Draft Day Thread: Day 3

MrOaktown_56

Just now, massraider said:

I don't see who trades for Gabe, and I'm fine with keeping him.

Gabe and Tyrell need to be sure they are healthy and in shape for camp. We can save 20 mill in cap room by cutting both of them.

I'm not keen on cutting tyrell unless he doesn't play well this coming year.

1 minute ago, oakdb36 said:

I don't think we're getting a 5th for him.

Maybe not. But at this point the depth at guard seems like total overkill. Gabe is good enough to have value to some team out there as a very solid starter, but his price tag hurts our leverage as does our glutton of interior offensive linemen. At this point even if we only got a 6th or even if the pick wasn't until next year would it be worth it just to get something and to save the 10 million? I would say it would be. Guards just aren't worth that much money, especially when you have a really solid one, and guys that stepped in last year without a drop off and just invested multiple mid round picks to get a guy. Not to mention when they are playing alongside a high first round pick and the highest paid RT. 

Gabe is solid, but at this point save the money and take whatever we can get. Surely someone out there would offer a late 5th or 6th even if it's not until 21 for him. 

Just now, massraider said:

I don't see who trades for Gabe, and I'm fine with keeping him.

Gabe and Tyrell need to be sure they are healthy and in shape for camp. We can save 20 mill in cap room by cutting both of them.

If we cut either this year without getting something back in return, we're idiots. 

Screw the saving 20 mil. We literally never do anything with "all the cap space we have". 

1 minute ago, Mr Raider said:

Maybe not. But at this point the depth at guard seems like total overkill. Gabe is good enough to have value to some team out there as a very solid starter, but his price tag hurts our leverage as does our glutton of interior offensive linemen. At this point even if we only got a 6th or even if the pick wasn't until next year would it be worth it just to get something and to save the 10 million? I would say it would be. Guards just aren't worth that much money, especially when you have a really solid one, and guys that stepped in last year without a drop off and just invested multiple mid round picks to get a guy. Not to mention when they are playing alongside a high first round pick and the highest paid RT. 

Gabe is solid, but at this point save the money and take whatever we can get. Surely someone out there would offer a late 5th or 6th even if it's not until 21 for him. 

Yeah, i'd take anything we can get. I think he's getting cut if not traded. Problem is teams probably expect it as well and they'd be able to sign him for way less than 9.6M.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, massraider said:

By the way, if Gabe bounces back, and we happy with him, Simpson could be Icognito's replacement at LG. 

That line would look great.

Can also move on from Gabe Jackson/Tyrell Williams next offseason, save $21M and let Simpson/Edwards replace them. 

• Like 2

Just now, MrOaktown_56 said:

I'm not keen on cutting tyrell unless he doesn't play well this coming year.

I would move on from Gabe now personally. But Tyrell gets this upcoming season bare minimum. He may be slightly overpaid, but he was productive for a guy that was banged up last season and we now have a WR core that will likely only have him in the top 3 or 4 at the position with more than a year of experience (unless Agahlor has a great camp). The cap savings doesn't make as much sense as it does with Jackson. And I think Williams could be in for a great year with the added weapons around him. He's a guy who won't have the huge bulk numbers but makes more big plays when he isn't the first or second option. The plan was never for him to be THE guy. He was supposed to be the 2 to Brown. If Ruggs hits like we should he expecting for the 12th pick Williams becomes the 3rd receiving option and 4th option at best overall on offense. 

So after the season it could make a lot of sense if Ruggs and Edwards play like we hope they will. I just don't see Williams not making it through camp. Gruden clearly wants a super deep WR core. 

• Like 1