Browns General Discussion

candyman93

2 hours ago, DaWg_LB. said:

I know a lot of folks are down on our DT's.....I want to see what our DT's do before we write them off.

Two positions the media has harped on for us is DT and WR.....now WR is decimated by injury, but when healthy I didnt see the need to panic and bring in someone else. At WR, we brought in a Vet #1 who's a standard 80-88 catches 1,150-1,250 yards 7-10 TD kind of guy. Our #2 receiver WILL be the TE position I feel, then you have DPJ maturing still headed into the 3rd year where he should blossom, the Schwartz with his 4.23 headed into his 2nd year, drafted a kid in the 3rd and 6th and both have looked the part, STILL have the Flex player in Demtric Felton, who I feel is being forgotten here....and till yesterday Jakeem Grant to fix the KR/PR game and I thought he was going to give us a little more at WR then people expected.

DT I look at it the same way, we have a Former #1 pick being brought in to play his best position from College, the 3tech DT, he was miscast in Jax odd man alignments IMO, a 3rd year 2nd day pick, a 2nd year 4th round pick and a Rookie taken in Round 4 I saw projected to go as high as round 2 after he won MVP at the Sr. Bowl....I'm not saying were loaded at either position by any stretch of the imagination, I'm saying there's a LOT of young DRAFTED talent there, albeit unproven....but lets see what we got before the sky is falling...one of those DT's may turn out to be a Wyatt Teller type situation....  

Taven Bryan is intriguing.  He’s an animal with high level physical ability.  He’s also either dumb as hell or simply has the football awareness of a rock.  

He seems like the kind of dude who could be nice if you give him a very defined, simple role. Let him rush from the inside and just pin his ears back and go and see what happens.  He’s absolutely not a read a react player though lol.

• Like 1

23 hours ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

Taven Bryan is intriguing.  He’s an animal with high level physical ability.  He’s also either dumb as hell or simply has the football awareness of a rock.  

He seems like the kind of dude who could be nice if you give him a very defined, simple role. Let him rush from the inside and just pin his ears back and go and see what happens.  He’s absolutely not a read a react player though lol.

EXACTLY......and thats what they were asking him to do in Jax....my biggest concern is that we have 3DT's that are supposed to be like that....Tongia who's a NT who's 6'2'ish and 300lbs.....hopefully Elliot makes the transition to NT this year....hes supposedly bulked up to 310 while retaining his quickness....

• Like 1

2 hours ago, candyman93 said:

Mary Kay says we will look to acquire Jimmy G if Watson is suspended for a longer time.

He's Baker Heavy. More efficient from a completion % standpoint, has a history in a similar offense, and is an NFL starting caliber QB who is limited and flawed...good bridge guy who gives us a chance at remaining in the playoff contention hunt.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, MWil23 said:

He's Baker Heavy. More efficient from a completion % standpoint, has a history in a similar offense, and is an NFL starting caliber QB who is limited and flawed...good bridge guy who gives us a chance at remaining in the playoff contention hunt.

He's basically Baker with a better attitude 

I'm all for it. 

If we can trade less than a 3rd for him we could actually make out pretty big next year with a comp pick once he resigns somewhere else. 

This is another reason why I think the media is so stupid for complaining about Deshaun's contract. We wouldn't even have the flexibility to trade for Jimmy at his current number unless we gave Deshaun an extremely low salary, but people are stupid and don't want to think that like smh. 

5 hours ago, brownie man said:

This is another reason why I think the media is so stupid for complaining about Deshaun's contract. We wouldn't even have the flexibility to trade for Jimmy at his current number unless we gave Deshaun an extremely low salary,

It makes me want to pull my hair out every time a member of the media puts out the false narrative that the Browns structured the low cap figure in year one of Watson's contract to help him avoid losing money during the suspension at his agent's behest.  Even Browns media who seem to know better, repeat this narrative.

Please let me know how Watsons contract is different structurally,  guaranteed money aside, from any of the following recent big contract extensions or signings. (Figures from Spotrac.com  https://www.spotrac.com) K=Contract, SB=Signing Bonus, BS=Base Salary

Dak Prescott: $160,000,000 K; 18,400,000 SB; 1,600,000 BS

Matthew Stafford: $160,000,000 K; $60,000,000 SB; $1,500,000 BS

Aaron Rogers: $150,815,000 K; $40,800,000 SB; $1,500,000 BS

Deshaun Watson: $230,000,000 K; $44,965,000 SB; $1,035,000 BS

Tyreek Hill: $120,000,000 K; $25,500,000 SB; $1,035,000 BS

Myles Garrett: $125,000,000 K; $21,000,000 SB; $1,035,000 BS

A.J. Brown: $100,000,000 K; $23,234,000 SB; $986,000 BS

Kyler Murray: $230,500,000 K; $29,035,000 SB; $986,000 BS

Deebo Samuel: $71,550,000 K; $24,035,000 SB; $965,000 BS

It really surprises me as to how little NFL reporters and talking heads seem to know about the structure of contracts.  I've seen Peter King, Mike Florio, Chris Simms get it wrong.  Even the supposedly sophisticated commentators at pro football focus who are all about cap numbers etc. demonstrate ignorance as to how large contracts are now structured in the NFL.🙄

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, mrpazzo said:

It makes me want to pull my hair out every time a member of the media puts out the false narrative that the Browns structured the low cap figure in year one of Watson's contract to help him avoid losing money during the suspension at his agent's behest.  Even Browns media who seem to know better, repeat this narrative.

Well if it was a balanced contract (like the final 4 years) his cap hit in years 2-5 would be 46 million. Helpful to the team in comparison to 55 million. So it hurts the team to give him a smaller base contract year one. So why do that? There must be a reason. There is one huge one staring up, because when you are suspended you are fined your base salary.

What other possible explanation is there? It's pretty in your face why the contract was written how it was. To try to deny it doesn't make sense to me because it would benefit no one to do it that way except Watson and only because of his impending suspension.

If anyone has any other thoughts why we would or he would benefit from having a minimum base salary year one I am listening.

3 hours ago, Thomas5737 said:

What other possible explanation is there? It's pretty in your face why the contract was written how it was. To try to deny it doesn't make sense to me because it would benefit no one to do it that way except Watson and only because of his impending suspension.

FLEXIBILITY 

They didn't and still don't know what is going to happen with this suspension. The absolute smartest thing to do was to push everything far down the road as possible because we are not in a position to plan right now. 

We can only plan significantly after the final decision on his suspension has be made. They  knew they had to possibly resign Njock, might have to trade for Jimmy, we didn't know how much we would have to pay for Baker's contract.

Control what you can control. If you know you can put all the money at the backend you can at least plan for the future better, but if you dont know what his suspension is going to be you don't know when his money is going to truly kick in.

Anything else would've been the wrong move. Kick the money down the road because you don't even know what the Cap will be like in the future. Shoot after this Amazon deal his contract may not be that bad. You lock him in now at a high number before the cap spikes like everyone is expecting so it doesn't look as low later. 

So clear irrefutable reasons. 

1. You don't know when he's going to start actually making his money. 

2. You had to brace for potentially paying all of Bakers contract. 

3. You needed cap salary flexibility to potentially bring in another QB just like Jimmy G who cost I think 25ish million? 

By the time you go over those even worrying about how the suspension effects the optics of the situation is a moot point. It's clearly the wrong move to give af about optics when the value of kicking it down the road is in plain site. 

The Browns actually have a smart FO and people just dont get it. They don't understand how this all makes sense. Just wait till he plays and it'll all start making sense.

Edited by brownie man

2 hours ago, brownie man said:

FLEXIBILITY 

They didn't and still don't know what is going to happen with this suspension. The absolute smartest thing to do was to push everything far down the road as possible because we are not in a position to plan right now. 

We can only plan significantly after the final decision on his suspension has be made. They  knew they had to possibly resign Njock, might have to trade for Jimmy, we didn't know how much we would have to pay for Baker's contract.

Control what you can control. If you know you can put all the money at the backend you can at least plan for the future better, but if you dont know what his suspension is going to be you don't know when his money is going to truly kick in.

Anything else would've been the wrong move. Kick the money down the road because you don't even know what the Cap will be like in the future. Shoot after this Amazon deal his contract may not be that bad. You lock him in now at a high number before the cap spikes like everyone is expecting so it doesn't look as low later. 

So clear irrefutable reasons. 

1. You don't know when he's going to start actually making his money. 

2. You had to brace for potentially paying all of Bakers contract. 

3. You needed cap salary flexibility to potentially bring in another QB just like Jimmy G who cost I think 25ish million? 

By the time you go over those even worrying about how the suspension effects the optics of the situation is a moot point. It's clearly the wrong move to give af about optics when the value of kicking it down the road is in plain site. 

The Browns actually have a smart FO and people just dont get it. They don't understand how this all makes sense. Just wait till he plays and it'll all start making sense.

I believe it was more his agent than the Browns FO. I think they9agent/Watson) knew it was coming and part of the only way that he would sign here was for us to offer both all of that money and defer much of it. He had already turned us down once and had all of the leverage for them to sign him since they were acting so desperate.