2021 NFL Draft Thread

Humble_Beast

1 minute ago, Rich7sena said:

I consider RT at 17 pretty good value. Safety would likely be a reach in both the first and second rounds.

Eh, I'd say most of the time a team takes a tackle early in the draft it's a LT. But I'm fine with a RT at #17 especially with Miller's extension looming. 

1 minute ago, Rich7sena said:

I would rather have Darrisaw or Cosmi. Both or either should be there at 17. However, Jenkins might be the best run blocker of any offensive lineman in the draft. I like Vera-Tucker, too, but I don't think he's necessarily a better guard than anyone else on the list (except maybe Cosmi). I think most question his ability to play tackle.

I like Darrisaw as well but I don't think he makes it to #17.  Cosmi would be a major reach at #17, imo. Vera-Tucker played well at LT for USC last year. 

1 minute ago, NYRaider said:

Eh, I'd say most of the time a team takes a tackle early in the draft it's a LT. But I'm fine with a RT at #17 especially with Miller's extension looming. 

What I'm saying is the talent at tackle should be great at 17--as in, the player's talent level is commensurate with going in the middle of the first round. I personally rank right tackle high on positional importance.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, NYRaider said:

I'm all in on signing Mitchell Schwartz and Tre Boston so that we don't have to reach for need at #17. Schwartz is supposed to be 100% by training camp, give him a 2 yr/$12M deal ($6M GTD) if the medicals check out. With the dead money that KC owes him and $6M from us he'd still be the 8th highest paid RT in the league. That'd allow us to target a developmental guy like Jackson Carman or Spencer Brown later in the draft. And if it doesn't workout we'd still have the mid-round rookie, Parker, and Good that can play RT and move on from him with 0 dead money after the season.

I agree with the idea you gotta go into the draft with as few starting spots empty as possible and draft BPA for the most part and not to fill holes.

But.... Jackson, Radunz etc are LTs Converting to RT.  
That was part of my point about exactly how leery of conversions are we?  If you expect a college LT to start at RT year 2, maybe year 1 if you don’t sign Schwartz why is that “okay” where as you wouldn’t drafts big CB with some S experience in round 4/5 to play CB and transition to FS possibly by year 2?

im not trying to Bust balls.  I’m asking a valid question of how likely we are to draft players and move them around a bit.  I ask these questions because it impacts preference on prospects.  Would we prefer to reach on T.Jenkins because of his experience at RT or do we wait a round of two and take Radunz, etc and move him to RT?

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, NYRaider said:

I like Darrisaw as well but I don't think he makes it to #17.  Cosmi would be a major reach at #17, imo. Vera-Tucker played well at LT for USC last year. 

Why don't you like Cosmi? I know he is not consistently ranked with some of the other guys mentioned in the first round but I wouldn't be surprised to see him go to Minnesota at 14. I see a player with elite pass protection ability without having that deep kick-step that is common from the position. From the tackles I have watched in this class, no one impresses me more from as a pass-protector than Cosmi. He also predictably tested very well.

His one weakness is pop and strength in the run game. Run blocking is something I think players can more easily develop as pros.

Sewell (top 5), Darrisaw/Slater (top 17).... big drop and 9-10 players with late round 1 to mid 3rd round grades.  I really don’t see a drastic difference between OT4 and OT8/9.  Why would you ever take Mayfield Or Jenkins at 17 over getting one of those 9-10 other players in rounds 2-3?

how is that any different then Mayock reaching for Arnette?  IF your drafting a RT at 17 be better be something really special.  I don’t see how special Jenkins and Mayfield Are over the Others in rounds 2-3.  

and this is exactly why good drafting teams don’t go into the draft HAVING to Fill A starting role For week 1 of the season.  we should be signing a veteran Stopgap and let the draft bird falls as it does and not reach For a RT.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, jimkelly02 said:

Sewell (top 5), Darrisaw/Slater (top 17).... big drop and 9-10 players with late round 1 to mid 3rd round grades.  I really don’t see a drastic difference between OT4 and OT8/9.  Why would you ever take Mayfield Or Jenkins at 17 over getting one of those 9-10 other players in rounds 2-3?

how is that any different then Mayock reaching for Arnette?  IF your drafting a RT at 17 be better be something really special.  I don’t see how special Jenkins and Mayfield Are over the Others in rounds 2-3.  

and this is exactly why good drafting teams don’t go into the draft HAVING to Fill A starting role For week 1 of the season.  we should be signing a veteran Stopgap and let the draft bird falls as it does and not reach For a RT.

You're imputing your assessment of the draft on the rest of us. I disagree with the take that OT4 and OT8/9 are the same guy.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Dessie said:

Seems risky to me to trade up for a player that you are then asking to switch sides without ever seeing him play there. I havent seen anyone project him as a RT ? 

If we are worried that Miller isn’t going to re-sign then it makes sense but I think if we are looking at a RT then there are better fits. 

He can do it. Making that transition early in your career is very doable.

Just now, NYRaider said:

Kolton Miller said he had issues playing RT at UCLA and felt a lot better at LT. 

Sure. It's not 100%. But Darrisaw has a rare movement athleticism combo and can play right now. I wouldn't be surprised at all to see him play anywhere on the OL and do it well.

5 hours ago, NYRaider said:

I posted this in the Zay Jones thread as well. 

I still think we take a swing on a rookie later in the draft. Anthony Schwartz or Josh Imatorbhebhe would be my preference.

Imatorbhebhe was a former 4* recruit that transferred from USC to Illinois, he didn't have great production for Illinois, 55 catches, 931 yards (16.9 ypc), 12 TD in 17 games. But the physical tool set is definitely intriguing. 

His results from his pro day:

Mesurables: 6'1" 218, 32 3/8" arms, 9 1/4" hands

40 time: 4.48 (64th percentile)

Vertical leap: 46.5" (100th percentile)

Broad jump: 11'02" (99th percentile)

20 yard shuttle: 4.38s (16th percentile) 

3-Cone Drill:  7.10s (22nd percentile) 

Bench reps: 24 (98th percentile) 

Seems like a guy @Frankie2Gunz would like. Big, strong, impressive athlete with great hands and a terror at the catch point. 

If we don't get a speedster, this is one of the guys I want.

4 minutes ago, Rich7sena said:

You're imputing your assessment of the draft on the rest of us. I disagree with the take that OT4 and OT8/9 are the same guy.

Im Stating MY OPINION... in a discussion.  I’m not trying to force MY opinion on anyone.  That’s what people do in a fair and balanced discussion.  Maybe I could have used IMOs before some statements, but I don’t feel my intent was to push my opinions on Anyone.  If you feel That way I genuinely Apologize.  That’s not what I’m trying to Do.

I also didn’t say their the same player... I said there not dramatically different.  Look at 10 different OT rankings and you’ll see a wide degree of variance from OT4 to OT9.  

If you can provide a good reasoning to take Teven Jenkins/ Mayfield at 17 i have an open mind.  But From watching a lot of tape I see not much difference from Jenkins and the rest of the pack.  He’s a quick setting RT in pass pro.  That’s a major concern for me.  I think there a few OT Prospects with much better skills now and upside in pass pro.  If I’m drafting a RT at 17 He darn well better be high level In pass pro.  I don’t see that in Jenkins.  Some even think he might be a G In the NFL.  

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Rich7sena said:

I’d also like to add thank you for expressing the issue to me in a reasonable way, instead of firing off all crazy.  I appreciate your ability to confront An issue by being upfront and with a respectful tone.  As I said before I was only trying to state my opinion not force it on others.

13 minutes ago, MrOaktown_56 said:

If we don't get a speedster, this is one of the guys I want.

I also really like Imatorbhebhe if we take a WR in rounds 4-6.  There are a lot of small WRs in that range this year so I could see him going towards the top of that range.  He needs a nickname badly though. I can’t even try to pronounce that.

16 minutes ago, MrOaktown_56 said:

Sure. It's not 100%. But Darrisaw has a rare movement athleticism combo and can play right now. I wouldn't be surprised at all to see him play anywhere on the OL and do it well.

Yeah I'm sure Darrisaw could make the transition. Although I think we'd probably have to move up to draft him.