great year to go and set some records straight in the new HQ. Go out and 'ground and pound' the very irritating KC Chiefs 😁😁 

I have bashed Carr and I will bash any player not playing to the highest level. (Carr,Ferrell, Hall, Hurst are some examples) But I do like what I am hearing from Carr as about not caring what others have to say about him. I think that he always paid to much attention to that. Carr feels disrespected and maybe he is correct maybe he is not, but respect for a QB comes from winning games it's just that simple. Yeah yeah yeah his prior teams where trash. It's just that simple you win as a QB you get respect around the league. Carr's best year in 2016 he was named a top 15 player in the NFL top 100. What was the main thing that year? He won.

If he can get this vastly improved team to 9 wins or more then respect will come. Also putting up any sort of fight in KC will help too. 

I had a dream last night the Raiders were playing their second game of the season.  We won our first game and were up 31 to 7 in the second game at the time of my dream.  Hopefully dreams come true and we dominate this season.

I do not think Carr's issue has ever been practice.  You can almost hear the inner dialogue when things break down.  Instead of working on his biceps he needs to work on agility and speed to make something happen when nothing else is there.  Not necessarily taking unnecessary risks but picking up 3-4 yards instead of throwing it away would put this team in a much better position.  He can work on it but until he can prove that when the pressure is on and stay focused I will have my doubts.  I hope it works because physically he has the ability.

On 5/10/2020 at 1:07 PM, bucksavage1 said:

+Carr also doesn't extend plays beyond the 1st read. If the play breaks down he either throws it away, checks down. Gruden biggest vocal complaint

+ Carr also isn't productive redzone 

+Doesn't escape pressure

+Awful vs winning teams

+Awful in games 40 degrees or below

+ 2nd worst record in NFL history after 6 seasons of starting.

Carr is not a winner, he says its on him after every game but he does nothing to change that, wins are all that matters and Carr doesn't win enough 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, NCOUGHMAN said:

How do you practice scrambling? Or extending plays? 🤔

you can't, you either have it or you don't and Carr doesn't have it 39-55 is enough proof 

Edited by BigPerro
  • Like 1