Who Is Worth 40M a Year Today?

JaguarCrazy2832

31 minutes ago, DerbyRam said:

In 5 years time, there will be a handful on that amount with more knocking on the door.

...In FIVE YEARS?

Dude in five years my disembodied head will be in a jar controlling a cyborg body, battling across a post-apocalyptic wasteland with my witty talking pet mutant octo-puppy at my side, as a martian motorcycle gang tracks me down as revenge for assassinating their malevolent warlord leader.

Five years. Let's cross that bridge when we get to it.

3 hours ago, kingseanjohn said:

I'm not arguing that Mahomes played a great Super Bowl. He didn't really play up to his par until the 4th quarter. Rather, I'm arguing that the narrative is that the 49ers lost.

And if you're going to tell me that Mahomes wasn't fantastic in the playoffs, then I don't know what games you were watching.

The person we were responding to so said that Mahomes playoff play flipped the narrative in the playoffs. That is simply not true. The Ravens getting upset did that. Mahomes had a good playoffs. It was far from one of the best in recent memory 

2 hours ago, Chiefer said:

He played well enough to win the game🤷‍♂️

So did Trent Dilfer. So did Manning in 15. 

These aren’t mutually exclusive thoughts. Mahomes is a great player. He also didn’t set the world on fire in the playoffs like some people are describing it. If you paid Mahomes 40 million and had to take that away from players on the offense and defense to make up for it, are you confidant the defense slows down Jimmy G like they did and that offense makes the comeback on top of that to win that Super Bowl. 

Based off the way that game went, I seriously question the rationale that removing 40 million from the rest of the team to pay Mahomes doesn’t severely inhibits their ability to hold off the Niner’s and make the comeback. 

Based off the cap hits last year, the easiest way to offset Mahomes at 40 million is to (and this assumes no dead cap penalties) cur Frank Clark and either Hill, Watkins, Mathieu or Jones. You could also at the mid range cut Fisher, Hitchens and either Kelce or Scwartz. BUT those are   basically the players you are dealing with to avoid making 8 or more cuts based on that roster which would be devastating in my opinion. 

18 minutes ago, lancerman said:

The person we were responding to so said that Mahomes playoff play flipped the narrative in the playoffs. That is simply not true. The Ravens getting upset did that. Mahomes had a good playoffs. It was far from one of the best in recent memory 

Please tell me who was better

• Like 1

You can't really envision just retroactively cutting $40M worth of players because it completely would've altered the approach to roster building over the past several years. Changes draft priorities, other free agent moves, etc. You don't get Clark, maybe you draft a DE. If you're planning to pay for Mahomes maybe you never sign Watkins, and keep a guy like Wilson or Conley instead. You can't just look at the roster and strip off $40M and act like that's what the roster would've been. Like, it's clear from our cap situation we've planned to start paying Mahomes next year. We had not been doing that before. Changes how and when you structure deals, who you sign when, who you let walk, etc.

And Mahomes postseason run was absolutely fantastic leading up to the superbowl. Even with the eh superbowl, he tied 89 Montana, 08 Warner, 12 Flacco, and 14 Brady for the most TDs by a single player in a single postseason run. He, Montana, and Brady were the only three to do it in just 3 games. He had 700 yards, 9 TDs, and like a 127 passer rating in those first two games. Only thing that stopped him against Houston were third down drops. He absolutely had a rough stretch in the superbowl, but it's very revisionist to say his playoff run prior to that was not fantastic.

• Like 3

25 minutes ago, Jakuvious said:

You can't really envision just retroactively cutting $40M worth of players because it completely would've altered the approach to roster building over the past several years. Changes draft priorities, other free agent moves, etc. You don't get Clark, maybe you draft a DE. If you're planning to pay for Mahomes maybe you never sign Watkins, and keep a guy like Wilson or Conley instead. You can't just look at the roster and strip off $40M and act like that's what the roster would've been. Like, it's clear from our cap situation we've planned to start paying Mahomes next year. We had not been doing that before. Changes how and when you structure deals, who you sign when, who you let walk, etc.

And Mahomes postseason run was absolutely fantastic leading up to the superbowl. Even with the eh superbowl, he tied 89 Montana, 08 Warner, 12 Flacco, and 14 Brady for the most TDs by a single player in a single postseason run. He, Montana, and Brady were the only three to do it in just 3 games. He had 700 yards, 9 TDs, and like a 127 passer rating in those first two games. Only thing that stopped him against Houston were third down drops. He absolutely had a rough stretch in the superbowl, but it's very revisionist to say his playoff run prior to that was not fantastic.

You are upping 40 million in one year. So yeah you are effectively stripping 40 million from your current cap situation to add his salary if you do it. 

30 minutes ago, kingseanjohn said:

Please tell me who was better

Eli 2011(better percentage, more yards per game, better TD:INT ratio) , Flacco 2012 (better passer rating, much better TD:INT ratio with 11 TD’s and 0INT’s, better average only lagged in percentage), Foles 2017 (better yards per game, much better yards per average, much better percentage, better passer rating) 

Eli player a 15-1 Packers squad, one of the peak 49’ers teams of Harbaughs era and the Patriots. Flacco players the 2012 Broncos, the Patriots, and probably the best 49’ers team this decade.. Those two unlike Mahomes did it on the road. 

Foles did it at home but he played arguably the best defense in the league in the Vikings and stomped the **** out of them and then played a very dominant Patriots teams matching scores with the league MVP. 

Meanwhile Mahomes played a habitual choking Texans team, a Titans team was capable of solid flashes but really wasn’t ever a serious contender, and a 49’ers team that was probably worse then the Niner’s team Eli and Flacco played. 

8 minutes ago, lancerman said:

You are upping 40 million in one year. So yeah you are effectively stripping 40 million from your current cap situation to add his salary if you do it. 

You clearly didn't read or understand what I said. There's a difference to plan to have $40M less, and to just act as though they suddenly did. Next year, we have $40M to give Mahomes. We've planned for that. It keeps us from adding other pieces, changes how we structure deals, etc., but we have that money because we prepared to. Last year, we didn't even have $40M at the outset of the offseason. But we didn't need it. So we had been building the roster for at least a year or two knowing that we wouldn't have to pay him more than his rookie deal.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, lancerman said:

So which is it, "good playoffs" or "mediocre"? 

Vs Houston: 

23/35 321 9.2 5 0 0-0 91.5 134.6 

Leading rusher for is that game too (7-53)

Vs Tenn:

23/35 294 8.4 3 0 2-2 97.5 120.4

Leading rusher for that game as well (8-53-1td) with one of the nicest td runs in KC history to change the full momentum of that game.

And he didn't exactly stink it up in the SB, he had a game well below his standards but he was also going up against a great defense. And we probably don't win that game if he didn't suggest running Wasp. He was clutch when it really mattered.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Ryan_W said:

and if Mahomes wants in that category, play great next year and the years after that.

Welp, you heard the man: Play great every year for the rest of your career -- no -- life, and then you'll be worth that big contract.