Browns General Discussion

candyman93

14 minutes ago, sdrawkcab321 said:

I could almost convince myself of all this this too. If we didn’t just  see it last year. Literally the same LB group with a few new ST guys. 

I guess it depends on how much you thought of our scheme.

I saw a scheme that accentuated precisely zero of our strengths and got about as little as possible out of the group of players we had.  

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, BetterCallSaul said:

It is. The big tell will be the coaching upgrades. Schematically, we were doing some @$$ backwards things at LB. But maybe it’s because they suck, maybe it’s because the coaches sucked. We shall see. I have a feeling it was the coaches. That said, this is an average LB core at best with the GOAT coaches, IMO. JOK is a stud in the making if we put him at STAR. As a WILL, he’s useless aside from blatant passing downs. That is the only star we have. Walker, Fields, Phillips, & Takitaki are average at their ceilings.

My gripe with our draft was leaving WLB unaddressed. It likely means we’re keeping JOK on the weak side, which is sucky. 

If Fields is at Will with Taki at Sam/Edge hybrid and Walker at Mike with JOK as your star, I don’t hate it but I don’t love it either.

1 hour ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

I guess it depends on how much you thought of our scheme.

I saw a scheme that accentuated precisely zero of our strengths and got about as little as possible out of the group of players we had.  

Scheme is part of it. But not all of it. You dont just run it back with the same crap we saw. You gotta upgrade. That’ll be obvious once the season starts and our LBs are getting abused for the 20th season in a row meanwhile the ravens and Steelers will once again have a top defense and solid LBs. 

2 hours ago, sdrawkcab321 said:

Scheme is part of it. But not all of it. You dont just run it back with the same crap we saw. You gotta upgrade. That’ll be obvious once the season starts and our LBs are getting abused for the 20th season in a row meanwhile the ravens and Steelers will once again have a top defense and solid LBs. 

So you don’t think the amount of assets we’ve spent on the D line will help at all?

2 hours ago, brownie man said:

So you don’t think the amount of assets we’ve spent on the D line will help at all?

It certainly will. Good DL gives more space for LBs to work. However, Im not satisfied with what we have (shocker). Still feels like we are 1 piece on the front 7 away from me being comfortable heading into the season.

A guy like....Frank Clark would help a ton and make me feel way better with the unit. Maybe even resigning Dion Jones for nothing.

I dont want to go into next season relying on Takitaki, Walker and Phillips. Please god no dont let it happen. Give me somebody with a higher ceiling.

(I also dont like the amount of trust the FO is putting on the kid from Houston opposite of Myles). Frank Clark would solve that and give you 2 shots at the target....just in case one doesnt work out.

2 hours ago, brownie man said:

For the LBers? No not really. The DTs aren’t going to help them wrap up and take down a RB. The line will be stronger in front of them for sure but it’s up to the LBers to do their job. Which is something they have been bad at. And we continue to ignore. 

5 minutes ago, BetterCallSaul said:

We can make our linebackers significantly better if we don’t do that idiotic Wide 9 nonsense. We could keep them clean very easily, even with subpar DL talent, just by doing that. That’s my 1 complaint about Schwartz, is that he’s a Wide-9 guy. 

Yep. It’s lot like this is a 2000s ravens scheme where we have 3 of the fattest guys in the league up front to take up space. We’re gonna have our 4 guys stretched out as far as possible. The DTs won’t matter when they’re 3 feet away from each other. 

Just now, sdrawkcab321 said:

We’re gonna have our 4 guys stretched out as far as possible. The DTs won’t matter when they’re 3 feet away from each other. 

That will be the death of the run defense, especially if we only play with 2 LBs in our base. That is Joe Woods all over again. We need to play with 5T’s and 6I’s to TE looks. Hell, we could get away with JOK at MIKE with that alignment. 

4 minutes ago, BetterCallSaul said:

That will be the death of the run defense, especially if we only play with 2 LBs in our base. That is Joe Woods all over again. We need to play with 5T’s and 6I’s to TE looks. Hell, we could get away with JOK at MIKE with that alignment. 

That entirely depends on if JOK can step it up after a disappointing year. He’s gotta add some weight to go up against TEs over the middle. He got murdered. He’s in danger of being Myles jack 2.0 

I wish football leagues weren’t so expensive to operate.

Leagues like XFL, USFL, and Arena Football are ALWAYS good for the NFL. They’re no threat to the NFL, but you can see guys develop with no risk on your end.

We brought in the XFL defensive player of the year.

https://heavy.com/sports/cleveland-browns/pita-taumopenu-workout-xfl-standout-rumors/

Edited by candyman93

A week after the draft has given time to digest it all. The utter frustrations of last season have given way refreshing hope for 2023. Here are my thoughts:

End of 2022 season to Free Agency:

Joe Woods was replaced by Super Bowl winning DC Jim Schwartz. 

Mike Priefer was replaced by Bubba Ventrone.

Both were home run moves by Stefanski. 

Woods' schemes and personnel decisions were curious, to say the least. They translated into guys mailing it in the final few games.

Schwartz brings his Super Bowl winning defensive philosophies. Scuttlebutt from the first few defensive meetings was that Schwartz is night and day different. Guys now know intimately what is expected of them. Put in the work or get out.

The schemes and execution of our 2022 ST units were stupid and poor. The 2023 units will reflect the attitude of their coach. Ventrone always played with his hair on fire - any player giving less than that effort will be looking for work elsewhere.

The final move pre FA was resigning C Ethan Pocic. I said this when we picked him up - this is an AB special.

Ethan's a former 2nd round pick that fell out of favor with his first team. New set of scenery - Ethan flourished. Ethan's value was cemented during his 4 game injury absence. Running game fell of the map.

Free Agency:

Immediate steps taken to fix the biggest problem on the 2022 defense.

DT Tomlinson, DE Hurst, DT Hill, and DE Oboronkwo made Myles Garrett smile. 

Offensively, we gave Watson another weapon he has good history with - TE Jordan Akins.

Pre Draft:

AB pulls off a stunner. Gets GREAT value for the 42nd pick by bringing in Elijah Moore. I wanted him badly in the 2021 draft, now we have him with a year of experience. 

And the cherry on top was signing WR Marquise Goodwin. The field stretcher we so desperately needed.

Draft:

Tillman: completes the WR room. Do you want to defend against Cooper, Tillman, Njoku, Akins and Chubb/Moore in the red zone? Me neither.

Ika: completes the DT rotation. I know he is a run stuffer deluxe, but I think he has untapped potential as a pass rusher. 

Dawand: Future long term starter at RT. An answer at LT as well?

McGuire: developmental rush DE. Could play a big role as a rotational piece.

DTR: was not thrilled with this pick, but it has grown on me. A lot of upside that completes the QB room.

Mitchell: Who? I did know who Emerson was either and he ended up being our defensive MVP. Mitchell is a sure tackler.

Wypler: Future center long term. Also has G experience. 

Post draft:

Rodney McLeod. Home run signing to pair with Juan Thornhill to lock down the back end.

Training camp starts a week early due to playing the Jets in the HOF game.

Edited by brooks1957

5 hours ago, brooks1957 said:

Mitchell: Who? I did know who Emerson was either and he ended up being our defensive MVP. Mitchell is a sure tackler

I think you got it twisted. He is awesome as a cover guy—struggles to make tackles in space. Which, honestly, if we’re going to be playing more press man (rumored to be his plan), corners tackling becomes much less of a concern. The big problem is when you play zone and allow guys to catch the ball underneath and RAC. Hopefully we don’t do that now that our DC isn’t a total shythead. 

On 5/5/2023 at 5:45 PM, brownie man said:

Remember right now we are down on sacks because Clowney came off of a 8.5 sacks the season before.

are new safety is Jj so no improvement there.

Yes wr are up a 37 catch wr that's it.

Ol depth is average do we catch kc with that draft?

I will answer myself no way no how.