2021 Draft Talk

swede700

Assuming no other trades this is what it would have ended up as I think?

1.8 Fields/Slater
3.78 Chazz Surratt (I would've gone Davis here instead then)
4.119 Kene Nwangwu
4.125 Camryn Bynum
4.134 Janarius Robinson
5.157 Ihmir Smith-Marsette
5.168 Zach Davidson
6.199 Jaylen Twyman

So either Darrisaw, Mond, and Davis 

OR

Fields/Slater

Think I'm pretty happy with how things turned out.

22 minutes ago, VikeManDan said:

Assuming no other trades this is what it would have ended up as I think?

1.8 Fields/Slater
3.78 Chazz Surratt (I would've gone Davis here instead then)
4.119 Kene Nwangwu
4.125 Camryn Bynum
4.134 Janarius Robinson
5.157 Ihmir Smith-Marsette
5.168 Zach Davidson
6.199 Jaylen Twyman

So either Darrisaw, Mond, and Davis 

OR

Fields/Slater

Think I'm pretty happy with how things turned out.

Our O-line would still be in shambles if we had traded up for Fields, and he likely wouldn't have seen the field for two years. Slater could very possibly be a step above Darrisaw, but Darrisaw + Wyatt Davis is, in all likelihood, a bigger improvement for the offensive line.

However, on draft day, there was no way we could have known we'd walk out with Darrisaw and Davis, so I probably wouldn't have hated that trade at the time. Slater would have been seen, by me, as a win-now kind of pick. Plus I've been advocating for a 1st round QB for a while. So if they had taken Fields, I think I would have taken it as a sign of looking to build around a youngster on a rookie deal and would have been happy.

• Like 2

Hearing those details of a trade offer should tell everybody that while the Vikings may have liked Justin Fields, they clearly weren’t enamored by him. And they were never going to attempt to outbid Chicago.

Time will tell, but damn I’d have liked to have gotten Justin Fields on this team. 

6 minutes ago, SemperFeist said:

Hearing those details of a trade offer should tell everybody that while the Vikings may have liked Justin Fields, they clearly weren’t enamored by him. And they were never going to attempt to outbid Chicago.

Time will tell, but damn I’d have liked to have gotten Justin Fields on this team. 

Right. If they thought he was a franchise QB for sure, they'd have done the deal, IMO.

10 hours ago, wcblack34 said:

Frankly, I'm pretty happy with how our draft turned out. I'm glad they declined the trade. 

If Fields turns into a franchise QB and Cousins continues to be what he is and what we know he is, I am sure we will be looking back at this trade attempt as a failure to land a franchise QB. I don’t like how passive they were here, seems they had Fields pegged as a franchise QB but only willing to part with the later third and a mid round pick. That’s a fireable offense in my opinion. Will see how Fields vs Cousins vs Mond plays out.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, vikingsrule said:

I don’t like how passive they were here, seems they had Fields pegged as a franchise QB but only willing to part with the later third and a mid round pick.

And their offer of only a later 3rd and a mid round pick tells me that they didn’t view Fields as a franchise QB. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, SemperFeist said:

And their offer of only a later 3rd and a mid round pick tells me that they didn’t view Fields as a franchise QB. 

That doesn’t make sense because they probably would have taken him at 14 if he fell. Why draft a QB at 14 if he’s not viewed as a franchise QB?

12 minutes ago, vikingsrule said:

That doesn’t make sense because they probably would have taken him at 14 if he fell. Why draft a QB at 14 if he’s not viewed as a franchise QB?

BPA. Maybe you and I have different definitions of what a franchise QB is, but to me there’s a difference between a starting QB and a franchise QB. Unless I’m convinced that a prospect is going to be a franchise altering level player, I’m not going to throw a lot of high value picks at trying to acquire him. That doesn’t mean I wouldn’t draft him if the cost was small, or simply the pick that I already had. 

The Vikings’ offer that we heard in the video sounds like a probing offer to see where the trade market was, rather than a legit offer to try and move up.

• Like 2

23 hours ago, SemperFeist said:

Agreed.  Just seems like a half-hearted attempt to try and grab a QB.

3 hours ago, vikingsrule said:

Or maybe that's the price they were willing to pay to move up for Slater. Maybe they didn't see Fields as a franchise QB at all and were looking to bolster their line, and when the Panthers wanted more, they figured they could do more with more picks than with one Slater. 

Most teams would give up a couple of mid-round picks for a Tackle. But every team would give up a future first round pick for a Franchise QB (assuming they don't already have one).

Edited by wcblack34
  • Like 3

3 hours ago, vikingsrule said:

Risk.....maybe they thought he MIGHT be one, but weren't confident he would be. So, they would take him at 14, but not deal that much to get him.......this isn't some kind of black and white thing....it is more dial than switch.

• Like 2

I personally don't view Justin Fields as a franchise QB.  He may be alright, but the history of Ohio State QBs doesn't exactly make me all that confident of that.  Even moreso now that it's Nagy that is his HC.  The only thing I can guarantee is that he'll likely be better than Haskins.