Browns General Discussion

candyman93

Question for the audience, do you approve of how the team was built?

Yes, the defense is bad, but I’m glad we have a fantastic offense. We had a lot of holes as a team and I’m glad Berry committed to fixing the offense first. Baker is priority #1 and you need to score to win in this league. Mahommes is like 31-1 against teams that don’t score more than 28 points.

I’d cut / let walk every over priced vet on defense and just build that unit from the ground up.

Edited by candyman93

12 minutes ago, candyman93 said:

Yes, the defense is bad, but I’m glad we have a fantastic offense. We had a lot of holes as a team and I’m glad Berry committed to fixing the offense first. Baker is priority #1 and you need to score to win in this league. Mahommes is like 31-1 against teams that don’t score more than 28 points.

I’d cut / let walk every over priced vet on defense and just build that unit from the ground up.

We're 9-4. Anybody who says no to this is an idiot. "iTs NoT ClEvElAnD bRoWnS fOoTbAlL" is only useful when Stefanski's calling passing plays on 1st and 10 in a blizzard. Other than that, it's an antiquated feeling by old dudes who feel nostalgic for a time when they had hair and their favorite team wasn't the worst in professional sports. We're not that anymore so we can chill on the whole caring how the team wins thing. 

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, candyman93 said:

The funny thing is, a few years ago, my dad, brother, and I were all saying in unison "I wish they'd just make an effort to fix one side of the ball, fix it, be competitive somehow, and then address the other side." They've done exactly that.

More than anything, I LOVE the way our offense is constructed as a whole. A huge/fantastic OL with 2 unbelievable RB's and a smash mouth football persona. If you're going to build a team like that in Cleveland, that's the way to go. I am super high on DPJ, Higgins has been a solid #2/#3, and Landry has been good in the slot and as an X factor. I'd still like a burner or another capable big bodied guy on the outside, but our 2 TE system is absolutely the way to go with the playaction game, running game, and creates personnel mismatches for days forcing other teams to keep more LB on the field to account for the run.

IMO, I'd love to keep Richardson (I know that he's pricey), even though he's a bit streaky (he has 6 sacks and 48 tackles), and I'll be intrigued to see what Vernon fetches on the market. He's had 7 sacks this year and has a 72.8 PFF grade. He's 30, so he probably wants "one more contract", but if we could talk him into a reasonable figure, I'd keep him/re-sign him.

I'd let Larry O walk, as his price tag will be higher than his production and he's too inconsistent.

Trading Njoku and OBJ saves us over $20 million (and a lot more in the long run for OBJ).

Tretter and Bitonio have to stay, but they're making almost $10 million apiece. 

Hooper is an interesting one, as he's making way too much for the production that he's put forth, but he's also a great blocker and capable TE.

What's remarkable to me is that there are very few guys (outside of Richardson and Myles) on our defense making any real money/big money.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

I don’t think anyone is building them up, just saying they’re not completely awful and we can’t just “roll our helmets onto the field” and expect a win.

If we come out and play well, I expect us to win.  If we come out and play sloppy or look past them or whatever, we could have our hands full.

I think if we would have beaten the ravens, They maybe look past them a little bit. Now tho, with the playoffs on the line because the giants and Jets are must win games. I don’t think their is a chance they act like if they show up they will win. I think they learned that mentality last year, that it doesn’t work. 

I could see this being similar to the Titans game, that they will want to come out and want to make a statement. Prolly won’t have the success like vs the Titans but just the approach they will take 

I could be completely wrong, but I’ve felt this way for a year. The best way to compete in this league is to have a dominant offense. The top 15 scoring offenses are all in playoff contention. That’s not the same case for the top 15 defenses. Obviously, you can’t have a terrible defense, but I think you just need an average defense.

https://www.espn.com/nfl/stats/team/_/table/passing/sort/totalPointsPerGame/dir/desc

https://www.espn.com/nfl/stats/team/_/view/defense/table/passing/sort/totalPointsPerGame/dir/asc

6 minutes ago, candyman93 said:

I could be completely wrong, but I’ve felt this way for a year. The best way to compete in this league is to have a dominant offense. The top 15 scoring offenses are all in playoff contention. That’s not the same case for the top 15 defenses. Obviously, you can’t have a terrible defense, but I think you just need an average defense.

https://www.espn.com/nfl/stats/team/_/table/passing/sort/totalPointsPerGame/dir/desc

https://www.espn.com/nfl/stats/team/_/view/defense/table/passing/sort/totalPointsPerGame/dir/asc

A top offense + an elite edge rush + a great secondary = Super Bowl Contender

If you can get up on someone by 2+ possessions in this league, you force the opponent to become one dimensional, and then you have the dogs to rush the passer and back end in the secondary to force turnovers and get stops.

We are STARTING to have the offense.

We are close to having the EDGE rush (not the depth).

We are not even close in the secondary, even if Ward, Greedy, and Delpit come back. We need a lot more depth at the CB and S spots. 

• Like 1

Looking at the salary cap:

https://overthecap.com/salary-cap/cleveland-browns/

1. Trade OBJ, frees up close to 16 million.

2. Release Sheldon Richardson, frees up 12 million.

3. Njoku wants out, so trade him. That frees up 6 million.

Those 3 moves alone would put us at 60 million in cap space.

Comes down to how much the cap shrinks cause of Covid. Also who is going to take on OBJs contract? We will either have to take on someone who has a decent contract or we are not going to get a good pick back, where trading him might not be worth it

47 minutes ago, buno67 said:

Comes down to how much the cap shrinks cause of Covid. Also who is going to take on OBJs contract? We will either have to take on someone who has a decent contract or we are not going to get a good pick back, where trading him might not be worth it

If I had to put money on it, I think Berry sticks to his word and keeps OBJ for 1 more year.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, buno67 said:

Excellent question how about 

Donovan peoples Jones 

obj

plus a 1st for mack