Post Draft Big Picture Bears Thoughts

dll2000

Ah.  I just feel like Pace's fate is tied to Trubisky's, especially since he didn't even try to take a swing on an upside QB with this draft.  What's left to evaluate on Pace? He rebuilt the team and hired an exciting likeable coach, put together a monster defense, but delivered a dud of an offense and went all-in and built a team around a dud of a QB. 

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, RunningVaccs said:

Ah.  I just feel like Pace's fate is tied to Trubisky's, especially since he didn't even try to take a swing on an upside QB with this draft.  What's left to evaluate on Pace? He rebuilt the team and hired an exciting likeable coach, put together a monster defense, but delivered a dud of an offense and went all-in and built a team around a dud of a QB. 

That is fan and media perspective.  I am not sure Bears feel same way.   I think they really like Pace overall and would like to keep him.  

Of course if chorus gets loud enough they will react.  They always do.  

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, dll2000 said:

That is fan and media perspective.  I am not sure Bears feel same way.   I think they really like Pace overall and would like to keep him.  

Of course if chorus gets loud enough they will react.  They always do.  

You're not wrong to think the McCaskeys tend towards patience, thinking it through I could see Pace getting a chance to do QB again but share Windy's low faith in him to get it right, although "mortgage the future for Lawrence" has a fairly straightforward appeal to it. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, RunningVaccs said:

You're not wrong to think the McCaskeys tend towards patience, thinking it through I could see Pace getting a chance to do QB again but share Windy's low faith in him to get it right, although "mortgage the future for Lawrence" has a fairly straightforward appeal to it. 

Justin Fields is a ridiculous talent as well. Next year's draft is loaded at QB.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, beardown3231 said:

Justin Fields is a ridiculous talent as well. Next year's draft is loaded at QB.

Haven't watched any of these guys save Lawrence myself, and then only because Clemson keeps getting into the college playoffs, but apparently NDSU has a real promising qb as well right now, that could be eligible to declare next year. He's been getting some big hype. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Epyon said:

Haven't watched any of these guys save Lawrence myself, and then only because Clemson keeps getting into the college playoffs, but apparently NDSU has a real promising qb as well right now, that could be eligible to declare next year. He's been getting some big hype. 

Yeah, Trey Lance. Newman at Georgia & Purdy at Iowa State look good also

• Like 2

Problem is we never tank.    SF built their contender team around multiple top 5 and top 10 draft slots and Belichick gifting them a qb.

We had one chance in 2017.   Now we are in that middle no mans land for foreseeable future.  

You are going to have to make a Rams or Philly trade to get up to top or get lucky on the 3rd QB choice of the draft.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, dll2000 said:

Problem is we never tank.    SF built their contender team around multiple top 5 and top 10 draft slots and Belichick gifting them a qb.

We had one chance in 2017.   Now we are in that middle no mans land for foreseeable future.  

You are going to have to make a Rams or Philly trade to get up to top or get lucky on the 3rd QB choice of the draft.

That’s one way to do it. The other way is to draft QBs often and hope you get lucky.

But hey we got the best available 5th round CB - hooray.

• Like 3

One positive is that I really can't find fault with how we drafted.  We made the most of our premium picks taking players who should be able to contribute now then loaded up with prospects with good upside in the 5th.  Even the two 7th round OTs made sense.

As for the rest our fortunes are probably tied to two things more than anything else.  1) Staying healthy, and 2) Executing on offense far better than we did in 2019.  The Bears have playoff level talent but as a team they have to play up to 100% of that level or it won't make any difference who the QB is.  This is also true of the coaching staff and especially Nagy as a play caller.  He has to do better as well.

4 hours ago, RunningVaccs said:

To reverse engineer it; what has to happen for the Bears to be good next year? I have my keys there, and I don't feel great about the chances.

I think Tru or Foles works off the competition, either Tru gets back to his 2018 himself or we have Foles.

The team needs to be healthy, no Hicks injury, DB's stay healthy.

Kmet and Graham have good seasons.

Thats pretty much the only 3 things that need to happen that are questionable.....Im not sure why everyone hates this team all of a sudden haha.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, abstract_thought said:

That’s one way to do it. The other way is to draft QBs often and hope you get lucky.

But hey we got the best available 5th round CB - hooray.

This bit of snark encapsulates my frustration with the team as it's constructed.  

I would be FINE with the team tanking until it's certain it's got it's QB and then build around that. If you get the QB, you have a window that is probably 3x as long as our current one. 

I think the keys to next year:

Coaching is biggest because the talent to win is adequate if the offense can pull its weight or some weight.   

How do you prepare the offense for the season?  Last years plan was clearly wrong way to go.   How are you going to use preseason and camp for position battles?  How are you going to get your guys better?  How do you keep people healthy with poor depth in light of all that?

What is offense's identity?  Nagy has been garbage at figuring out what his guys do well and doing that.  He knows it.  He has talked about it non stop.  Now he was to get better at it.   That's Belichick's famous saying.  Don't tell me what a guy can't do, tell me what he can do and lets figure out how to use that properly.

I think once you got your five O linemen figured out, you need to get them working together and simplify the assignments to minimize the mistakes.  

If you are going to wham block the edges with TEs on IZ then for Pete's sake figure out how to practice that block.  In 2 years we have been unable to execute that block consistently with ANY TE on roster.    They can't cut it and they can't wham it.  

How are you going to use Patterson, Cohen, and Mooney?  Not sure about Mooney yet, but Cohen and Patterson are weapons that need to be deployed properly within their skill sets.  Nagy has done a poor job at this.  I also don't buy this Cohen can't catch stuff.  That guy had sticky hands for 2 years before he had a bad one, but he clearly struggled as a dedicated slot receiver in 11 personnel with him as WR with Montgomery.   That doesn't seem to work.  He has to be the RB in 11 personnel for the mismatches to happen.  We are leaving explosive plays on the field by not properly utilizing our explosive players.  

If the defense is murdering you in team.  Figure it out.  Don't just have a ****ty session and call it a day.   Stop it.  Separate out the problem area or areas and work on it individually.  Whatever needs to happen, but don't waste all those reps for the QB again like last year.  

Have a physical package and then practice it.  If Holtz or Kmet is going to play FB for a series give them serious reps at it.  Do some of it live as much as rules allow.   

Defense is good.  Pagano is a good coach who knows what he is doing.  Leave him alone.

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, RunningVaccs said:

This bit of snark encapsulates my frustration with the team as it's constructed.  

I would be FINE with the team tanking until it's certain it's got it's QB and then build around that. If you get the QB, you have a window that is probably 3x as long as our current one. 

Lots of people say that and then when it happens people go nuts.

2 hours ago, dll2000 said:

Lots of people say that and then when it happens people go nuts.

We go nuts when they lose while attempting to win. If they went the route of the Jags and started announcing the intent to move guys (Fournette, Ngakoue) and began actually moving guys (Campbell, Ramsey, Foles), I think the sane Bears fans would understand the direction.

Still, I don't want them to do so, not yet anyway. If they want to wait a year or two, fine by me. The D is still championship contending.

If they do stink in 2020, it would be annoying as hell, but by 1/1/21, I'd be excited about a new franchise QB.

Edited by beardown3231