Browns General Discussion

candyman93

32 minutes ago, ReggieCamp said:

I disagree with you about Berry and the salary cap. I guess that makes me a derp derp derper.

But I will definitely agree with you on the economy.

You’re not a derp derper reggie. I just don’t see a way the other shoe doesnt drop as we kick the can down the road though.

A derp derper is a shameless Berry apologist incapable of valid constructive criticism. “He’s been fine except the Watson trade” is the dumbest counter argument ever. 

He’s been fine except for potentially at best and probably at worst lighting 3 firsts and change and a quarter billion dollars on fire is really something else.

At least I’m a self proclaimed Berry the GM hater. I bet he’s probably a really nice guy IRL, he just is trash as a GM.

11 minutes ago, MWil23 said:

A derp derper is a shameless Berry apologist incapable of valid constructive criticism. “He’s been fine except the Watson trade” is the dumbest counter argument ever. 

He’s been fine except for potentially at best and probably at worst lighting 3 firsts and change and a quarter billion dollars on fire is really something else.

At least I’m a self proclaimed Berry the GM hater. I bet he’s probably a really nice guy IRL, he just is trash as a GM.

So you don't think we have a good (or great) roster?

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, ReggieCamp said:

So you don't think we have a good (or great) roster?

Because of what he has built? Absolutely not. Myles, Ward, Njoku, Chubb all weren’t his guys.

I give him credit for trading for Cooper, drafting Emerson and JOK, along with Delpit who had a great year last year after a bad rookie injury and tough second year. DeWand had a nice year as well.

I think the rest of the roster is super mediocre, I hated the Jeudy trade and contract, the Moore trade was meh at best, the Conklin contract sucks, Wills is meh at best and certainly not as good as Wirfs.

Thats an average to above average job for a GM before essentially making the worst trade in the history of football up to this point.

Berry has been pretty good with some really big warts.

We'll have to see how it plays out, that will determine what he will be remembered for.

We are kicking the can down the road and the run will in all likelihood end somewhat abruptly. There is a chance some of the later round picks become really good and we keep churning by drafting great every year, but it's not likely.

Pretty sure the job of the current regime was to win at any cost and that's what they're trying to do. Worst case scenario they are just another name in the Cleveland Browns graveyard.

For those looking for long term success, it's probably not happening in the next 10 years.

Lonnie Phelps doing his best Perrion Winfrey impression.

Memo to Lonnie the brain child:

This team is loaded at DE, and you pull a stunt like this - then act the way you did afterwards? Can you even grasp what an opportunity and how much money you just pissed away?

Charter member of The Mensa Midgets Club.

See ya Lonnie

Edited by brooks1957

On 6/20/2024 at 6:02 AM, MWil23 said:

Because of what he has built? Absolutely not. Myles, Ward, Njoku, Chubb all weren’t his guys.

I give him credit for trading for Cooper, drafting Emerson and JOK, along with Delpit who had a great year last year after a bad rookie injury and tough second year. DeWand had a nice year as well.

I think the rest of the roster is super mediocre, I hated the Jeudy trade and contract, the Moore trade was meh at best, the Conklin contract sucks, Wills is meh at best and certainly not as good as Wirfs.

Thats an average to above average job for a GM before essentially making the worst trade in the history of football up to this point.

It's an exaggeration that it was the worst trade in history. That still belongs to Hershell Walker. 

Watson is an awful person and sadly a mediocre football player. 

He throws a great ball, has average decision making and worsening athleticism. And he is now very injury prone.

He plays football like he isnt fragile. 

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Kiwibrown said:

It's an exaggeration that it was the worst trade in history. That still belongs to Hershell Walker. 

The Browns gave up comparable assets and a LOT more money in a salary cap era.

24 minutes ago, Kiwibrown said:

Watson is an awful person and sadly a mediocre football player. 

He throws a great ball, has average decision making and worsening athleticism. And he is now very injury prone.

He plays football like he isnt fragile. 

He’s guaranteed 1/4 of a billion dollars. If he continues playing like this sans a half against Baltimore and against two dumpster squads in the Titans and Cardinals, they’d have been better off drafting literally 3 boxes of footballs because at least they can walk away with a sunk cost of draft assets and virtually no money.

53 minutes ago, MWil23 said:

The Browns gave up comparable assets and a LOT more money in a salary cap era.

He’s guaranteed 1/4 of a billion dollars. If he continues playing like this sans a half against Baltimore and against two dumpster squads in the Titans and Cardinals, they’d have been better off drafting literally 3 boxes of footballs because at least they can walk away with a sunk cost of draft assets and virtually no money.

Yeah. It's dog poop. Bottom 5.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, ReggieCamp said:

Let's be honest here.

If Phelps was a star, a starter, or even a key rotational piece - the Browns would have gone to bat more ardently for Lonnie. But for a 2nd year UDFA who had a pedestrian season at best last year, and whose 2024 roster spot was tenuous at best - the Browns acted in a predictable way.

Every team needs role players, and that would have been Lonnie. But when you fail to grasp the concept of not engaging in behavior that puts your career at risk - not much can be or should be done for you.

You get one, two, or for some, 30 chances to screw up if the perception is that you’re good enough. I think the front office has probably already shown that they don’t actually care that much about character, but this guy was fringe roster body so the move here was inevitable.