2021 Draft Talk

swede700

2 minutes ago, solidvikingfan said:

While not looking at complete scheme fit other tackles I think could be tried at guard are Dillon Radunz, Jalen Mayfield, and Jackson Carman.

Radunz would be someone i'd be very interested in moving up for today if we can jump into the top 40.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, SemperFeist said:

QB: Cousins
RB: Cook
FB: Ham
WR: Jefferson
WR: Thielen
TE: Smith Jr. 
LT: Darrisaw
LG: Cole/Dozier/Udoh
OC: Bradbury 
RG: Cleveland
RT: O’Neill

LE: Hunter
DT: Tomlinson
NT: Pierce
RE: Weatherly
LB: Kendricks
LB: Barr
CB: Peterson
CB: Dantzler
NB: Alexander
SS: Smith
FS: Woods

Looking at the roster, the guard spot opposite Cleveland is really the only spot that doesn’t have a set starter for 2021. 

Wellllllllllll, I'm gonna pick some nits and say our entire S/T battery could be upgraded (and honestly, if they selected a punter, kicker and long snapper in the 6th/7th rounds, I'd applaud them for being proactive) but yeah, LG and RE are the weakest spots on paper and could use upgrades. 

11 minutes ago, RpMc said:

The only problem I have with the Ngakoue trade is, in the end, they spoke to him not being a fit for what they wanted to do.... seems like something they should have been able to figure out from film like they do with draft prospects.

I've got no problem taking that kind of swing on a player though.

Personally I felt like the "not a schematic fit" comment regarding Ngakoue was truly more "He was a free lancing mercenary just seeking a payday." - He didnt last in Baltimore either and from what I gathered he was only worried about getting paid rather than actually trying to help teams win.

As others have mentioned given the crazy circumstances they were in last year, it was a risk that was worth taking and one they kinda had to try (or at least I understand the "logic" behind it).

Way too easy to sit here now and judge in hindsight.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Boda said:

I said this during the draft.  Just the look on his face when he was asked if he was happy about reuniting with Hurts.  DeVonta looked unhappy

Agreed, but DeVonta will make the best of it I am sure and if Hurts does play poorly like any other team they would move on from him in a second.  My guess is DeVonta will greatly help Hurts and might make him look good on a few occasions.  

In terms of guards I would be happy with any of these guys, probably in this order assuming Dickerson could transition to OG which I think he could easily.  

Landon Dickerson 
Wyatt Davis
Josh Myers 
Quinn Meinerz
Ben Cleveland

Crazy thing is Wyatt Davis could totally be there in the 3rd round which is pretty nuts, same with Josh Myers who could be a beast at guard.  

Kind of sucks because the OT group is deeper than the OG group with all these guys still out there and a few will drop to the 3rd round also.

Samuel Cosmi Texas RS JR
Spencer Brown Northern Iowa RS
Jalen Mayfield Michigan RS SOPH
Dillon Radunz NDSU RS
Jackson Carman Clemson JR
Liam Eichenberg Notre Dame RS
Walker Little Stanford
Dan Moore Jr Texas A&M
James Hudson Cincinnati RS JR
Brady Christensen BYU JR RS
Robert Hainsey Notre Dame
Stone Forsythe Florida RS
Alaric Jackson Iowa RS

Hainsey could be a OG potentially as could a few other guys like Carman or Radunz or Mayfield.  Still if some make it through not sure it makes sense to take another OT unless they think he can transition to OG.  Cosmi, Brown, Mayfield, Radunz, Eichenberg, Carman and mayhe Little should all be long gone in the 2nd but will see.

Would be so fun to have a character like Dickerson on the Vikings though.

16 minutes ago, NoDakViking said:

Favorites for Day 2: Davis, Meinerz, Basham, Cisco, Holland.

That's assuming guys like Moehrig and Jenkins and picked too high for us to really trade up

Yeah Teven Jenkins should go early, same with Moehrig but there could be a ton of safeties even there in round 3 but will see.  Jenkins could be a monster at guard, would love him there and would totally trade two 3rd rounders to move up high in the 2nd to get him.  But maybe that is too high, Vikings got 2 3rd rounders for the Jets to move up a few spots, so not sure how much it would be for the Vikings to move into a round.

Ezra Cleveland still could be a good player but he was the 58th pick in the 2nd round.  

Vikings picked him over Jonah Jackson and I would say Jonah played better last year as a guard for Detroit than Cleveland did for Minnesota.  

Either way that list I posted above, all of those guys I would take over Ezra Cleveland as a tackle, only one I maybe would not is possibly James Hudson and Brady Christensen but it is a close call.  And at guard I would take any of those dudes of Cleveland as well.  So at least the Vikings should be able to get an upgrade and hopefully Ezra continues to improve and most likely still will be a starter at the other guard spot.  

Shows the depth, if Ezra Cleveland was in this draft class no way he would be a 2nd round pick is my guess.

Ezra Cleveland slid last year due to being a Boise St guy.   His numbers were top-3 for OTs last year, and would've been up there this year.  

Now, do I think he's a better OT than Darrisaw?   The coaches get to decide that.   I can remember watching Adam Timmerman walk through Crothers Engineering Hall back in the day . . . He was a stud OT in college, but played OG in the NFL and got two rings with pro-bowl nod(s).   I'd love to believe Cleveland will follow than career path with tge Vikings.   

More pressing today, the Vikes need a house mover at LG.   Does that mean taking Trey Smith, Ben Cleland or Aaron Banks who each played LG as their natural position is the route?    Or do you take a Creed Humphrey or Quinnen Meinerz and have them assume the role?

Whoever they pick needs to stay planted when facing the Aaron Donald's of the world.  

10 minutes ago, ArcticNorseman said:

Ezra Cleveland slid last year due to being a Boise St guy.   His numbers were top-3 for OTs last year, and would've been up there this year.  

Now, do I think he's a better OT than Darrisaw?   The coaches get to decide that.   I can remember watching Adam Timmerman walk through Crothers Engineering Hall back in the day . . . He was a stud OT in college, but played OG in the NFL and got two rings with pro-bowl nod(s).   I'd love to believe Cleveland will follow than career path with tge Vikings.   

More pressing today, the Vikes need a house mover at LG.   Does that mean taking Trey Smith, Ben Cleland or Aaron Banks who each played LG as their natural position is the route?    Or do you take a Creed Humphrey or Quinnen Meinerz and have them assume the role?

Whoever they pick needs to stay planted when facing the Aaron Donald's of the world.  

Slide because he was a Boise St guy?  Only reason he went that high is because the OT depth was not that great outside of the elite guys and his workout was awesome and he put up great athletic numbers.  But before that workout he was more like a 3rd or 4th round pick type of guy.  The OT depth in this class is no question better, Spencer Brown and even Tommy Doyle are equal to or greater athletes than Cleveland was last year if you consider both are quite taller and longer, and Ben Cleveland was damn impressive athletically as well, same with Meinerz, granted the numbers could be a bit skewed because it was not at a combine and was pro day timing.  

Tristan Wirfs
Jedrick Wills
Andrew Thomas
Mekhi Becton
Austin Jackson
Isaiah Wilson
Josh Jones

Sure Isaiah Wilson did not turn out because he has some mental issues, and Josh Jones who knows but he arguably has more potential than Cleveland but will see if he can become a player.  Ezra was not a top 3 OT prospect in the 2020 draft, not even close to it.  Those top four or five are far and above what Ezra Cleveland is.

Granted maybe he is playing out of position at guard and it was only one season but there is a reason why the Vikings picked a LT instead of Vera-Tucker, because they probably know that Ezra Cleveland is not a better option at LT than Darrisaw was.

He is no way better than Darrisaw though, Darrisaw has better feet and is a far more powerful player.  Would have love to see him work out but lucky for the Vikings the fact he did not have pro day numbers probably made him slide a bit in the draft.

Still say if Ezra was in this class not sure he is a 2nd round pick.  Cosmi is another great athlete with huge upside that is around in the 2nd, Mayfield as well has tons of upside, Radunz is very solid, Carman is a talented due and Eichenberg is legit as is Little if he can stay healthy.  I just do not see him being that high of a pick if put with this group.  Hopefully he does great but it says a lot that the Vikings drafted a LT the year after they drafted Ezra Cleveland when Ezra was supposed to be the LT for the future.

If we don’t trade up with all our picks, I hope we  pick Ben Cleveland tonight in the 3rd. He is a big strong interior guy who , like Darrisaw , didn’t give up a sack last year. I believe he could handle DT’s 1 on 1 and really strengthen our line.