Dalton - Red Rocket

brooks1957

I am sure that Andy Dalton will not lack for suitors. In fact, I will be stunned if he is still without a team come June 2nd.

If I were in Andy's shoes, I would be seeking teams that provide me with a legitimate chance to continue my NFL career as a starter. The Patriots come to mind. But if those opportunities are exhausted, and Andy gets his mind right to embrace the role of a backup - is it worth us reaching out?

I don't think this is likely to happen, but Dalton does have history with former Bengals and current Browns OC Alex Van Pelt. I know such a move would come at the expense of Garrett Gilbert's roster spot. The old adage in the NFL of "You can never have enough good QB's" is there for a reason. Who else could boast that they have 3 proven NFL QBs on their roster?

Let 'er rip, boys.

Edited by brooks1957

Zero chance he comes here when we already signed Keenum.

NE obviously makes sense, but I could see BB wanting to see what he has in Stidham. A team like the Bears would have made a ton of sense, but they decided to be dumb and trade for Foles.

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, DawgX said:

Zero chance he comes here when we already signed Keenum.

NE obviously makes sense, but I could see BB wanting to see what he has in Stidham. A team like the Bears would have made a ton of sense, but they decided to be dumb and trade for Foles.

I had heard that the Bears GM, Ryan Pace, had a family committment during the NFL draft last weekend, so he did his very best to trade away all of those pesky picks (incl. Khalil Mack) that were going to interfere with his weekend plans.

Unfortunately for him, (and all of us), Covid-19 happened, and he was sequestered away at home anyways.  ;) 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

I don’t think there’s a chance he comes here to compete for a backup job, nor do I think we’d even be interested due to cost.

The Pats are the easy answer imo.  He’s not great, but that’s still a talented roster and he’s experienced and able to help them win now.

I think he goes to the Pats but I don’t agree that it’s a talented roster. It’s a very well coached roster but it lacks talent

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, brooks1957 said:

But they have BOB calling the shots........

Yup. That's why when they bring in Dalton--soon to be dubbed, "The Houston Rocket"--BOB will announce (in response to nobody's question) that it will be an open QB competition.

He'll also sign Dalton to a confusing contract, managing to both ignore what just happened marketwise with Jameis, as well as insult Watson by giving Dalton low-level starter money with 50% of next year's salary being guaranteed as well, like 2/$34 mil, 27 gtd.

Then, before the QB competition even begins, BOB trades Will Fuller and a 2nd Rd pick for Giovanni Bernard and AJ Green. In a combination of the slow motion "fohhhr-ehhh-ver" from "The Sandlot" and self-satisfied Hue Jackson, BOB says to just trust him on this one.

Edited by NudeTayne
tl;dr The Houston Rocket
  • Like 2

11 hours ago, NudeTayne said:

Yup. That's why when they bring in Dalton--soon to be dubbed, "The Houston Rocket"--BOB will announce (in response to nobody's question) that it will be an open QB competition.

He'll also sign Dalton to a confusing contract, managing to both ignore what just happened marketwise with Jameis, as well as insult Watson by giving Dalton low-level starter money with 50% of next year's salary being guaranteed as well, like 2/$34 mil, 27 gtd.

Then, before the QB competition even begins, BOB trades Will Fuller and a 2nd Rd pick for Giovanni Bernard and AJ Green. In a combination of the slow motion "fohhhr-ehhh-ver" from "The Sandlot" and self-satisfied Hue Jackson, BOB says to just trust him on this one.

Got it. I completely understand...........

I think.....

• Like 1

1 hour ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

No you don’t, and you shouldn’t feel bad.

No one understands Nude’s posts.

Must be the prescription drugs I am currently taking...........

Or maybe I just wanna be like Nude.........

Holy crap, Batman, what am I saying?????

• Like 1

We have zero use for Dalton. We have a veteran backup in Case Keenum. We aren't paying Keenum that kind of money to be a 3rd string QB and Dalton isn't coming here to ride the pine. We would at least have to pay him big bucks as a 2nd stringer, but he isn't worth it.

Dalton to the Browns is never happening. I would have loved to get him over Keenum, but that ship has sailed. 

17 minutes ago, BleedTheClock said:

We have zero use for Dalton. We have a veteran backup in Case Keenum. We aren't paying Keenum that kind of money to be a 3rd string QB and Dalton isn't coming here to ride the pine. We would at least have to pay him big bucks as a 2nd stringer, but he isn't worth it.

Dalton to the Browns is never happening. I would have loved to get him over Keenum, but that ship has sailed. 

I think this thread is more familial love toward our carp brethren. I don't think any of us could see Dalton making sense here (for the reasons you just presented).

For me, I would like to see him in New England. Jax needs to see what the ceiling looks like for Uncle Rico and Chicago for Foles. Washington would've made sense if they don't believe in Haskins, but if that was the case then they should have taken Tua. Really it seems like it's gotta be New England or else it's being a backup. 

Edited by NudeTayne
tl;dr Houston red rocket try to keep up