2021 Draft Thread

Abe56

I really hope we attack the offense in the draft but if a premier player in a premier defensive position (edge/CB) is available at #23 then I’d rather draft the defensive player.

If Farley is there at #23 then we’d have the steal of the draft. I think this cb class is as good as it’s been in years so it’s very deep but Farley is the best one so if you can get a top 10 player at #23 and it’s a position of need and a high valued position then you don’t skip that over for a guard. 

23 minutes ago, Bobby816 said:

He's a very talented receiving TE who can block. Before the season started... he was looked at on the same level as Pitts. Now obviously Pitts seems superior... but Pat was done no favors this year at PSU with a lot of changes made there. From a talent perspective... he'd be a great addition for us. Can easily be that Kittle type for us (not saying he will for sure get to that level)... but he has the skill set to do that. And we know the system will utilize him.

I really like him at 34 if he's still there.

From what little I read on him, his blocking is less than stellar. But, if we are looking for that move TE, he may develop into one. TE is typically a difficult position to transition into the NFL. So my guess is that he will not be very helpful to a rookie QB this year. If that is true, why spend an early pick on a TE when we can get one later that may not be a big drop off talent wise?  Or better yet, why not wait a year and use the valuable pick on a position that will contribute more this year.

If you look at the top TE’s in the league, they were typically drafted in round 3 or later whereas earlier picked TE’s (minus Gronk) have never really been anything spectacular.

11 hours ago, rickyt31 said:

Same. I'm not sure if there is anyone else out there that would make me hesitate . 

I

12 hours ago, KingOfNewYork said:

Watched Chris Simms interview with Caleb Farley and I think this kid is going to drop to the late first because of his medicals. Just got the feeling from what he was saying regarding teams. I would run to the podium if he's there at 23. 

I understand he had surgery on his back, but I don't know details.  Are there long term effects?  Will he be able to start season, and if not what would be the delay?

16 minutes ago, xrade said:

From what little I read on him, his blocking is less than stellar. But, if we are looking for that move TE, he may develop into one. TE is typically a difficult position to transition into the NFL. So my guess is that he will not be very helpful to a rookie QB this year. If that is true, why spend an early pick on a TE when we can get one later that may not be a big drop off talent wise?  Or better yet, why not wait a year and use the valuable pick on a position that will contribute more this year.

If you look at the top TE’s in the league, they were typically drafted in round 3 or later whereas earlier picked TE’s (minus Gronk) have never really been anything spectacular.

I think we should be thinking of the system and what's best to help Wilson succeed. We know the system likes using the TE. And a TE is a great safety valve for a QB with typically their larger frame and able to block out defenders and win 50/50 balls.

I think adding a high drafted TE suits us well actually.

9 minutes ago, Bronx Born and Raised said:

I understand he had surgery on his back, but I don't know details.  Are there long term effects?  Will he be able to start season, and if not what would be the delay?

According to him and his doctors he's fine. He was essentially playing through pain the past year or so. Chris Simms hurt a similar area and was fine and thinks Farley but you know how NFL teams are with injuries but specifically 4 specific areas for non-QBs(back, neck, knee, achilles) and with QBs those 4 plus throwing shoulder. 

I just think with the depth of the CB position and his surgery/uncertainty he'll slide further than he would have if there wasn't a medical red flag. But ultimately I think he'll be okay. 

1 hour ago, KingOfNewYork said:

According to him and his doctors he's fine. He was essentially playing through pain the past year or so. Chris Simms hurt a similar area and was fine and thinks Farley but you know how NFL teams are with injuries but specifically 4 specific areas for non-QBs(back, neck, knee, achilles) and with QBs those 4 plus throwing shoulder. 

I just think with the depth of the CB position and his surgery/uncertainty he'll slide further than he would have if there wasn't a medical red flag. But ultimately I think he'll be okay. 

Would you take him at 23?

I mean JD knows how big this rebuild is and we as a fan base have to trust him to some extent, until we have a reason not to.

But it's clear he has a vision for this team and values picks.

I just cant see him using the 23rd pick on 2 types of guys. A guy that has injury concerns or a guy that sat out the season.

I think he knows how he has to hit on these early picks to change this franchise. And both those situations carry risk.

I expect a more safe pick than a guy like Farley or a guy that has sat out early for us in this draft. 

27 minutes ago, Bobby816 said:

I mean JD knows how big this rebuild is and we as a fan base have to trust him to some extent, until we have a reason not to.

But it's clear he has a vision for this team and values picks.

I just cant see him using the 23rd pick on 2 types of guys. A guy that has injury concerns or a guy that sat out the season.

I think he knows how he has to hit on these early picks to change this franchise. And both those situations carry risk.

I expect a more safe pick than a guy like Farley or a guy that has sat out early for us in this draft. 

I don't know, if Farley has good medicals and the Jets doctors give the okay he could be an absolute steal at 23. Guy has potential to be top 10 CB in the league sooner rather than later. 

Yeah, it all comes down to what our medical staff says about Farley. If the rumors are true, JD isn't worried about Wilson's shoulder after the staff did their work. The same could be done for Farley. If it all checks out, I can't see us picking anyone else. Maybe Vera-Tucker, but that's the only one. 

15 minutes ago, rickyt31 said:

Yeah, it all comes down to what our medical staff says about Farley. If the rumors are true, JD isn't worried about Wilson's shoulder after the staff did their work. The same could be done for Farley. If it all checks out, I can't see us picking anyone else. Maybe Vera-Tucker, but that's the only one. 

Sewell, Slater, AVT, Darrisaw and Jenkins will all go top 15/20 IMO but if one is there I'm sure they're at the top of our board. 

1 hour ago, Bobby816 said:

From a talent perspective... I agree.

From a risk perspective... I'm not sure. 

Depends on how high the risk is. Are we talking a possible chronic condition or something that is over and done with?  We don’t have the medicals. I think we can assume that if the Jets or any other team picks him in round 1, it is over and done with. If he falls out of round 1, then the question of how comfortable the GM is selecting him when they do. We have seen players drafted that had a chronic condition. Lattimore the RB a few years ago comes to mind. Did not work out for him and it was a risky pick but it was the 5th round and the talent warranted the chance.