Sean McVay vs Doug Pederson

Chargers

Who is the better head coach? Sean McVay or Doug Pederson   

80 members have voted

1. 1. Who is the better head coach? Sean McVay or Doug Pederson

5 hours ago, eagles18 said:

what about back to back play off appearances? Mcvay failed to make the playoffs last year. 

We had the same record as y'all did, except we played in the best division in the NFL, while y'all played in arguably the worst. So yeah, that's not a selling point.

• Like 3

6 hours ago, jrry32 said:

We had the same record as y'all did, except we played in the best division in the NFL, while y'all played in arguably the worst. So yeah, that's not a selling point.

More often than not, great coaches win the big games, and good coaches reach them. Until recently, Andy Reid was the exception, not the rule, but now even Big Red has his trophy. And McVay isn't Reid.

Frankly, the debate over whether Pederson or McVay is a better coach isn't much of a debate.

Does McVay have a better winning percentage? Yep, absolutely. But that's where his advantages begin and end.

Pederson holds the head-to-head advantage against McVay. He also holds the Super Bowl advantage against McVay, and against basically the exact same opponent in back-to-back years.

More recently, the Rams showed major regression in 2019, not just in the win column, but all over their offense. Jared Goff often looked lost and had his worst season since his rookie year, despite retaining all of his major pass-catchers and playmakers from the past two seasons. Moving backwards is never a good sign.

https://www.nbcsports.com/philadelphia/eagles/nfl-sean-mcvay-doug-pederson-debate-head-coach-rankings-2020

the entire quoted text is on point, but two sentences i bolded from that excerpt is what 99% of football fans and experts agree with in 2019. Say all you want about Doug, but his teams never regressed due to coaching or play calling/designs. McVay has never been the same since the Bears exposed their offense in 2018. The rest of the NFL caught on and McVay never adjusted despite paying top dollar to several star players. 

4 hours ago, eagles18 said:

https://www.nbcsports.com/philadelphia/eagles/nfl-sean-mcvay-doug-pederson-debate-head-coach-rankings-2020

the entire quoted text is on point, but two sentences i bolded from that excerpt is what 99% of football fans and experts agree with in 2019. Say all you want about Doug, but his teams never regressed due to coaching or play calling/designs. McVay has never been the same since the Bears exposed their offense in 2018. The rest of the NFL caught on and McVay never adjusted despite paying top dollar to several star players. 

Our offense was statically better than yours in 2018 and 2019. I'm just going to chuckle at you throwing stones in your glass house.

EDIT: Gotta laugh at the irony of you posting an article that shows McVay higher on the coach rankings list. That PHILLY writer is welcome to argue the list is wrong, but I'm not required to lend credence to his biased opinion.

Edited by jrry32

12 hours ago, Hunter2_1 said:

Don't know how we can tell for sure. I dunno exactly what Sean is responsible for in LA or what Doug is responsible for in PHI. Can't tell who's the better coordinator, can't tell what the players think of them respectively. Can sort of tell that Sean has instilled a great culture, but can sort of tell Doug know how to get the best out of players. Voted Doug because of the SB...but d'nah!

Very fair point 

• Like 1

On 02/07/2020 at 10:20 AM, DerbyRam said:

All I heard last year was: Goff is trash. The Rams OL is the worst or second worst in the NFL. Gurley is finished.

McVay's still managed to put points on the board at a very good rate and we were one missed FG from going to play-offs above the Seahawks in undoubtedly the toughest division in the NFL. I struggle to see how we can be so bad and that still be our record. 

That's one thing that continues to surprise me - everyone acts like the Rams were a DISASTER and they were, at worst, an average team - probably slightly above average. Sure, the NFL caught on the McVay's schtick from 17-18 but he figured out how to deploy his talent in new ways near the tail end of the season and they looked VERY good down the stretch. I think Goff under 28 or so other coaches probably looks like a disaster; McVay is one of a handful who would be able to help him max out his potential. 

I just don't see how this is even a debate. One guy is 2-0 against the other and has a SB against a common opponent where his offense scored in bunches, and the other coach, managed 3 points. This is literally all that needs to be said. What more direct evidence is there to judge off of? I don't see any.

• Like 3

10 hours ago, EagleBlueDon said:

I just don't see how this is even a debate. One guy is 2-0 against the other and has a SB against a common opponent where his offense scored in bunches, and the other coach, managed 3 points. This is literally all that needs to be said. What more direct evidence is there to judge off of? I don't see any.

Before last season would you have mike McCarthy or Andy Reid

• Like 2

Given the absurd amount of catastrophic injuries to Key Starters on both sides of the ball the past 3 years Pederson has had to deal with and overcome which includes the SB win is actually impressive. I honestly can't understand how it's even a debate?

One coach got his team to overcome insurmountable odds to somehow win the biggest of all games, the other folded like a lawn chair while looking like a deer in headlights on that very same stage. Next question. 🍺

14 hours ago, EagleBlueDon said:

I don't either. One coach's entire resume is based on a season that might well have been a fluke. Let me know when Doug proves that 2017 wasn't the exception.

14 minutes ago, Nabbs4u said:

Given the absurd amount of catastrophic injuries to Key Starters on both sides of the ball the past 3 years Pederson has had to deal with and overcome which includes the SB win is actually impressive. I honestly can't understand how it's even a debate?

One coach got his team to overcome insurmountable odds to somehow win the biggest of all games, the other folded like a lawn chair while looking like a deer in headlights on that very same stage. Next question. 🍺

His team's consistent inability to stay healthy is not a virtue. It speaks to his failings as the CEO. With Doug, it always comes back to 2017. Because that's his resume. 

Edited by jrry32
  • Like 1

18 minutes ago, jrry32 said:

I don't either. One coach's entire resume is based on a season that might well have been a fluke. Let me know when Doug proves that 2017 wasn't the exception.

You've said this already. Now apply it to McVay and let me know when the 2018 Rams arent the Fluke. 

Edited by Nabbs4u

18 minutes ago, jrry32 said:

With Doug, it always comes back to 2017. Because that's his resume. 

Actually his resume is quite impressive. 4 years, 3 Playoffs appearance and a SB in his 2nd year. Curious how many can actually make that claim their first 4 seasons? I know it's not Sean.

8 hours ago, jrry32 said:

His team's consistent inability to stay healthy is not a virtue. It speaks to his failings as the CEO. With Doug, it always comes back to 2017. Because that's his resume. 

In a debate against a guy like Sean McVay, that's really all the ammunition Doug needs. Both of their resumes are short, so there isn't a whole lot to judge yet. So short, that the H2H record and SB tally/performance are really the only major milestones that carry significant weight for me. Doug also has a better postseason resume: 4-2 vs 2-2. Idk how injured the Rams have been, but I do know that the Eagles have had to deal with a freakish amount of injuries over Doug's tenure. That evens out the "low competition" argument for me.

• Like 1