The Runners Thread

UKTexans

31 minutes ago, Heimdallr said:

I decided to sign up for a 5k on Sunday, but I haven't run more than a mile (my gym warmup) in over a year. Gonna be rough.

One of my favorites:

"If you never get in over your head, how do you know how tall you are ? "

Good Luck on Sunday and think of us losers as you hit the 4k marker

Actually I think I'll be alright. I went running yesterday and finished in 26:32 (without resting!), and today in 27:10 (with ~2 minutes of walking). I'm obviously not going to impress anyone with my times but I feel like I'll be able to finish the race without embarrassing myself.

It is amazing how much easier running outside is compared to a treadmill. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Heimdallr said:

Actually I think I'll be alright. I went running yesterday and finished in 26:32 (without resting!), and today in 27:10 (with ~2 minutes of walking). I'm obviously not going to impress anyone with my times but I feel like I'll be able to finish the race without embarrassing myself.

It is amazing how much easier running outside is compared to a treadmill. 

100% don't worry about embarrassing yourself. There will be plenty of people that will just go and walk it. There will also be plenty of people running it at your walking pace.

26 minutes ago, skywlker32 said:

100% don't worry about embarrassing yourself. There will be plenty of people that will just go and walk it. There will also be plenty of people running it at your walking pace.

Luckily it is anything but a "race". It is a charity event for a rescue, and most people will be running/walking with their dogs. And eating donuts. 

29 minutes ago, skywindO2 said:

This is really tempting, I've ran Purgatory and Staring countless times over the last few years. 

Do it! 

I registered and set up one of the fundraiser pages a few days ago, and 3 random people I don't know donated $175. Huge win. 

This isn’t entirely relevant but I think I might kinda qualify. At my job I walk 12-16 miles a day and I just burned through my second pair of shoes in like 8 months. Wondering if there are light comfortable running shoes I could look into that would help the load. I have wide feet but like constricting shoes 

On 6/3/2019 at 8:38 PM, Tyty said:

This isn’t entirely relevant but I think I might kinda qualify. At my job I walk 12-16 miles a day and I just burned through my second pair of shoes in like 8 months. Wondering if there are light comfortable running shoes I could look into that would help the load. I have wide feet but like constricting shoes 

I'm a fan of Saucony for wider feet personally as far as running shoes go.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, JaguarCrazy2832 said:

How many miles do you guys put into each pair of shoes? Its one of those things I used to remember when I was running in HS/College, I thought it was around 250-300 which is probably why I haven't changed them yet

I usually put in about 300 miles, but it depends on the feel. I can tell when they are getting bad.