The Everything Else Thread v. 8.0

titans0021

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

So I have been always loosely invested in college football since I was younger, but these last few years I have found myself more invested than ever due to watching college prospects and knowing that they are expanding the playoff format, which held back a lot of my interest. 

Being a college dropout and not really having any teams of significance to my home I kinda dont follow any specific teams. For anyone who didn’t go to college but loves a team, how did you guys start to back a specific team? 

1 hour ago, twotonebluenation said:

So I have been always loosely invested in college football since I was younger, but these last few years I have found myself more invested than ever due to watching college prospects and knowing that they are expanding the playoff format, which held back a lot of my interest. 

Being a college dropout and not really having any teams of significance to my home I kinda dont follow any specific teams. For anyone who didn’t go to college but loves a team, how did you guys start to back a specific team? 

I think I talked about this earlier, but I'm opposite. I've grown further from college football. I was only watching to keep an eye on talent that could be in the NFL. 
But with Youtube and every prospect having a highlight tape, I don't have to watch a game to see what a guy looks like. 

Being that I don't have a hardcore team, I've just say whatever to college ball. 
I do like the playoffs, because I was getting tired of the same 7-8 teams being the only teams that could win a championship. 

I used to love college basketball, but the one and done rule ruined it. The stars were leaving. I had no investment in players. With them being known so young now, I guess I have followed a little more carefully. But for most part I loved watching a player grow to a pro guy.  Kind of like finding a band or group before they got popular. 

I follow Tennessee State because I went there. I root for North Carolina because I loved the colors and Julius Peppers. I was a big Miami fan back in the day when they were great.

Never cared for UT(Tennessee). I liked Vandy better because a couple guys I grew up with went and played ball there. 

• Like 1

18 hours ago, twotonebluenation said:

I was born in 94, and got in to football around 2000. Saying that because back then, while there was a ton of college ball on TV, it's not nearly as accessible as it is these days. So growing up in middle Tennessee, I obviously became a Titans fan and alongside that, a Vols fan. I picked both because both were Tennessee, as simple as that is. But what more than likely factored in to that is the Vols, one of the top 10-15 or so programs in the country at the time, were on TV far more than say Vanderbilt, Memphis or especially MTSU. There was no SEC Network, there was no streaming services, etc to catch these other teams with frequency. You got to watch the game local to your area(and the primetime and CBS game were nationally televised so that too, but Vandy, Memphis and MTSU were practically never in those slots, only Vandy of those 3 occasionally appeared on CBS), and when you combine that with ESPN, ABC, CBS, etc always picking the Vols far, FAR more often than Vanderbilt, picking up the Vols as the favorite was probably the only route I was ever gonna be able to take lol.

If you have no connection to any university, just go over traditions of a lot of schools and see if they interest you. You're definitely gonna want to stick with a Power 4 school I think with the changing landscape of college football, who knows whats gonna happen with the G5 teams.

If you want a truly elite team that you can count on year in, year out, the Georgias, Alabamas(though I'd rank them a good deal below Georgia just because Saban is up there in age at 72 and Kirby is only 48), Michigans(if Harbaugh stays) and Ohio States of the world are there for you.

If you want a consistently good team but are trying to avoid the whole "bandwagoner" label(I don't think you should care, but I know some do), teams like Oregon, LSU, Notre Dame, Penn State and Clemson(They arguably deserve a spot in the elites, but Dabo is being super stubborn about getting with the times regarding NIL and the transfer portal, so not sure if they are gonna remain there) are there.

If you want to jump on a blue blood that might be returning to prominence, there's of course Texas, then teams like Tennessee and Florida State, 3 programs that were dominant in the 90s and 00s but fell on hard times, now seemingly returning to reclaim their glory.

If you want to avoid pretty much any huge name school but still want some solid football to watch, programs like Iowa, NC State, Oklahoma State, Kansas State and Missouri can all offer versions of that.

If you want to try and jump on a rebuilding program(the rebuild varies from getting back to national title contention to getting back to solid football contention), teams like Miami(Florida, not Ohio lol), Georgia Tech, Nebraska, Kansas and Colorado(if you're in to the Deion stuff lol) all offer interesting choices.

Want a good G5 team to follow, not go as main stream, teams like Memphis(though they've come close multiple times to joining the Big 12 and are actively trying to make it to the P4, just as a note), SMU, Liberty, Jacksonville State, Miami(ohio this time lol), Boise State and Air Force all offer some good football to watch.

There are other factors that might come in to play for you too. If you love basketball, maybe you wanna look at teams like Duke(they just lost their football head coach, but maybe Manny Diaz keeps them on the same trajectory Elko had them on), North Carolina(Mack Brown is generally gonna put a decent football team on the field, but he's also pretty old, and who knows who will replace him when the time comes, but UNC usually finds a decent enough coach), Kansas(popped up earlier in the pure football consideration, basketball is obviously their flagship) and Kentucky(Stoops has them steady in football, weirdly coach Cal in basketball has had some iffy years of late) are some obvious options.

But yeah given players shuffle around so much in college, it's a good idea to factor things like game day traditions, history(if you care), etc in to your choice more than just purely how good they are right now.

For viewability, a P4 school is gonna be much easier for you to watch on TV and streaming services, but you can still catch most G5 games too, though most will be via streaming.

• Like 2

• 2 months later...

Wasn't sure where to put this, or if this is against the forum rules, but our new ST coach Colt Anderson has an athletic gear clothing line called UPTOP. I won't put in a link since I imagine that is a no-no...anyway he is from Montana and my sister lives there so his clothing line is pretty popular there. Pretty nice quality golf shirts which is what I have, but the rest looks good too. 

Gonna wait and see how he works out here before go crazy buying his stuff, lol!!