2020 Offense Outlook

incognito_man

12 minutes ago, craig said:

Would you or somebody explain the difference?  

Outside zone goes to the outside of the formation, while wide zone might start horizontal but then it goes vertical before getting outside the formation

https://mobile.twitter.com/coachpaulalex/status/1084104656748347392?lang=en

Any anything Alex Gibbs teaching zone is Wide zone (even if it says outside, Gibbs is the wide zone grandfather and it probably pisses him off more than anyone if you say outside).

EdJIziAWAAUnB1y?format=jpg&name=large

This surprises me as I recall complaining quite a bit about our lack of vertical attack. Although the Lions week 17 game may have taken us from middle of the pack to #2 as I don't recall a ball that didn't go 20 yards that day.

For everyone that wants to emulate the Niners, don't know how offensive success is going to be sustainable after an off-season where DCs get the analytics and see they don't need to worry about the ball traveling 20+ yards.

43 minutes ago, Packerraymond said:

This surprises me as I recall complaining quite a bit about our lack of vertical attack. Although the Lions week 17 game may have taken us from middle of the pack to #2 as I don't recall a ball that didn't go 20 yards that day.

For everyone that wants to emulate the Niners, don't know how offensive success is going to be sustainable after an off-season where DCs get the analytics and see they don't need to worry about the ball traveling 20+ yards.

I wonder how many of those deep passes were throwaways after the original play broke down. 

Edited by Brat&Beer
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Packerraymond said:

It'll be interesting to see.  Their receiving group was pretty weak last year, and their best targets were a route runner who's deep speed isn't quite there anymore, a rookie who excels at YAC, and Kittle.  Not a lot of reason to throw deep, even if you badly want to.  Most of their damage was just getting the defense moving laterally the wrong way and hitting someone who's going to clear, and they still have big talent there, and with Aiyuk and T. Benjamin it's clear they'd like to try aiming downfield a bit more.  

On 7/17/2020 at 12:37 AM, Shanedorf said:

I watched Dallas/GB game earlier this year and just quickly watched GB/KC last night in compressed mode as I fell asleep.

Aaron Jones and GB O line was MVP of both those games.  After watching those games I think Aaron Jones is a criminally underrated player.   Although RBs seem to always be a deep position league wide and are more O line dependent.  

Only 1 football.  Drafting RB gives you depth and cheaper replacement for next season, but doesn't necessarily make you better.

How much will exchanging Bulaga for Wagner hurt do you think?

Given the likelihood of only one preseason game, the early regular season games are likely to be scrappy.

In my opinion, the teams most likely to win those games are the ones that tread the best line between the simplicity of the scheme, versus the impenetrability of that scheme to the other side. Young players can only absorb so much and they need to know just enough to do their job without appreciable hesitation. Later in the season, with more practice, that isn't as important, since there is more time to build in complexity.

If a team gets it wrong, here is what to expect:  Seahawks QB Hasselbeck "We want the ball and we're gonna score" (Al Harris, wildcard game 2003, pick six)

https://youtu.be/_RFOwmNDfPY

(Youtube only allowed me to post a link).   

(ps originally put Vinatieri's name up by mistake (now altered to Hasselbeck).

Edited by OneTwoSixFive

57 minutes ago, dll2000 said:

I watched Dallas/GB game earlier this year and just quickly watched GB/KC last night in compressed mode as I fell asleep.

Aaron Jones and GB O line was MVP of both those games.  After watching those games I think Aaron Jones is a criminally underrated player.   Although RBs seem to always be a deep position league wide and are more O line dependent.  

Only 1 football.  Drafting RB gives you depth and cheaper replacement for next season, but doesn't necessarily make you better.

How much will exchanging Bulaga for Wagner hurt do you think?

Last year's Bulaga versus last year's Wagner?  It'll hurt a lot.

But Bulaga is breaking down.  It is highly likely that this year for him will/would not be like last year.

Wagner was also injured last year and didn't play well.  Though over his career, Wagner has been good.  Not as good as Bulaga, but still good.

Guess I feel like there will be a difference at RT.  But there likely would have been if Bulaga had stayed as well.

Best thing I can say about Wagner is that he's faced pass rushers within the division for years.  Hunter/Mack and even Flowers (who he practiced against) will not be unknown guys.

Overall?  Not very worried about Wagner at RT.  Also like the depth on the o-line.  We have the ability to flip Turner out there, or maybe even Lane Taylor and that's assuming that the raw physical talent of Nigman is not ready for the NFL yet.

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, OneTwoSixFive said:

Given the likelihood of only one preseason game, the early regular season games are likely to be scrappy.

In my opinion, the teams most likely to win those games are the ones that tread the best line between the simplicity of the scheme, versus the impenetrability of that scheme to the other side. Young players can only absorb so much and they need to know just enough to do their job without appreciable hesitation. Later in the season, with more practice, that isn't as important, since there is more time to build in complexity.

If a team gets it wrong, here is what to expect:  Seahawks QB Adam Viniatieri "We want the ball and we're gonna score" (Al Harris, wildcard game 2003, pick six)

https://youtu.be/_RFOwmNDfPY

(Youtube only allowed me to post a link).

Animal House Bluto GIF - AnimalHouse Bluto WasItOver - Discover ...

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, vegas492 said:

Last year's Bulaga versus last year's Wagner?  It'll hurt a lot.

But Bulaga is breaking down.  It is highly likely that this year for him will/would not be like last year.

Wagner was also injured last year and didn't play well.  Though over his career, Wagner has been good.  Not as good as Bulaga, but still good.

Guess I feel like there will be a difference at RT.  But there likely would have been if Bulaga had stayed as well.

Best thing I can say about Wagner is that he's faced pass rushers within the division for years.  Hunter/Mack and even Flowers (who he practiced against) will not be unknown guys.

Overall?  Not very worried about Wagner at RT.  Also like the depth on the o-line.  We have the ability to flip Turner out there, or maybe even Lane Taylor and that's assuming that the raw physical talent of Nigman is not ready for the NFL yet.

I think same thing can be said about Prince for Bears.  He was good player slowing down for sure.

Bulaga is a fairly local kid to me btw.  So is Tonyan.   Tonyan is actually nephew of my boss.  Don't know about his immediate family, but his extended family is fairly well to do and has long ties to area he is from.  Lots of places and plaques with Tonyan name on it.  

So while I loathe the Packers I like to see them do well personally.   

I think big X factor of this year isn't coaching or talent, but who can avoid off field drama in year of Covid fear and political rage and stay focused on football.

The biggest X factor this year is health.  With no pre-season games, it'll be interesting.  GB seems to have a very good locker room with a lot of veterans who have won a lot of games.  I don't think there is much to fear relating to political rage.

It's the hamstrings that I worry most about.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, vegas492 said:

The biggest X factor this year is health.  With no pre-season games, it'll be interesting.  GB seems to have a very good locker room with a lot of veterans who have won a lot of games.  I don't think there is much to fear relating to political rage.

It's the hamstrings that I worry most about.

Yes, GB should be one of teams with less to worry about with off field issues.

from PackersWire

https://packerswire.usatoday.com/2020/07/23/packers-among-handful-of-teams-with-offensive-continuity-entering-2020/

"Adam Levitan of Establish the Run scoured through the 32 teams and found only eight teams going into 2020 with the same head coach, offensive coordinator, starting quarterback and top two wide receivers from last season. The Packers joined the Atlanta Falcons, Baltimore Ravens, Detroit Lions, Kansas City Chiefs, Seattle Seahawks, Tennessee Titans and Pittsburgh Steelers among the eight teams with all five important offensive positions returning this season.

The Packers also return quarterbacks coach/passing game coordinator Luke Getsy, their two top running backs (Aaron Jones, Jamaal Williams) and four of their five starting offensive linemen, further highlighting the carryover from last year’s offense."

at 23.5 pts/ game - GB offense was ranked # 15 in the league