2021 Draft Prospects

Tetsujin

21 hours ago, Deadeye said:

Yes and no. They don't want 6'3'' 240 at the sacrifice of speed.  Big, slow, plodding LBs are a thing of the past.

I don’t remember slow plodding LB’s ever being a thing, but LB’s that are good in pass coverage are a must have now as opposed to being a luxury in the past.

I don’t consider 6’3” 240 a big LB.  I believe that to be current prototypical size for an NFL LB.  Current prototypical LB speed is 4.65 40 and below.  

Edited by Swampbilly
  • Like 1

Kyle Pitts ran a 4.4 yesterday, does anyone think this guarantees that he moves to WR when he gets drafted? Or would you keep him at  TE? Personally for the dolphins, I would try and transition him to WR. We already have Gesicki who’s a tall, pass catching TE. If we do draft Pitts and transition him I think we would have the biggest receiving core in the league, Parker, Williams, Gesicki, Fuller, and Pitts. Those guys are all at least 6’3” and at least 215. That would be crazy.

23 minutes ago, Jdolphins18 said:

Kyle Pitts ran a 4.4 yesterday, does anyone think this guarantees that he moves to WR when he gets drafted? Or would you keep him at  TE? Personally for the dolphins, I would try and transition him to WR. We already have Gesicki who’s a tall, pass catching TE. If we do draft Pitts and transition him I think we would have the biggest receiving core in the league, Parker, Williams, Gesicki, Fuller, and Pitts. Those guys are all at least 6’3” and at least 215. That would be crazy.

Nobody is moving him out wide.  What makes Pitts so valuable is the mismatch he creates as a TE.  No LB is going to be able to cover him and very, very few safeties will be able to do it.  And just because he's still a TE doesn't mean he can't be the main focus of the passing game.  

1 hour ago, hrubes20 said:

Nobody is moving him out wide.  What makes Pitts so valuable is the mismatch he creates as a TE.  No LB is going to be able to cover him and very, very few safeties will be able to do it.  And just because he's still a TE doesn't mean he can't be the main focus of the passing game.  

True. That fact that Chase just ran a 4.38 makes this a very tough choice, I wish smith would have ran. I still really like Smith because we already have plenty of size and Smith’s ability to run routes and create space that way is one of his best attributes and that’s something we could really use.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Jdolphins18 said:

True. That fact that Chase just ran a 4.38 makes this a very tough choice, I wish smith would have ran. I still really like Smith because we already have plenty of size and Smith’s ability to run routes and create space that way is one of his best attributes and that’s something we could really use.

Agreed about Smith.  I know I'm in the minority on here, but he's the pass-catcher I want the most.  I really do see Marvin Harrison with him.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, hrubes20 said:

Agreed about Smith.  I know I'm in the minority on here, but he's the pass-catcher I want the most.  I really do see Marvin Harrison with him.

I prefer Pitts or Chase but Smith is definitely a play maker and is worthy of the pick at 6 if they go that way. I'll understand the thinking but will be let down if they draft Sewell.  

My preference for RB would definitely be Harris even at 18 I think he’s worth breaking the “you don’t draft RB’s in the first” rule, but Michael Carter is really underrated, if he added a couple lb’s that would be great but his vision and awareness is amazing and he got the hole very well and can break tackles, spin, and juke guys outta their shoes.if we go RB later on the draft like round 3 or later I would look for Carter or Rhamomdre Stevenson. Flores coached both of them and said he was impressed by both. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Swampbilly said:

I don’t remember slow plodding LB’s ever being a thing, but LB’s that are good in pass coverage are a must have now as opposed to being a luxury in the past.

I don’t consider 6’3” 240 a big LB.  I believe that to be current prototypical size for an NFL LB.  Current prototypical LB speed is 4.65 40 and below.  

Back in the 70s and 80s, the top job LBs were supposed to perform was stopping the run using size and strength.  With the rise of the passing game, things have shifted to where speed is more important, even if the LB is smaller.

• Like 1

Been watching a ton of film.  Wouldn’t mind any of the following combinations...

6. Parsons, 18. Bateman (reminds me a lot of Davante Adams out of college)

6. Pitts, 18. Paye 

6. Chase, 18. Owosu-Kormoah 

If Rondale Moore is there at 50, he would be interesting.  He could line up all over the place and be a problem. Love his tape.

Javonte Williams... also a BEAST!!

Edited by Rgossett07

On 4/1/2021 at 2:09 PM, hrubes20 said:

I'm in that minority as well.  I'm also in the minority of Harris at 18 too though.  I love the fact that these picks would give Tua some continuity, and they are both dynamic playmakers.  I understand the value side of the draft but I believe there are exceptions.

This draft should primarily be about Tua IMO.  We traded out of pick 3 showing we are all in on Tua, so let's get him the best players to help him be successful immediately.  Our Defense has holes no doubt, but we had a top 10 Defense last season even with those holes. 

It's a no brainer to me........ 6. Smith 18. Harris 36. Creed Humphrey / Alex Leatherwood 50. Landon Dickerson / Wyatt Davis

We are now linked to the success or failure of Tua, so let's make the first 3 or 4 picks all about Tua!!!!

11 hours ago, Rgossett07 said:

Been watching a ton of film.  Wouldn’t mind any of the following combinations...

6. Parsons, 18. Bateman (reminds me a lot of Davante Adams out of college)

6. Pitts, 18. Paye 

6. Chase, 18. Owosu-Kormoah 

If Rondale Moore is there at 50, he would be interesting.  He could line up all over the place and be a problem. Love his tape.

Javonte Williams... also a BEAST!!

If you squint hard enough and pray to the draft gods fervently enough, a situation pops up where Parsons is there at 18 (plenty of chatter about him dropping a bit).  A Smith/Parsons 1st round is about as good as it would get for me.

1 hour ago, Swampbilly said:

I'm in that minority as well.  I'm also in the minority of Harris at 18 too though.  I love the fact that these picks would give Tua some continuity, and they are both dynamic playmakers.  I understand the value side of the draft but I believe there are exceptions.

This draft should primarily be about Tua IMO.  We traded out of pick 3 showing we are all in on Tua, so let's get him the best players to help him be successful immediately.  Our Defense has holes no doubt, but we had a top 10 Defense last season even with those holes. 

It's a no brainer to me........ 6. Smith 18. Harris 36. Creed Humphrey / Alex Leatherwood 50. Landon Dickerson / Wyatt Davis

We are now linked to the success or failure of Tua, so let's make the first 3 or 4 picks all about Tua!!!!

I would be absolutely shocked if 3 of the first 4 picks weren't on the offensive side of the ball.  Very likely a WR/TE, OL, and RB.

11 minutes ago, hrubes20 said:

If you squint hard enough and pray to the draft gods fervently enough, a situation pops up where Parsons is there at 18 (plenty of chatter about him dropping a bit).  A Smith/Parsons 1st round is about as good as it would get for me.

I would be absolutely shocked if 3 of the first 4 picks weren't on the offensive side of the ball.  Very likely a WR/TE, OL, and RB.

I think Creed Humphrey will be gone before we pick in the 2nd, but I think we definitely have to address the Center position and shore up the line. Tua being lefty Sewell at LT isn't as much a need, Tua's blind side is on the right. Offensive weapon at 6, best edge or LB at 18. Hypothetically though unlikely, if someone like Waddle/Smith falls to 18, how do you pass on them as well.  

I am hoping for a LB and Edge on defense and the rest investing on the offensive side of the  ball. Maybe a late round safety as well.  

The 29th can't get here fast enough. I'm ready for more news than the latest on Deshaun Watson's legal woes.