2021 Draft Thread

Abe56

38 minutes ago, xrade said:

I know many of you don’t want to hear this but I can see OLB at 23. Come next year, we will only have 2 OLB on the roster - Cashman and Phillips. Neither of which inspires confidence. I consider Huff and Zuniga a DE. Also, Saleh likes LB’s for his D. If Collins is there at 23, he may be the pick. I don’t think there are any other LB worthy of pick 23, but who knows what theses guys see sometimes. 

Interesting part is that Collins isn't keen of pass rushing only.   That would be perfect for Jets.

36 minutes ago, xrade said:

I understand but the question was who do you think will be there at 23 and not 34?

I agree on OL being a major need for us and I will be happy with one at 23 or 34. All this you mentioned save Creed will most likely be gone by 23.

To have no clue. I’d bet Sewell and Slater will be gone. Anyone after that I don’t know. Same as I think Surtain and Horn will be gone. Farley and Newsome I don’t know.

My point is merely that I think there’s serval OLineman worthy of the 23-34 pick. Where I only see 4 CBS worthy of that. And that next tier of CBS I like. I do like the next tier of OLineman as well... I just value OL more so than CB for us

I was thinking that 5 Tier 1 CBs will be drafted in round 1 so whether one of these 5 are available at #23 is debatable.  To say that an equivalent level of CB talent would be available in middle rounds seems counter intuitive.  I think Tier 1 OL runs deeper.   So I think CB at #23 and OL at #34 makes most sense since it will get us high value players at positions of greatest need.

What are the strengths of next years draft?  I guess we won't know our strong positions of need until next year.  I won't be clear which players drafted this year will fully develop within 1 year.  We can only hope.

Let's just use last year as a gauge for how it will play out. 

Picks 1-22 last year

3 Quarterbacks

4 DL (2 EDGE and 2 DT)

4 Cornerbacks

5 OL, all tackles FWIW

1 LB

5 WR

So if this year follows a similar pattern let's say 

5 QBs(Lawrence, Wilson, Jones, Fields, Lance)

2 DL at least

5 OL(Sewell, Slater, AVT, Darrisaw and Jenkins)

1 LB

5 WR/TE(Pitts, Chase, Smith, Moore and Waddle)

4 DBs(Surtain, Horn, Moehrig and either Farley/Newsome)

Now with us we'd likely have say Farley there or Zaven Collins who can make plays all over the front 7, take a versatile OL like Humphrey or Dickerson, grab a riser like Jackson Carman who's moving up boards, take a guy like Najee Harris who can be your workhorse back early on while Wilson finds his game(think Dak and Zeke)

So overall the one thing that I know for sure is we're going to have plenty of options including moving back and getting more picks. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, KingOfNewYork said:

Let's just use last year as a gauge for how it will play out. 

Picks 1-22 last year

3 Quarterbacks

4 DL (2 EDGE and 2 DT)

4 Cornerbacks

5 OL, all tackles FWIW

1 LB

5 WR

So if this year follows a similar pattern let's say 

5 QBs(Lawrence, Wilson, Jones, Fields, Lance)

2 DL at least

5 OL(Sewell, Slater, AVT, Darrisaw and Jenkins)

1 LB

5 WR/TE(Pitts, Chase, Smith, Moore and Waddle)

4 DBs(Surtain, Horn, Moehrig and either Farley/Newsome)

Now with us we'd likely have say Farley there or Zaven Collins who can make plays all over the front 7, take a versatile OL like Humphrey or Dickerson, grab a riser like Jackson Carman who's moving up boards, take a guy like Najee Harris who can be your workhorse back early on while Wilson finds his game(think Dak and Zeke)

So overall the one thing that I know for sure is we're going to have plenty of options including moving back and getting more picks. 

I like the write up. It just holds not standing point. Bc a lot of teams draft based on need and bpa. For example you can compare the WR class this year to last years Bc they’re close. But the OT class last year was better. So of course they went higher. 

9 minutes ago, Bobby816 said:

I like the write up. It just holds not standing point. Bc a lot of teams draft based on need and bpa. For example you can compare the WR class this year to last years Bc they’re close. But the OT class last year was better. So of course they went higher. 

But the OG class is better but will teams draft a Guard that high. I guess its unknown. 

Then you have those 3 or 4 picks no one is expecting in the top 15/20 and guys slide down the board. 

9 minutes ago, KingOfNewYork said:

But the OG class is better but will teams draft a Guard that high. I guess its unknown. 

Then you have those 3 or 4 picks no one is expecting in the top 15/20 and guys slide down the board. 

For me it’s about getting high level starters that you can see on your team for years. OL fits that more so than CB. We just drafted Becton high and followed that by hopefully hitting on Mims. It would be incredible if JD for an encore drafts Wilson at 2 and knew protecting him and getting weapons for him is still the priority. And invested again on the OL at 23 and a weapon at 34. Plenty of good CBs and LBs in the mid rounds that can still start for us (especially LB).

2 minutes ago, Bobby816 said:

For me it’s about getting high level starters that you can see on your team for years. OL fits that more so than CB. We just drafted Becton high and followed that by hopefully hitting on Mims. It would be incredible if JD for an encore drafts Wilson at 2 and knew protecting him and getting weapons for him is still the priority. And invested again on the OL at 23 and a weapon at 34. Plenty of good CBs and LBs in the mid rounds that can still start for us (especially LB).

I'm not against your thought process in any way, I agree with you. I just dont think we should force ourselves in a particular direction and end with a lesser talent in the process. Farley for example being there at 23 is very intriguing and I'd prefer him over reaching for an OL that we could possibly get at 34 or at least someone similarly talented. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, KingOfNewYork said:

I'm not against your thought process in any way, I agree with you. I just dont think we should force ourselves in a particular direction and end with a lesser talent in the process. Farley for example being there at 23 is very intriguing and I'd prefer him over reaching for an OL that we could possibly get at 34 or at least someone similarly talented. 

I think we’re on the same page. For example... I wouldn’t be pissed at all if we draft Farley at 23 Bc I think his skill set is worth it. I just think OL is the better investment. But I by all means am not dead set on that being the only way we should go. Also for example... I’d be totally happy with a RB at 23 (I know very few like that 1st round RB). But I think Harris and Etienne are worth it there. I think if we go OL, RB it CB I’m happy with the pick. Bc I think there’s several guys that aren’t an overdraft there and that we need. Nearly any other position... and I don’t think I’d love the pick. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Bobby816 said:

I think we’re on the same page. For example... I wouldn’t be pissed at all if we draft Farley at 23 Bc I think his skill set is worth it. I just think OL is the better investment. But I by all means am not dead set on that being the only way we should go. Also for example... I’d be totally happy with a RB at 23 (I know very few like that 1st round RB). But I think Harris and Etienne are worth it there. I think if we go OL, RB it CB I’m happy with the pick. Bc I think there’s several guys that aren’t an overdraft there and that we need. Nearly any other position... and I don’t think I’d love the pick. 

Yeah, I think at the end of the day we're in a great position to bring in an impact player at a position of need. There's not a lot of guys I'd hate at 23.

• Like 1

Who here believes Rousseau will fall out first round?  I certainly do. In fact, I can see him lasting until mid second round and I would not be shocked if he fell to third round.  Such an overhyped prospect with little to back it up. Couple that with his so-so pro day (from what I’ve heard) and he is going to go from top 10 pick to maybe 50. Ouch. 

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, xrade said:

Who here believes Rousseau will fall out first round?  I certainly do. In fact, I can see him lasting until mid second round and I would not be shocked if he fell to third round.  Such an overhyped prospect with little to back it up. Couple that with his so-so pro day (from what I’ve heard) and he is going to go from top 10 pick to maybe 50. Ouch. 

15.5 sacks in his last full year. Sat out 2020 because of covid as did many top prospects. Not sure how anyone can argue he doesn’t have evidence to back his claims as a first round pick.