Warrants issued for DeAndre Baker and Quinton Dunbar

CBears019

3 minutes ago, Forge said:

No. The 49ers drafted Aldon Smith. That same regime also draft Navorro Bowman who was a great ambassador and community leader along with being a great on the field leader,  but had major character red flags coming out of college. BB drafted Aaron Hernandez. Character risks are always an issue, but how the hell does anyone know whether someone's iffy character is past the "this guy will one day kill someone or commit armed robbery" line? 

This is such an extreme situation. 

Yes, every team has some just like every team drafts players that can't play. I guess I just disagree that GMs are off the hook for character issues  that derail a career. That's part of their job. This is a miss.

I was hoping the robbery was something entourage related; that thing where you sign a big deal, and buy your friends Rolexes

but then 3 weeks later... you're 'asking' for them back because of XYZ

that link has me thinking it's so much worse

it's a shame so many in football work & train for years to get out of a bad situation, and it all goes away for this.

17 hours ago, wackywabbit said:

Yes, every team has some just like every team drafts players that can't play. I guess I just disagree that GMs are off the hook for character issues  that derail a career. That's part of their job. This is a miss.

I'd say that knife cuts both ways. Just like the Browns F.O. looks bad for taking Callaway in the 4th (I still maintain it wasn't a bad pick given the potential tradeoff of talent in the round acquired), Dorsey and the Chiefs looked great for getting "a steal" in Tyreek Hill late.

Granted, when character issues/off the field stuff happen(s) in a first round pick...that's bad. See: Justin Blackmon.

On 9/8/2020 at 2:09 PM, wackywabbit said:

I would say that it's important to separate character issues that are identifiable at draft/signing and those that are completely net new.