Browns General Discussion

candyman93

4 minutes ago, AkronsWitness said:

Not sure what the Browns do with Watkins but it will be interesting. Part of me believes it sends a bad message if somebody absolutly crushes their opportunities in TC/Preseason and not have them make the team. Otherwise what are we doing all this for.

I’d look to carry 2 TE or 2 RB or whatever before I let him walk personally.

8 hours ago, AkronsWitness said:

Not sure what the Browns do with Watkins but it will be interesting. Part of me believes it sends a bad message if somebody absolutly crushes their opportunities in TC/Preseason and not have them make the team. Otherwise what are we doing all this for.

There’s been a ton of cats that crushed it against 3rd and 4th teamers. My guess is he lands on the practice squad. 

14 hours ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

Wrong Bell but correct answer for that Bell.

Ah. I mean, Bell is fine for a 5th WR. He runs good routes and has good hands. He gives you nothing after the catch. Flashes of Hollywood Higgins.

I think he’s a victim of being drafted way too high as opposed to his lack of production. You’d like to see more upside from a third round pick.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, MWil23 said:

Ah. I mean, Bell is fine for a 5th WR. He runs good routes and has good hands. He gives you nothing after the catch. Flashes of Hollywood Higgins.

I think he’s a victim of being drafted way too high as opposed to his lack of production. You’d like to see more upside from a third round pick.

I think that’s a fair assessment, at least as of now.

As those links I posted before show, he got open and caught the ball when it was thrown his way.  Can’t ask for much more than that.

He’s definitely limited in his ability, but I think he’s a guy who could potentially work up to as high as a #2 dude if everything falls in place.  He runs good routes, gets open and catches the ball.  No holes in his game other than top end speed.  That’s a classic possession receiver.  

Worst case scenario i think Higgins is a fair comp, but Higgins played 7 years in the league. That’s not a bad pick, even for a 3rd rounder.

10 minutes ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

I think that’s a fair assessment, at least as of now.

As those links I posted before show, he got open and caught the ball when it was thrown his way.  Can’t ask for much more than that.

He’s definitely limited in his ability, but I think he’s a guy who could potentially work up to as high as a #2 dude if everything falls in place.  He runs good routes, gets open and catches the ball.  No holes in his game other than top end speed.  That’s a classic possession receiver.  

Worst case scenario i think Higgins is a fair comp, but Higgins played 7 years in the league. That’s not a bad pick, even for a 3rd rounder.

I think, while that assessment based upon production is absolutely accurate, it’s also flawed.

He is completely or almost completely lined up in the slot and so it doesn’t take into account the lack of seeing good outside corner matchups or play.

Realistically, that limits his value well behind both DPJ and Moore who have value in both spots and offer far more after the catch or taking off the top of a defense.

Granted, if he can end up lining up outside and producing, that makes him a viable possession guy and 3rd down option. 

This is a make or break year for DPJ as to whether or not we re-sign him and Cooper’s contract is looming (but I’d lock him up personally). Moore has a year or two left as well.

I think we need EITHER Tillman OR DPJ to pop and EITHER Moore OR Bell to pop and to retain Cooper as the pure 1.

Ans to be fair, if Watkins ends up continuing to ball, he’s 6’3 with value all over the field and possesses a gear and size that Bell doesn’t have. Just my 2 cents.

• Like 1