Run, run, pass, punt, are we headed back to this Bart Starr coaching philosophy of the 80's?

Skippy

Run, run, pass, punt, are we headed back to this Bart Starr coaching philosophy of the 80's? We have the worst receiving core in all of football and we just went thru the entire draft and didn't draft a receiver in the deepest receiver draft in modern day is inexcusable to me. 

1 minute ago, incognito_man said:

what will you do about it?

Likely make more really silly posts.

Comparing a draft class to an by gone era is a bit chicken little. This is a good football team with some good talent. We are going to be a strong run team and have a very capable QB still. Not seeing how this type of system won’t help him and this team is short sighted. 

one of the knocks on MM over the years was his lack of balance and run game. Only when AR was hurt did he run the ball.

like everyone else I wanted to see names I recognize but it didn’t happen. Also thought we were never going WR high we have a few why not try to grow them more and trust in past drafts. 

43 minutes ago, Skippy said:

Run, run, pass, punt, are we headed back to this Bart Starr coaching philosophy of the 80's? We have the worst receiving core in all of football and we just went thru the entire draft and didn't draft a receiver in the deepest receiver draft in modern day is inexcusable to me. 

The problem isnt our WR group being the "worst in football." We actually have a decently deep WR group. The problem is we're looking for that No. 2 guy. As has been stated several times, even by Gute, you weren't going to improve our WR group after round 2 this year, just wasn't going to happen. Even a 3rd round WR wasn't going to be as good as what we have. Moreover, there was no one left to take at 62. The top WRs were gone. 

So it came down to Round 1 and once Aiyuk was gone, there were no other WRs left the Packers had round 1 grades on. It's unfortunate but the board fell just about as bad as it could for us at 30. 

At this point, you're counting on Funchess to push for that No. 2 role and Lazard right behind him. Again, no rookie outside of round 1-2 was going to outperform those guys in 2020 anyways. 

Edited by packfanfb
  • Like 6

Just now, Mazrimiv said:

I don't like the WR group for GB as a whole. Adams alone prevents them from being labeled as the worst group in the league.

EQ returning will improve your outlook :)
Just throw him the ball. Thats all I ask. Throw it to him and let him make plays.

8 minutes ago, packfanfb said:

The problem isnt our WR group being the "worst in football." We actually have a decently deep WR group. The problem is we're looking for that No. 2 guy. As has been stated several times, even by Gute, you weren't going to improve our WR group after round 2 this year, just wasn't going to happen. Even a 3rd round WR wasn't going to be as good as what we have. Moreover, there was no one left to take at 62. The top WRs were gone. 

So it came down to Round 1 and once Aiyuk was gone, there were no other WRs left the Packers had round 1 grades on. It's unfortunate but the board fell just about as bad as it could for us at 30. 

At this point, you're counting on Funchess to push for that No. 2 role and Lazard right behind him. Again, no rookie outside of round 1-2 was going to outperform those guys in 2020 anyways. 

I mean, at this point the WR class as a whole had a bunch of 2's/3's.   There weren't a whole lot of true 1s in this year's group.  The Packers are throwing numbers at the position, and hoping something sticks.

• Like 1

Our group is more than good enough. They get open enough. They block well as was shown this past year. 
If AR targets them better they all have better stat lines. Not crapping on AR but he missed allot of open WR last year. Not with throws just not throwing to them due to his trust and INT issues.

If we could put a 17 on each WR wow imagine that. 

• Like 1

Not that it matters, but read an article a long time ago, before I could make my own decisions, that stated Bart Starr was a damn good offensive mind, who was hampered by hiring some of his buddies and a piss poor personnel department. That offense with Dickey, Lofton, Jefferson, Coffman, Ellis, was anything but 3 yards and a cloud of dust. It was damn fun to watch

Edited by cannondale
  • Like 3

Just now, Leader said:

Do we know this? Has somebody from the organization actually made this comment?

Not in anyone's best interest for that kind of detailed statement to be made.  That being said, I thought from the moment the SF trade up happened that the Niners knew they needed to move ahead of GB to get Aiyuk.  Then SF taking Aiyuk is what prompted GB to pull the trigger on trading up for Love, with Love being the last guy they had targeted for RD1 after Aiyuk was taken.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Mazrimiv said:

Not in anyone's best interest for that kind of detailed statement to be made.  That being said, I thought from the moment the SF trade up happened that the Niners knew they needed to move ahead of GB to get Aiyuk.  Then SF taking Aiyuk is what prompted GB to pull the trigger on trading up for Love, with Love being the last guy they had targeted for RD1 after Aiyuk was taken.

Don't know the exact timing but Gute said he was preparing to move down.