2021 Draft Talk

swede700

18 minutes ago, Ozzy said:

Slide because he was a Boise St guy?  Only reason he went that high is because the OT depth was not that great outside of the elite guys and his workout was awesome and he put up great athletic numbers.  But before that workout he was more like a 3rd or 4th round pick type of guy.  The OT depth in this class is no question better, Spencer Brown and even Tommy Doyle are equal to or greater athletes than Cleveland was last year if you consider both are quite taller and longer, and Ben Cleveland was damn impressive athletically as well, same with Meinerz, granted the numbers could be a bit skewed because it was not at a combine and was pro day timing.  

Tristan Wirfs
Jedrick Wills
Andrew Thomas
Mekhi Becton
Austin Jackson
Isaiah Wilson
Josh Jones

Sure Isaiah Wilson did not turn out because he has some mental issues, and Josh Jones who knows but he arguably has more potential than Cleveland but will see if he can become a player.  Ezra was not a top 3 OT prospect in the 2020 draft, not even close to it.  Those top four or five are far and above what Ezra Cleveland is.

Granted maybe he is playing out of position at guard and it was only one season but there is a reason why the Vikings picked a LT instead of Vera-Tucker, because they probably know that Ezra Cleveland is not a better option at LT than Darrisaw was.

He is no way better than Darrisaw though, Darrisaw has better feet and is a far more powerful player.  Would have love to see him work out but lucky for the Vikings the fact he did not have pro day numbers probably made him slide a bit in the draft.

Still say if Ezra was in this class not sure he is a 2nd round pick.  Cosmi is another great athlete with huge upside that is around in the 2nd, Mayfield as well has tons of upside, Radunz is very solid, Carman is a talented due and Eichenberg is legit as is Little if he can stay healthy.  I just do not see him being that high of a pick if put with this group.  Hopefully he does great but it says a lot that the Vikings drafted a LT the year after they drafted Ezra Cleveland when Ezra was supposed to be the LT for the future.

I said his numbers were top-3.   

Go back and look at the 2020 combine results.    Ezra out-performed everyone but Wirfs ---- however, Becton was on, or is, another planet.   

So, the guys you listed were rated higher, yes, and that's because of the conferences in which they play.  

The part of my post I think is key is that Cleveland can be really, really good at guard in the NFL.   He can, and probably will, compete with Darrisaw and Hill for LT honors.   At some point though, stake your claim and perfect your craft . . . The Vikes O-Line needs that from 5 guys. 

19 minutes ago, ArcticNorseman said:

I said his numbers were top-3.   

Go back and look at the 2020 combine results.    Ezra out-performed everyone but Wirfs ---- however, Becton was on, or is, another planet.   

So, the guys you listed were rated higher, yes, and that's because of the conferences in which they play.  

The part of my post I think is key is that Cleveland can be really, really good at guard in the NFL.   He can, and probably will, compete with Darrisaw and Hill for LT honors.   At some point though, stake your claim and perfect your craft . . . The Vikes O-Line needs that from 5 guys. 

Yeah hopefully Ezra improves greatly this season, and sure on paper he should compete for the starting LT spot but the fact they drafted Darrisaw and not Vera-Tucker says a ton of what they think currently of Ezra Cleveland being the LT for the future.  

Ezra got over powered and just because he was better than Dru Samia was at OG does not say much, not even sure if he was better than Dozier was at OG, was early but then later in the year seemed to really struggle with power and got pushed around similar to Bradbury.  

Will be interesting, it is awesome to have a OL prospect that has power and is not just a great athlete.  Goes against what the Vikings have done the past few years in terms of OL prospects.  O'Neill, Bradbury, Cleveland, all outstanding athletes with elite numbers athletically, but all have kind of disappointed, O'Neill last year with his pass pro, Bradbury with his lack of being able to hold the point of attach and Ezra and where he is going to play on the OL.  Darrisaw is a step in the right direction though hopefully.  

Players I like for today for a possible 2nd round selection. If we can come away with 2 or 3 players on my list I have no doubt if healthy we will contend & anything can & will happen in the playoffs

OG - Wyatt Davis - Ohio St

WR - Terrence Marshall - LSU

CB - Asante Samuel Jr - FSU

DT - Christian Barmore - Alabama

OL - Samuel Cosmi - Texas

S - Trevon Moehrig - TCU

OL - Dillon Radunz - NDSU

EDGE - Joesph Ossai - Texas

11 minutes ago, Boda said:

Players I like for today for a possible 2nd round selection. If we can come away with 2 or 3 players on my list I have no doubt if healthy we will contend & anything can & will happen in the playoffs

OG - Wyatt Davis - Ohio St

WR - Terrence Marshall - LSU

CB - Asante Samuel Jr - FSU

DT - Christian Barmore - Alabama

OL - Samuel Cosmi - Texas

S - Trevon Moehrig - TCU

OL - Dillon Radunz - NDSU

EDGE - Joesph Ossai - Texas

I agree with all these players, but depends how aggressive we trade up, obviously. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, solidvikingfan said:

First trade of the day Broncos moving up to Falcons spot.

For a RB too  ... This kind of stuff makes me happy  lol  

Hopefully we can see a little run at the position