2021 Draft Talk

swede700

2 minutes ago, CWood21 said:

It's not really "free" when it cost the Vikings the inability to draft anyone between their original pick and when they took Darrisaw.  You can attempt to rationalize however you want, but it's certainly not a "free" pick by any means.

That's why I said ~~~"free"~~~

• Like 2

2 hours ago, NoDakViking said:

Does anyone think that double dipping at DE signals anything about Hunter?

With Weatherly returning, who is perhaps average at best, and Wonnum hopefully improving, 2 might be overkill.  Maybe it's nothing more than "Can't have too many good pass rushers."  Or maybe it's just Hunter insurance. 

No, I think it has more to do about the development of the rest of the DE's excluding DJ. Holmes has done nothing, Herc while played better at DE  is not showing enough for them to be comfortable he can be DE3. Wilekins is a late round player  coming off an injury and Brailford was a PS signing. None of these players have the Vikings confident that they will pan out. If Hunter or DJ goes down then Vikings are basically back to having 2020 Vikings pass rush again or worse. Both Jones/Robinson have the potential to be better then the rest of the DE's in year one. 

Edited by dc_vikingfan

8 hours ago, CWood21 said:

As an outsider, I'd give it a solid C+.  Trading down and still getting Darrisaw was HUGE.  I thought he was a top 14 pick, and it was a 50/50 chance he made it to the original Vikings pick.  Like the physical tools of Kellen Mond, but the history is stacked against him to be a Day 2 success.  Chazz Surratt is a solid LB.  Don't think he's anything special, but I think he's a passable starting LB.  Wyatt Davis is a plug 'n play OG, but I'm not sure he's offering much in the way of positional versatility.  I don't think he has the skillset to play OT, and I don't think he has any history of playing C.  Beyond that, I like Camryn Bynum as a S convert and ISM as a low-end #2, high-end #3 WR.

So what would you give the Packer draft? I'd assume an F+, based on this post. 

• Like 4

6 hours ago, CWood21 said:

B-/C+ are what I'd consider an average draft.  You didn't do anything amazing, and you didn't blow the draft.  I really have no major issues with the draft.  You're getting two starting OL, but I'd argue that Wyatt Davis' value is more an indictment on the current Vikings' OL.  

So you're actually saying we had an A+ draft?

Generally I think people grade on the quality of the picks made, but I think there also should be some consideration here on the quantity of picks. If the Vikings found 5 contributors in the draft, that is significant to how the team will perform this year.  A big thing in the last 2 drafts has been about building depth.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, NoDakViking said:

Does anyone think that double dipping at DE signals anything about Hunter?

With Weatherly returning, who is perhaps average at best, and Wonnum hopefully improving, 2 might be overkill.  Maybe it's nothing more than "Can't have too many good pass rushers."  Or maybe it's just Hunter insurance. 

I believe it is more of “can’t have too many good pass rushers”. Outside of Danielle Hunter, we don’t really have a pro bowl caliber pass rusher so it’s good to have a variety. I predict our 6 DEs being: Hunter, Wonnum, Weatherly, Mata’afa, Jones II, and Robinson. I really like Robinson and I think his length and bend are special. 

Edited by Purplepride323

41 minutes ago, Purplepride323 said:

I believe it is more of “can’t have too many good pass rushers”. Outside of Danielle Hunter, we don’t really have a pro bowl caliber pass rusher so it’s good to have a variety. I predict our 6 DEs being: Hunter, Wonnum, Weatherly, Mata’afa, Jones II, and Robinson. I really like Robinson and I think his length and bend are special. 

Holmes and Willekes should be in the mix too. 

I think it will be Hunter, Weatherly, Wonnum, Jones and Robinson. 

And five DTs - Pierce, Tomlinson, Watts, Twyman and Lynch.

Some talented players and fairly high picks will be released. 

I guess they could keep 11 DL and go with an additional DE.

12 minutes ago, vikingsrule said:

Holmes and Willekes should be in the mix too. 

I think it will be Hunter, Weatherly, Wonnum, Jones and Robinson. 

And five DTs - Pierce, Tomlinson, Watts, Twyman and Lynch.

Some talented players and fairly high picks will be released. 

I guess they could keep 11 DL and go with an additional DE.

I would keep it the same just replace Lynch with Mata’afa. I really like what he brings as a pass rusher. He had 2.5 sacks last year and I think he gets more this year. He’s better on the outside but he can play some 3Tech as well. Don’t sleep on Mata’afa. 

7 hours ago, Purplepride323 said:

I would keep it the same just replace Lynch with Mata’afa. I really like what he brings as a pass rusher. He had 2.5 sacks last year and I think he gets more this year. He’s better on the outside but he can play some 3Tech as well. Don’t sleep on Mata’afa. 

I'd love if Herc could come in and get some 3T 3rd and long snaps but I think Twyman may come in with a chip on his shoulder after dropping so far.

I think Holmes and Willekes will be on the outs pretty quick. 

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, NoDakViking said:

I'd love if Herc could come in and get some 3T 3rd and long snaps but I think Twyman may come in with a chip on his shoulder after dropping so far.

I think Holmes and Willekes will be on the outs pretty quick. 

Mata'afa lost his job last year over not being able to rush from DT so him getting a roster spot this year will be strictly on his DE abilities and he likely gets cut in a numbers game of a veteran Weatherly and our third and fourth rounders who typically make the roster.

• Like 1

On 1/3/2021 at 5:07 PM, VikeManDan said:

Go 49ers! Picking 13 or 14 pending that game.

My first prediction of draft season is Christian Darrisaw, OT, Va. Tech. 

I had shifted to the AVT bandwagon but very happy with how things turned out.

Had 49ers won week 17 against Seattle they would've been 7-9 as well. Crazy how things work out.

On 5/2/2021 at 8:04 PM, wcblack34 said:

So what would you give the Packer draft? I'd assume an F+, based on this post. 

I'm probably gonna give them a C+ for the draft as well.  I honestly don't think their drafts are too dissimilar.  Both got good value on their FPRs for players of needs, moreso Darrisaw then Stokes.  They both got plug 'n play IOL on Day 2.  And they both guys who might not be full-time starters but figure to be at the very least high rotational players.  And on Day 3 both took some interesting players (Newman and Slaton for GB, Bynum and ISM for Minnestoa).  Detroit had the best draft in the NFCN followed by Chicago.  But Chicago also has the most inherent risk in this year's draft.