Browns General Discussion

candyman93

15 hours ago, Kiwibrown said:

All for trading for jimmy g. 

How good is Jimmy G? I gotta say I dont watch many 49ers games but from box score watching and the few that Ive seen from them, would it be crazy to say that Jimmy G is just Jared Goff who many people think is absolute garbage?

• Like 1

5 hours ago, brownie man said:

FLEXIBILITY 

They didn't and still don't know what is going to happen with this suspension. The absolute smartest thing to do was to push everything far down the road as possible because we are not in a position to plan right now. 

We can only plan significantly after the final decision on his suspension has be made. They  knew they had to possibly resign Njock, might have to trade for Jimmy, we didn't know how much we would have to pay for Baker's contract.

Control what you can control. If you know you can put all the money at the backend you can at least plan for the future better, but if you dont know what his suspension is going to be you don't know when his money is going to truly kick in.

Anything else would've been the wrong move. Kick the money down the road because you don't even know what the Cap will be like in the future. Shoot after this Amazon deal his contract may not be that bad. You lock him in now at a high number before the cap spikes like everyone is expecting so it doesn't look as low later. 

So clear irrefutable reasons. 

1. You don't know when he's going to start actually making his money. 

2. You had to brace for potentially paying all of Bakers contract. 

3. You needed cap salary flexibility to potentially bring in another QB just like Jimmy G who cost I think 25ish million? 

By the time you go over those even worrying about how the suspension effects the optics of the situation is a moot point. It's clearly the wrong move to give af about optics when the value of kicking it down the road is in plain site. 

The Browns actually have a smart FO and people just dont get it. They don't understand how this all makes sense. Just wait till he plays and it'll all start making sense.

The contract isn't back loaded, years 2-5 are exactly the same. Year one is the only year that is different.

A suspended players contract doesn't count against the cap so if he was set to make 46 million this year and was suspended the whole season we don't count that 46 against the cap.

17 minutes ago, AkronsWitness said:

How good is Jimmy G? I gotta say I dont watch many 49ers games but from box score watching and the few that Ive seen from them, would it be crazy to say that Jimmy G is just Jared Goff who many people think is absolute garbage?

He's a game manager. Limited but won't make a ton of mistakes. Good enough to win with when the team around him is good. Plus he's familiar with the offense we run and he does well when the team has a strong running game, which we obviously do.

Jacoby is a game manager too, but Jimmy G is a better one. I definitely feel better about our chances to compete for the playoffs with Jimmy than I do with Jacoby as our QB all year.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, DawgX said:

He's a game manager. Limited but won't make a ton of mistakes. Good enough to win with when the team around him is good. Plus he's familiar with the offense we run and he does well when the team has a strong running game, which we obviously do.

Jacoby is a game manager too, but Jimmy G is a better one. I definitely feel better about our chances to compete for the playoffs with Jimmy than I do with Jacoby as our QB all year.

I still need an answer on why we got rid of Case Keenum.....because he would be pretty perfect for this season and we wouldnt be doing this musical chairs thing between Brissett, Watson and Garoppolo.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, AkronsWitness said:

I still need an answer on why we got rid of Case Keenum.....because he would be pretty perfect for this season and we wouldnt be doing this musical chairs thing between Brissett, Watson and Garoppolo.

Because he made too much money and he’s really not that good. You can’t go 8+ games with a qb who can’t throw 15 yards. 

5 minutes ago, sdrawkcab321 said:

Because he made too much money and he’s really not that good. You can’t go 8+ games with a qb who can’t throw 15 yards. 

Keenum is getting paid 3.5M by Buffalo and the Browns handed 4.6M to Brissett.

Keenum also has 9.8 Yards Per Completion while Brissett was at 9.1 and Garoppolo is at 8.6

I could argue with his familiarity with the Browns system and players, Keenum would have easily been the best option of all three QBs to get us through 8-12 games.

Edited by AkronsWitness

2 minutes ago, AkronsWitness said:

Keenum is getting paid 3.5M by Buffalo and the Browns handed 4.6M to Brissett.

Keenum also has 9.8 Yards Per Completion while Brissett was at 9.1 and Garoppolo is at 8.6

I could argue with his familiarity with the Browns system and players, Keenum would have easily been the best option of all three QBs to get us through 8-12 games.

I know what the numbers say. But you just gotta watch them throw and it’s obvious. I remember back in the colt mccoy days there were stats saying could throw deep. But we know he couldn’t. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Thomas5737 said:

The contract isn't back loaded, years 2-5 are exactly the same. Year one is the only year that is different.

A suspended players contract doesn't count against the cap so if he was set to make 46 million this year and was suspended the whole season we don't count that 46 against the cap.

Same thing. The real money is being pushed back. 

What your saying doesn’t change the fact that we don’t know when he’s going to get paid. We don’t know what his suspension is going to be. So if they would’ve made the 46 million his salary this year. They wouldn’t have known whether that’s going to start in 2022 or 2023 or even 2024 if the reinstatement doesn’t go well. They had to prepare for everything, and the best way to do that was make his first year salary as low as possible to allow you to maneuver money later. 

I know you don’t wanna accept it, but it was the best thing to do from an objective business standpoint. 

1 hour ago, brownie man said:

Same thing. The real money is being pushed back. 

What your saying doesn’t change the fact that we don’t know when he’s going to get paid. We don’t know what his suspension is going to be. So if they would’ve made the 46 million his salary this year. They wouldn’t have known whether that’s going to start in 2022 or 2023 or even 2024 if the reinstatement doesn’t go well. They had to prepare for everything, and the best way to do that was make his first year salary as low as possible to allow you to maneuver money later. 

I know you don’t wanna accept it, but it was the best thing to do from an objective business standpoint. 

Yeah, none of this makes any sense. It's worst case as far as organization, best case for Watson. 

We are about 49 million under the cap this year and currently over the next two years. We can carry over to next year but that's just an added step to be the same place as we would be anyway and makes everything a little tougher for the remaining years of his contract.

It is obvious that this contract was written for Watson's financial security. I'm not sure why anyone would even care to debate otherwise. He isn't worth defending, especially stupid things like money. Just enjoy the guy on the field you don't need to fight his demons for him. 

4 hours ago, brownie man said:

@Thomas5737

so please tell me 

if we paid Watson let’s say 40 million this year which is what youre advocating for

and he gets suspended 12 games so he would be counting against the cap

how would we be able to afford Jimmy Garrapollo’s contract which is what 25 million? 

Only his games where he isn't suspended would count against the cap. So if it was 46 million and he was suspended 12 games he would count for like 13.5 against the cap. (currently he counts for just under 10 I think. However, I believe the signing bonus still counts so he will count for 8.5 this year even if he is suspended the whole year. None of the salary though.

Before rollover, we are like 33 million over the cap next year. There is no reasonable way we can take on Jimmy G.'s full contract this year without a nightmare occurring next season.