2021 Draft Thread

Abe56

30 minutes ago, Bobby816 said:

For me what’s hurting these Miami Edge guys is that they all produced. I just can’t see Phillips, Rousseau and Roche all being great at the next level. But their play at the U, says they should. So I think it’s a system thing. Like a Texas Tech QB for example.

Manny Diaz's DE or OLB never went in 1st. 

Phillips had showed his potential as freshman for UCLA so we give him a benefit of doubt I suppose.

10 hours ago, JetsandI said:

Interesting part is that Collins isn't keen of pass rushing only.   That would be perfect for Jets.

I've been banging the Collins drum since January. He's a perfect scheme fit.

6 hours ago, xenajets said:

15.5 sacks in his last full year. Sat out 2020 because of covid as did many top prospects. Not sure how anyone can argue he doesn’t have evidence to back his claims as a first round pick. 

I'll argue it right now. 7 of his sacks came in a two-week span against two of the worst o-lines in CFB. Watch the tape, he did nothing impressive to earn those sacks. Also, he's at his best rushing from the inside. We're good on interior pass rush, we need an edge presence.

10 hours ago, Bronx Born and Raised said:

I was thinking that 5 Tier 1 CBs will be drafted in round 1 so whether one of these 5 are available at #23 is debatable.  To say that an equivalent level of CB talent would be available in middle rounds seems counter intuitive.  I think Tier 1 OL runs deeper.   So I think CB at #23 and OL at #34 makes most sense since it will get us high value players at positions of greatest need.

What are the strengths of next years draft?  I guess we won't know our strong positions of need until next year.  I won't be clear which players drafted this year will fully develop within 1 year.  We can only hope.

There aren't even 5 tier 1 CB's in this draft. There are three - Surtain Jr, Farley, and Horn.

Hoping Farley falls because of the back surgery. He's a bonafide stud.

5 hours ago, xenajets said:

You said nothing to back it up. He got 15.5 sacks. How’s that nothing? I get he may not be your favourite prospect but you can’t argue he doesn’t have facts to back his round one status up because he does.

You know who else had a ton of sacks in college?

Vernon Gholston.

Context matters. Throw the tape on, he's 100% right. The biggest thing Rousseau has going for him is his size, any talent evaluator can see that he stepped in s**t to get more than half his sacks and there's nothing impressive about that.

8 hours ago, KingOfNewYork said:

Yeah, I think at the end of the day we're in a great position to bring in an impact player at a position of need. There's not a lot of guys I'd hate at 23.

We're in a sweet spot at 23 (my lucky number too). Very possible we move from that spot too. With all the QB's and WR's going early this year, someone's bound to fall. Maybe we get lucky and see a guy like Slater start to slide into the mid teens and jump up a few spots to grab him.

Having draft capital isn't just about making as many picks as possible, it's about being able to control the draft board and having the flexibility to move up if the right player/value is there, or down if there's a surplus of viable options remaining. This is why we hired JD, because he's a wizard when it comes to this.

4 hours ago, Bobby816 said:

JD just doesn’t strike me as a trade up guy often.

I could see situations where he moves up from 23 if someone like Slater or Surtain falls or for a second round pick if a target is surprisingly available in the middle/end of the round.  

Of course, could also see him trading down if the board is murky/poor. 

Edited by NewAge

4 hours ago, jetjuice said:

You know who else had a ton of sacks in college?

Vernon Gholston.

Context matters. Throw the tape on, he's 100% right. The biggest thing Rousseau has going for him is his size, any talent evaluator can see that he stepped in s**t to get more than half his sacks and there's nothing impressive about that.

Whatever on the Gholston comparison. 

Just watch is highlights and you can see he is a factor in getting those sacks. Will some be because of good coverage etc sure. But even when we had prime Revis and Cro we didn’t have anyone getting those level of sacks so I think you are just hating for no reason. Iv watched his tape and he looks a very good prospect. 

57 minutes ago, Bobby816 said:

Quite frankly after adding Lawson... edge rusher isn’t a huge need for us. So I don’t want a guy in the 1st few rounds. Let Huff, Zuniga and Curry handle the DE spot opposite Lawson

It’s all about value. I’m not even saying GR should be got at all costs. However a combination of the four pass rushers you mentioned doesn’t exactly make me think we are sorted at the position. 

• Like 1

An article on why Wilson over Fields. Nothing earth shattering but just another voice on why Zach. The one interesting part is one reason I want him; college system. Lawrence and Fields operated under a great system with great players. Not so Zach.

https://jetsxfactor.com/2021/04/11/why-zach-wilson-is-the-right-choice-over-justin-fields-sam-darnold-podcast/

Some more light reading advanced metrics for RB. In short, Gainwell for pass catching back, Williams and Herbert for traditional rushing back, and Williams or Stephenson for goal line work.

Overall, Williams appears to be the best based in these metrics.

https://jetsxfactor.com/2021/04/10/2021-nfl-draft-comparing-the-top-running-backs-advanced-numbers/

2 minutes ago, JetsandI said:

pass receiving RB is lightly used in that offense anyway.

Perhaps, but for a young QB entering the league, it is a nice safety valve. I like that he is good at receiving and pass pro. Very important and that is a knock on Etienne; great receiver but poorer pass pro.