2021 NFL Draft Thread

Humble_Beast

2 hours ago, jimkelly02 said:

Since I’m so ignorant about offensive tackles please explain to me why Jenkins is such a great player to take at 17 and why he is so much better then the players who are forecast to be available in round 2.   

Easy answer. 5th year option for an OT is extremely important. 

Also if the Raiders view one of the OTs as one of the best players on their board come pick 17. Why pass on that cause it’s a deep OT class. 

Edited by agarcia34

2 hours ago, jimkelly02 said:

Since I’m so ignorant about offensive tackles please explain to me why Jenkins is such a great player to take at 17 and why he is so much better then the players who are forecast to be available in round 2.   

Jenkins is a good fit at 17 because 1) the Raiders need a right tackle and 2) Jenkins has some rare traits at the position. He has shown he can dominate NFL talent in the run and pass game. He shows the ability to generate strength incredibly quickly to get defenders immediately off balance in the run game before move to the second level. He has the rare ability of maintaining strength and leverage while moving laterally in outside zone. He knows how to use his hands to defeat lengthy edge rushers and knows how to redirect his massive frame when he gets behind. There is no tackle projected to be available at 48 that I think has Jenkins' traits.

The only player who I would definitely take over Jenkins at 17 is Paye if he's there. Every other player projected to be there is generally in the same tier as Jenkins for me. And Jenkins isn't even my top tackle projected to be there at 17, I like Darrisaw and Cosmi better--but if both are gone at 17, I would not mind taking Jenkins as a consolation prize.

Your turn.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, agarcia34 said:

Easy answer. 5th year option for an OT is extremely important. 

I honestly don’t understand your answer.  If you’d care to elaborate I’d appreciate it.  

I actually would love to draft Darrisaw at 17... I’d even trade up a bit to get him. 

But that doesn’t explain why Jenkins at 17 is a good pick.... my claim is he isn’t substantially better then a handful of OTs that we could get in round 2 or we could trade down in round 1 and get.... and keep the 5th year option.

4 minutes ago, jimkelly02 said:

I honestly don’t understand your answer.  If you’d care to elaborate I’d appreciate it.  

I actually would love to draft Darrisaw at 17... I’d even trade up a bit to get him. 

But that doesn’t explain why Jenkins at 17 is a good pick.... my claim is he isn’t substantially better then a handful of OTs that we could get in round 2 or we could trade down in round 1 and get.... and keep the 5th year option.

My bad then didn’t read all the post y’all had didn’t have the whole story on the convo you were having. My fault 

12 minutes ago, Rich7sena said:

Jenkins is a good fit at 17 because 1) the Raiders need a right tackle and 2) Jenkins has some rare traits at the position. He has shown he can dominate NFL talent in the run and pass game. He shows the ability to generate strength incredibly quickly to get defenders immediately off balance in the run game before move to the second level. He has the rare ability of maintaining strength and leverage while moving laterally in outside zone. He knows how to use his hands to defeat lengthy edge rushers and knows how to redirect his massive frame when he gets behind. There is no tackle projected to be available at 48 that I think has Jenkins' traits.

The only player who I would definitely take over Jenkins at 17 is Paye if he's there. Every other player projected to be there is generally in the same tier as Jenkins for me. And Jenkins isn't even my top tackle projected to be there at 17, I like Darrisaw and Cosmi better--but if both are gone at 17, I would not mind taking Jenkins as a consolation prize.

Your turn.

First.... this isn’t a combative situation.... at least from my end.  When you said I was being rude and imposing my rankings on others or whatever .... I apologized, even though I don’t believe that actually happened, out of respect because you apparently felt I did. Then You come back with a side comment about my ignorance.  Kind of uncalled for to be honest.  If we can keep this civil I’m interested in discussing but if it gets heated I absolutely could care less and will stop replying.

Again im actually pro RT in round 1 in many circumstances.  My favorite player at 17 is Darrisaw.  I just don’t think Jenkins is a value at 17, while he has some benefits as you listed I think has enough negatives to be ranked in the second tier of OTs. I see taking any OT at 17 outside of Darrisaw and Slater as a reach, similar to Arnette at 19.  That drew massive complaints.

18 minutes ago, agarcia34 said:

My bad then didn’t read all the post y’all had didn’t have the whole story on the convo you were having. My fault 

No biggie.... I’d like to hear your opinion on Drafting a OT at 17 if Darrisaw and Slater are gone.... do you think it’s a reach to take a OT? Would you? Etc etc 

I’ve on the RT in the 1st bandwaggon for months, mostly because of where we are picking (and I’ve wanted Trent Brown gone since October). So many quality RT’s. Darrishaw, the guy from Notre Dame I think is super underrated, and much more. I think DT and S are more pressing needs but there’s definitely no DT worth picking at #17, and I’m not a fan of the 1st Round Safety class unless Moehrig keeps climbing boards. 

Edited by BayRaider

2 minutes ago, MrOaktown_56 said:

He's the one player who is considered a reach who I actually really want. I don't see any way he isn't very good in the NFL.

Yeah, I think he’s gonna keep climbing the boards. I’m tired of reaches but if he’s a universal Top 25 player by the time the draft comes I’m all in. Excellent awareness, ball skills, single high, zone coverage, and man coverage (though he does need to get better in man). 

Only area of weakness is run support, and he’s certainly better than Delpit was last year in that category. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, BayRaider said:

Yeah, I think he’s gonna keep climbing the boards. I’m tired of reaches but if he’s a universal Top 25 player by the time the draft comes I’m all in. Excellent awareness, ball skills, single high, zone coverage, and man coverage (though he does need to get better in man). 

Only area of weakness is run support, and he’s certainly better than Delpit was last year in that category. 

I think he is. He has speed, instincts, ball skills, etc. And I'd say he's versatile if he needs to move around from single high in certain situations. Plus I think he's pretty good in man as a whole. He closes so fast. No easy completions with him.

• Like 1

Moehrig in the 1st, Stokes in the 2nd (if he falls that far..), with Yannick in Free Agency and we have a very revamped Secondary/Pass Rush. Something we vastly need against the Chiefs and Chargers. Stokes not running a combine 40 concerns me, but big fan of his size and tape. Still think Arnette is best suited for Nickel unless he proves otherwise. 

27 minutes ago, jimkelly02 said:

No biggie.... I’d like to hear your opinion on Drafting a OT at 17 if Darrisaw and Slater are gone.... do you think it’s a reach to take a OT? Would you? Etc etc 

Now with pass rusher taken care of. I’m big on taking an OT in the first round. Think they pretty much have too at this point. I’m big on Teven I really like his aggressive style in the run game. I like how he is a natural RT and not a LT even though he had some starts at LT. His style of play is very fun to watch they way he finishes his blocks in the run game. This Raiders offensive line lacks a mean streak. He has some issues like short arms so there would be some concerns with pass blocking. 

Think an ideal situation would be to trade down 5-10 spots and then get an OT but one thing this Raiders team has shown is that they don’t trade down. 

31 minutes ago, agarcia34 said:

Now with pass rusher taken care of. I’m big on taking an OT in the first round. Think they pretty much have too at this point. I’m big on Teven I really like his aggressive style in the run game. I like how he is a natural RT and not a LT even though he had some starts at LT. His style of play is very fun to watch they way he finishes his blocks in the run game. This Raiders offensive line lacks a mean streak. He has some issues like short arms so there would be some concerns with pass blocking. 

Think an ideal situation would be to trade down 5-10 spots and then get an OT but one thing this Raiders team has shown is that they don’t trade down. 

Trading down would be great, but it would be very risky considering how tackle needy teams are all throughout the first round. The Dolphins, WFT, Bears, Colts, and Titans are the next 5 picks after the Raiders and all need a left or right tackle (or both).

I think it's important to consider that Teven Jenkins is somewhat of a late comer regarding his first round projection status. Everyone talks effusively about how great he is, and then concludes that he's a late first/second round pick. I think his pick projection has more to do with marketing than anything else. Because he wasn't projected to go in the first round a month ago means he shouldn't rise as high as the mid-first because Youtubers hadn't watched enough of him two months ago.

I, personally, didn't watch Jenkins until a few weeks ago and I wasn't expecting much. My first exposure to him was a clip posted by Daniel Jeremiah of him getting straight-armed by Ronnie Perkins. He's the real deal, though. I expect the NFL likes him a lot more than the internet.

40 minutes ago, agarcia34 said:

Not sying we need this in round 1 but pass rush is not close to being taken care of.  Our edge rushers potential in significantly decreased if we do not get  an interior pass rush.