2021 Draft Talk

swede700

I am a big fan of how round 1 fell to us. Darrisaw was worth the 14th pick, and I think the overall feeling would have been positive if we had gotten him there, but to trade back and acquire more relevant capital while also getting our tackle is excellent.

With a slew of picks left, I hope the Vikings are active in trading up, especially into the 2nd round. The team absolutely has holes to fill, but both Speilman and Zimmer know that they are on the hot seat, and they need a strong rebound year to solidify their jobs. While using the shotgun approach of having a bunch of picks increases your chances of finding value, I think their motivation should be to have the biggest impact this year as possible. This would mean trading up and getting immediate impact players.

I would like to see us package two of our 3rds and a 4th to move up high in round 2 and grab Jenkins to play guard. I have liked him for a while, and always thought he projected better as a guard than a tackle, but the Vikes love athleticism and positional flexibility. It could finally add some true stability to our line for the foreseeable future. If the price is too high or we aren't looking to trade up as high, you still can get a Davis, Dickerson, or Humphreys if you want to fill out the O-line early. Also I think you have a lot of intriguing prospects at DE who fit the athletic upside mold, a DT in Barmore or Daviyon Nixon, or if we want to future proof the Safety spot for when Harrison is gone, we could go after Trevon Moehrig to satiate Zimmer's need for defensive backs.

6 minutes ago, Ozzy said:

Darnold could be awesome on the Panthers, so that is not a big surprise and the Broncos clearly are not totally giving up on Lock and if he does not turn out Teddy is more than ready to go in and do some things.  My guess is Darnold is much better with more talent around in at Carolina.  

Real thing would be is Zach Wilson going to play well with the Jets.  It would not be a surprise if the dude is a big time bust, hopefully not but what makes him so different than Darnold?   Sure is exciting for the fans but is a gamble and most likely Justin Fields turns out to be the better pro.

Have they picked up the 5th round option on Darnold? Its still risky with him as the only plan

And was Lock on the trading block a smokescreen?  Or did they think Lance would be there and liked him better? 

Curious what you guys think.  Does Rick have enough to move up and get two 2nd round picks???  I know I am being greedy, but if he were able to get a starting guard and a DE in the 2nd the Vikings could really be competitive in 2021...barring injury to key players.

2 minutes ago, Virginia Viking said:

Curious what you guys think.  Does Rick have enough to move up and get two 2nd round picks???  I know I am being greedy, but if he were able to get a starting guard and a DE in the 2nd the Vikings could really be competitive in 2021...barring injury to key players.

Could he? Yes. But you’d leave the draft with just 3 players and I can’t see him doing that.

I agree that the Vikings need a starting G, but I don’t believe they need a starting DE. 

3 minutes ago, SemperFeist said:

Could he? Yes. But you’d leave the draft with just 3 players and I can’t see him doing that.

I agree that the Vikings need a starting G, but I don’t believe they need a starting DE. 

Who do you anticipate playing on the edge opposite of Hunter?

I don't necessarily think we'd have to give up the rest up our draft to get into the 2nd round twice, but it depends on how high we're trying to get.  66+119 probably gets you into the 2nd round, as does 78+86+90. We'd still have 2 4ths, 2 5ths and 6th.

Edited by Worm Guts

6 minutes ago, Virginia Viking said:

Who do you anticipate playing on the edge opposite of Hunter?

I expect there to be a rotation. And I don’t like the idea of using 1st and 2nd round picks on rotational players.

The Vikings should continue to do what they’ve done since Spielman took over the scouting department. Find high trait players that you can use situationally as they develop. If one of them develops into another Hunter, Griffen, Robison, or Edwards and can be that player who plays 80%+ of snaps, great! But they don’t need that player. Draft a guy in the 3rd and/or 4th, and let them rotate with Weatherly and Wonnum.

• Like 1

I'd still see value in waiting out for our third round picks as even if they save linebacker and safety for day 3 as they have valued depth guys lower at those positions I could see us end the day getting a DE, a WR, an OG, and choosing our next QB to backup Cousins and hopefully take over in two years.

Sorry I don't have time to go through the 148 pages of this thread so this may already be known... but now that we're through the first round I'm curious for the draft gurus on this site... Who are the handful of guys remaining that you love for us or are the "spielman/zimmer-type" guys that we might move up in the 2nd for? I don't care so much about what pick or how much capital it would take, just who the guys are and why you think they're the right guys. Thanks!

5 minutes ago, eaganfootball4 said:

Sorry I don't have time to go through the 148 pages of this thread so this may already be known... but now that we're through the first round I'm curious for the draft gurus on this site... Who are the handful of guys remaining that you love for us or are the "spielman/zimmer-type" guys that we might move up in the 2nd for? I don't care so much about what pick or how much capital it would take, just who the guys are and why you think they're the right guys. Thanks!

Trade way up to the top of the 2nd for Carlos Basham / Teven Jenkens / Creed Humphry.

4 minutes ago, eaganfootball4 said:

If the Vikings still think OL should be targeted, I think Brady Christiansen and Kendrick Green fit ideally with the previous offensive linemen that they’ve drafted for the wide zone. However, after Zimmer’s comments following the Darrisaw pick, a guy like Wyatt Davis wouldn’t shock me. 

If they are looking at defensive ends I think Rashad Weaver and Carlos Basham fit the mold of what they’ve drafted at end in previous years. Odeyingbo is a guy I would normally say is a perfect option, but they tend to shy away from medical concerns. 

Zimmer during his interview last night happened to mention WR as a position they were looking at, so they could surprise us there. 

And watch out for Kellen Mond. It’s not a secret that the Vikings did a lot of predraft work on him. 

• Like 1

Assuming the Vikes pick up another OL in the 2nd/3rd round I love what the start of this draft has done to our OL room. 

In training camp getting a starting job on the IOL is going to be a bit cut throat.

Bradberry/Cole/Cleveland/Udoh/Hinton/Dozier/Rookie