Browns General Discussion

candyman93

I’m not ready to sound the alarms just yet, it’s still just preseason and this is a veteran team at this point. No rookie starters week 1 and only 1 second year starter in Jones ans that’s only if Conklin/Wills aren’t ready. Veteran coaches too, there’s no one who’s unproven in that regard either.  

Obviously we’d have all liked the reports out of camp to have been more positive, but practice is exactly that and I’m sure for a lot of vets training camp is hard to get up for and take super seriously every day.  I think most of these players will hit another gear when the actual season starts.

Watson is the key though, no doubts there.  The arm soreness is a non issue, he practiced all day and took normal throws.  It’s honestly not surprising as he just started throwing on consecutive days a few weeks ago iirc. He’s a vet, the offense has been tailored to his strengths, etc. and imo he’s entirely out of excuses.  Sure he’ll have a bad game every now and then, everyone does, but either he’s “that dude” this season or it’s time to start looking for someone new.

There is definite cause for some tempered skepticism:

1. Watson hasn’t been good or available in 4+ years 

2. Jerry Jeudy is a career underachiever 

3. The OL situation is worse than past years 

4. Chubb looks like he’s on the PUP list for 4 weeks and our backup RB are pretty meh

5. We have the toughest schedule in the NFL

6. New offensive system

In a vacuum, the sky isn’t falling, but there’s enough there to be fairly uneasy.

11 minutes ago, MWil23 said:

There is definite cause for some tempered skepticism:

1. Watson hasn’t been good or available in 4+ years 

He showed the elite ability in the ravens game, but yeah, he’s not been consistent or available.  That game doesn’t mean a lot, but it does show the dude we traded for us still “in there”.

2. Jerry Jeudy is a career underachiever 

underachieving is only relevant when considering expectations.  As a number 1 receiver?  Absolutely underachieved in that regard.  As a high end number 2?  Eh, we’ll see.  He’s had issues, if he didn’t he’d be a bonafide #1, but he’s also had not great QB play too.

3. The OL situation is worse than past years 

Not really imo.  Maybe we start the year with some guys being hurt, but we played almost all of last season without Conklin, Jed missed games then as did pretty much everyone.  Our OL is as talented as any in the league tbh, there’s no excuses for this group imo.  Having to scheme around one subpar starter for a couple weeks isn’t the end of the world.  Or shouldn’t be anyway.

4. Chubb looks like he’s on the PUP list for 4 weeks and our backup RB are pretty meh

this completely depends on health to me.  Ford is meh as hell imo, but Foreman is underrated and can play.  Hines is really good at what I’d expect us to ask him to do (3rd down back stuff).  Nothing worse than most of last year imo.

5. We have the toughest schedule in the NFL

yeah, that’s always gonna be the case in this division.

6. New offensive system

So this is a legit concern, fair enough.

In a vacuum, the sky isn’t falling, but there’s enough there to be fairly uneasy.

I think fairly uneasy is a conditioned response for this fanbase tbh lol. We have potential issues, sure, but so does pretty much every team.  We should be competitive though.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

He showed the elite ability in the ravens game, but yeah, he’s not been consistent or available.  That game doesn’t mean a lot, but it does show the dude we traded for us still “in there”.

He showed it in the second half of one game, yes

underachieving is only relevant when considering expectations.  As a number 1 receiver?  Absolutely underachieved in that regard.  As a high end number 2?  Eh, we’ll see.  He’s had issues, if he didn’t he’d be a bonafide #1, but he’s also had not great QB play too.

Tee Higgins is a high end 2. DeVontae Smith is a high end 2. Deebo Samuel is a high end 2. Jeudy has 11 TD in 4 years and has never eclipsed the 1,000 yard mark and has a massive case of the dripsies. But maybe he figures it out this season. And if he’s never had good QB play, he’s in the right spot until proven otherwise.

Not really imo.  Maybe we start the year with some guys being hurt, but we played almost all of last season without Conklin, Jed missed games then as did pretty much everyone.  Our OL is as talented as any in the league tbh, there’s no excuses for this group imo.  Having to scheme around one subpar starter for a couple weeks isn’t the end of the world.  Or shouldn’t be anyway.

If everyone is healthy, sure. If we continue to be banged up, I’m concerned.

this completely depends on health to me.  Ford is meh as hell imo, but Foreman is underrated and can play.  Hines is really good at what I’d expect us to ask him to do (3rd down back stuff).  Nothing worse than most of last year imo.

And last year was pretty “meh”. Underwhelming, average, however you want to define that.

yeah, that’s always gonna be the case in this division.

And the out of division games are no cake walk either.

So this is a legit concern, fair enough.

A new spread scheme when we having a mauling OL with Teller, Jones, and even Wills as drive blockers to a spread type scheme warrants pause IMO, and that doesn’t take anything else into account as far as a learning curve goes.

I think fairly uneasy is a conditioned response for this fanbase tbh lol. We have potential issues, sure, but so does pretty much every team.  We should be competitive though.

Conditioned response absolutely, but I think taking a step back and looking at the known variables is warranted. 

@MWil23

I certainly didn't love the contract we gave Jeudy, but he's still better than any receiver we had on our roster last year besides Cooper.  Even if he's just a "good" #2, that's better than what we had last year. Like I said, I think it's totally fair to criticize the contract we gave him, but he's still an upgrade from what we've had.

Plus, he's dealt with some pretty bad QB play in Denver. If Watson is even average, that's an improvement for Jeudy and maybe his play becomes more consistent.

6 minutes ago, DawgX said:

@MWil23

I certainly didn't love the contract we gave Jeudy, but he's still better than any receiver we had on our roster last year besides Cooper.  Even if he's just a "good" #2, that's better than what we had last year. Like I said, I think it's totally fair to criticize the contract we gave him, but he's still an upgrade from what we've had.

I think it’s fair to say that all of this is true minus the fact that I don’t believe he’s shown to be a good #2. 

6 minutes ago, DawgX said:

Plus, he's dealt with some pretty bad QB play in Denver. If Watson is even average, that's an improvement for Jeudy and maybe his play becomes more consistent.

“If Watson is even average” is a depressing sentence on so many levels.

• Like 2

With past seasons, we were really bad, but we lived off of the off-season, draft hype etc and the unrealistic optimism going into the season. It seems like in seasons where we were good, there is doom and gloom the following off-season. It’s a fun trend.

All that said, I have us anywhere between 7-9 wins. I’m not sold on Watson elevating this team even if he is healthy, and my guy Chubb is an unknown.

I think we have one of the 5 most talented rosters on paper but I'm not sure I see us breaking 500. I'm very pessimistic on Watson and reading the tea-leaves it  seems hes not ready to perform. 

Maybe Jameis cant step up. Who knows. I dont think Watson will start 20 more games for the Browns. 

Posted (edited)

Just explaining my schedule thought process:

New York, Las Vegas, Washington, New Orleans, and Denver. Those are bad teams. I think last year we just fell asleep against Denver. Just didn’t look like they wanted to play. Denver was playing insanely hot, but they fizzled out for a reason. You could easily swap Denver out and say Jacksonville.

We split the division, but not sure specifically who with. That gives you at least 8 wins.

Edited by candyman93

14 hours ago, DawgX said:

To be fair, the Broncos were the 6th most efficient passing team in the NFL last year at 96.7. The Browns were 31st at 73.7.

Also, the Browns did pass for 400 more yards than the Broncos on like 120 more attempts so there should be better volume. The Browns were top 5 in pass attempts, the Broncos were bottom 5.

Also, the Browns were top 5 in rush attempts. They ran 50 more offensive plays than the next closest team. Pretty impressive for an offense who was bottom 5 in yards per play.

I can’t wait for the Watson apologists again this year with absurd excuses. Making out my bingo board now.

”He’s coming off of surgery”

”It’s a new system”

”Dorsey sucks”

”Stefanski shouldn’t be calling plays”

”We don’t have a running game”, bonus points for the contradiction 2 years ago about how archaic the running game is in todays NFL

”Insert generic comment here critical of the offensive line only having 2-3 pro bowl caliber players and needing a madden-esque OL with 5 guys 92 overall or better”

”Tough schedule”

”The defense regressed some” - bonus points for that having nothing to do with the offensive side

”Every quarterback has a few bad games”

”Just give it time, be patient, Browns fans are so impatient.” Bonus points for irony and it being Year 3.

• Like 1