2021 Draft Talk

swede700

8 minutes ago, CWood21 said:

I'm probably gonna give them a C+ for the draft as well.  I honestly don't think their drafts are too dissimilar.  Both got good value on their FPRs for players of needs, moreso Darrisaw then Stokes.  They both got plug 'n play IOL on Day 2.  And they both guys who might not be full-time starters but figure to be at the very least high rotational players.  And on Day 3 both took some interesting players (Newman and Slaton for GB, Bynum and ISM for Minnestoa).  Detroit had the best draft in the NFCN followed by Chicago.  But Chicago also has the most inherent risk in this year's draft.

The most inherent risk...and the most likely scenario to follow in the footsteps of the last Ohio St QB to get drafted in the first round...get drafted by one GM and coach, who promptly get fired after the first year and then have to go into a situation with a new regime that didn't draft him (because I really don't think the Bears are going to be all that good, despite the upgrade at QB even with Dalton...I just have zero faith in Nagy being a competent HC).  Of course, Fields is a far better prospect than Haskins, so he might actually be able to survive that and thrive.  

Good morning, 

Vikings basically got 2 1st* round plug n play OL in positions of need. It's a good day to be a Vikings fan.

*I am counting Davis because 2019 tape was a definite 1st round guard material and his slip of play in 2020 was due to an injury that can be fixed and come back from 100% healthy. 

• Like 1

22 hours ago, SteelKing728 said:

I don't think drafting Kellen Mond stops us from taking a QB on day 1 if warranted.

Minnesota has a playoff caliber roster. Anything short of that and we have to take a QB I think, even though I'm not a fan of the upcoming class.

The problem is they would miss on the top prospects again if they just miss the playoffs without a big trade up

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

If Mond doesnt show much this year in TC/preseason, id love for MIN to draft Sam Howell next year. A true young franchise QB on this team would be so nice.

Although im really hoping Mond can be that guy. Odds are really low though. 

9 hours ago, Eric dunn said:

If Mond doesnt show much this year in TC/preseason, id love for MIN to draft Sam Howell next year. A true young franchise QB on this team would be so nice.

The Vikings would likely have to go 4-13 or something like that to get Howell next year, because he'll probably go top 5.  That's not gonna happen.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, swede700 said:

The Vikings would likely have to go 4-13 or something like that to get Howell next year, because he'll probably go top 5.  That's not gonna happen.

If the Vikings can trade cousins next year, and use the savings from his contract to re-sign some of these players on 1 year deals,  they’ve built a roster that they could afford to pay for a trade up.

If they didn’t like Fields enough to trade up a handful of spots to get him, I’m not sure there’s a QB in next year’s class that you’d make that trade for. But, so much changes from May to March.

Edited by SemperFeist

18 minutes ago, wcblack34 said:

There's some guy who is currently projected as a 4th or 5th round pick who will end up going Top 15 next year. This is the new trend. 

I know it can get confusing, but let's bring that discussion here:

But, you're right nonetheless...just as someone projected in the 1st round will go in the 3rd rd or later (as happened with Wyatt Davis and Jalen Twyman).

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Eric dunn said:

Unless Minnesota bottoms out this year (which I'd say isn't likely), I don't think they're going to be in a position to select Howell.  I think he ends up as QB2 after Spencer Rattler.  There's a slew of guys who could be first round picks next year including JT Daniels (Georgia), Kedon Slovis (USC), Tyler Shough (Texas Tech), Carson Strong (Nevada), Desmond Ridder (Cincinnati), Matt Corral (Ole Miss), Malik Willis (Liberty), Phil Jurkovec (Boston College), and Jayden Daniels (Arizona State).  Obviously, not everyone is going to have a strong season, so they'll weed themselves out.

9 hours ago, CWood21 said:

Unless Minnesota bottoms out this year (which I'd say isn't likely), I don't think they're going to be in a position to select Howell.  I think he ends up as QB2 after Spencer Rattler.  There's a slew of guys who could be first round picks next year including JT Daniels (Georgia), Kedon Slovis (USC), Tyler Shough (Texas Tech), Carson Strong (Nevada), Desmond Ridder (Cincinnati), Matt Corral (Ole Miss), Malik Willis (Liberty), Phil Jurkovec (Boston College), and Jayden Daniels (Arizona State).  Obviously, not everyone is going to have a strong season, so they'll weed themselves out.

If MIN has a Kirk-ish 9-8 season AND Mond doesnt show much i could see MIN being very aggressive in trading up for a QB. Much like SF did. Because in that case, we may see a new HC? Who will surely want his guy, using either Kirk or Mond as a bridge. 

IMO there isnt a TON of holes on this roster, so a move like that could be feasible. Especially if they are able to free up the money from Kirks deal to fill out the roster. OL, WR, TE, RB all look to be set on offense for at least a couple years.

On 5/20/2021 at 12:14 AM, Eric dunn said:

I wanted Desmond Ridder to come out this year. I like him a lot more than Kellen Mond.

1 hour ago, SteelKing728 said:

I wanted Desmond Ridder to come out this year. I like him a lot more than Kellen Mond.

Maybe I'm just being weird, but why does his name sound like it comes from a video game?