2021 Draft Talk

swede700

1 minute ago, viking said:

This Vikings regime has their franchise QB. We need to surround this team with talent now rather than picking a QBOTF.

When we clean house we can let the new GM & HC combo pick their guy, not take over what was left for them

Oh man. Kirk Cousins: Franchise QB.

What a world.

Obligatory disgruntled, pessimistic Viking fan draft day comment, appropriate for posting after any selection:

Fire Spielman!

Optional, substantiating comment:

He should have moved up to draft {insert name of favorite draft prospect here}, but he traded back and only picked up 2 third round picks for it!!!

When we think about it, some folks comments aren't perplexing at all.

• Like 1

I still want one of the Pitt DL. I think Patrick Jones fits what Zimmer/Patterson want out of a DE (ability to play the run then get after the QB).

Any chance we can get Jones in the 3rd?

As of now, our needs go:

1.Edge

2.Left Guard

3. SLB (to fill in for Barr in 2022)

4. Receiver

5. Corner/Safety

16 minutes ago, SteelKing728 said:

I still want one of the Pitt DL. I think Patrick Jones fits what Zimmer/Patterson want out of a DE (ability to play the run then get after the QB).

Any chance we can get Jones in the 3rd?

As of now, our needs go:

1.Edge

2.Left Guard

3. SLB (to fill in for Barr in 2022)

4. Receiver

5. Corner/Safety

1. Edge

2. CBOTF

3. - 21. BPA for depth, including a K in rd 4 or 5.

Edited by Purplexing
added OTF to CB
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, twslhs20 said:

If the rumors are true that they wanted Fields, but just hoped he would fall to them, they get what they get. He went to a division rival no less. I hope that was the last straw for Rick Spielman.

Ya if they really wanted Fields ... not moving up and paying just a bit higher than Chicago could be seen as a mistake. 

I hope that they decided against that move up but are focused on moving up for Kellen Mond in the 2nd (assuming they grade him there). Just don't sit on your hands

I could see the Vikings trading up into the 2nd round twice today. Once for OC Creed Humphries/OC Dickerson/OG Wyatt Davis and then again for an impact defender.

We don't need 10 rookies next year, ideally we shouldn't be drafting any players after the 4th round.

7 hours ago, Robb_K said:

I'll be very disappointed if The Vikings don't move back up into at least the middle of The 2nd, as a lot of the best difference-makers will be chosen there.  I still want them to get one of the best guards left, but also a high-quality edge rusher, neither of which will be left in The 3rd Round.

True hopefully they can trade two of those 3rd rounders to move up into the 2nd but if not that is not terrible.  Trask and Mond fell and there could be one of the maybe top of the 3rd round at 66 if the Saints and Washington do not take them.  Chicago obviously filled their QB need.

They could address TE in the 3rd, who knows maybe Tremble, Long, Jordan or even Freiermuth could be there.  Would be great to get Jalen Mayfield or Teven Jenkins, or Radunz but most likely they are all gone.  Dickerson, Humphrey, Josh Myers and Quinn Meinerz are all still out there which is great for the Vikings.  I thought GB would have taken Dickerson or Humphrey 1st round.  

Tons of DT still out there and I would rather go that than DE, but will see what happens.  

The safeties are all still out there, none taken in the 1st and they are big time safeties in Holland, Moehrig, Sterns, Cisco, Grant, LeCounte.  I would hope the Vikings take one of those guys possibly as well because they will not all make in through the 2nd round but will see.  

4 minutes ago, viking said:

I could see the Vikings trading up into the 2nd round twice today. Once for OC Creed Humphries/OC Dickerson/OG Wyatt Davis and then again for an impact defender.

We don't need 10 rookies next year, ideally we shouldn't be drafting any players after the 4th round.

I disagree this year. This year is the year where there are going to be guys who, 5 years from now, we look back and say "how did they fall to the 6th round?" The lack of face time, a combine, and top 30 days makes it far more likely that some of those guys that would have risen into the 2nd day fall to the later rounds.

7 minutes ago, wcblack34 said:

I disagree this year. This year is the year where there are going to be guys who, 5 years from now, we look back and say "how did they fall to the 6th round?" The lack of face time, a combine, and top 30 days makes it far more likely that some of those guys that would have risen into the 2nd day fall to the later rounds.

This year there's a much smaller pool of draftable players due to covid/opt outs ect. I think Rick said players are gonna go in the 6th/7th this year that would have gone undrafted.

I think due to our 2 huge draft classes in 19 & 20 allows us to go for more impact players this year as depth has already been addressed.

I wouldn't be mad if we didn't trade up though, I trust Rick 100% with the draft.

Biggest surprise in terms of 1st round picks I feel was Payton Turner.  Love his tape and hustle but few talked about how awful the teams where he did that against.  Did great at the Senior bowl I guess in practice which clearly was why he moved up so much and is a big time athlete for his massive size with that length.  So not a terrible pick, just their CB group is pretty bad opposite Latimore so I would have thought that would be the pick.  

They were disappointed in Davenport last year so a kick in the butt to him but did get Kpassagnon in free agency so another DE is a slight surprise for them.  Not terrible though.

Jeremiah Owusu-Koramoah falling out of the 1st is a surprise, dude has big time versatility and should be a steal in the 2nd.  Did not have as dominating of a year in 2020 but in 2019 had freaking 8.5 sacks, he has great range and versatility.  

PS I bet DeVonta Smith is not super exciting to be playing with Jalen Hurts again, good player but not near the talent at QB and might affect his play because he is honestly not a great passer but will see how he does.  He might make Hurts look good because he can get open and catch the football.

Edited by Ozzy

Kind of sucks the Lions got Sewell, he could be a monster for them as a RT or LT for them, then they move Vaitai inside to OG opposite Jonah Jackson and Fragnow in the middle.  Pretty damn solid OL for them.

And of course Chicago with Fields could be very hard to deal with and that defense.  That CB group with the Bears is not as good unless they can address it in the draft, they should miss Fuller a lot I think.  They got Trufant and Burns but not sure either one of those guys are all that great.

Then the Packers with Stokes, sure is a great athlete and can run but thought they would have got Dickerson or Humphrey at center which could have been hard to deal with.  Not sure if they want to move Jenkins to center and if so that would be a mistake considering how dominating he has been at guard.

Just now, vikesfan89 said:

Imagine passing on a qb with lock/Bridgwater and Darnold as the starters

Darnold could be awesome on the Panthers, so that is not a big surprise and the Broncos clearly are not totally giving up on Lock and if he does not turn out Teddy is more than ready to go in and do some things.  My guess is Darnold is much better with more talent around in at Carolina.  

Real thing would be is Zach Wilson going to play well with the Jets.  It would not be a surprise if the dude is a big time bust, hopefully not but what makes him so different than Darnold?   Sure is exciting for the fans but is a gamble and most likely Justin Fields turns out to be the better pro.