What should be the new name of the Washington NFL team?

scar988

1 hour ago, BleedTheClock said:

Washington Savages. Keep the mascot the same.

Washington Indians.

I'm so annoyed that a bunch of PC idiots are forcing a team to change its name. Dumb.

Pretty racist, man. 

The current name is an old time slur, and the logo is a stereotyped charicature of an oppressed people who were victims of a genocide.

I would say the “idiots” are the ones who get upset about people not wanting outdated racism as normal in pop culture giants like the NFL.

doubling down and wanting the same logo but calling them savages is just totally off base and as an indigenous person I find it pretty damn offensive, and it seems like a concentrated effort to be hurtful and racist on your part. 

Edit* I see you derailed the other thread with even worse inappropriate and hateful language. Can we please give this guy a ban?

The response I want to give vs the one I am giving is much further down the line of calling a spade a spade. There’s not grasping the issue, then there’s this.

Edited by ThatJaxxenGuy
  • Like 15

45 minutes ago, MikeT14 said:

This probably wouldn't fly. Similar issues to the current name tbh. 

He knows what he is doing. He is purposely being a donkey. 

31 minutes ago, August4th said:

last time a team changed its name without it being part of moving to a new city? I know the steelers used to be known as the Pirates for a few yrs all the way back in the 30s. A few NBA teams have done it recently. Bullets to Wizards, Bobcats to Hornets and Hornets to Pelicans.

Oilers to Titans. They were originally the Tennessee Oilers. Thats why we all know him as Tennessee Oiler legend Earl Campbell. Right @ET80? (ps, you are requested in discord)

• Like 4

The best suggestions I’ve seen here are WarriorsRed Tails or Redtails; and Americans.

I’m sure the NFL could persuade the NBA to not make a fuss over having another major sports team use the name “Warriors.” If they did go with “Warriors,” keep the uniforms the same and have a “W” on the helmet instead of the head.

There are a few suitable options available that don’t sound completely stupid, but Dan Snyder seems to have his heels dug in pretty good on this. He probably thinks rebranding the Redskins would upset diehard ‘Skins fans. On that note, I think that almost all the Redskins fans would get over the name change if the team started winning on a consistent basis. Winning solves a lot of problems.

37 minutes ago, GordyTheGoffer said:

Is Washington Natives or Washington tribe really any better than Washington Redskins? Some people would still find it offesnive?

My fiance is apart of the Puyallup tribe and we've had lengthy conversations around this topic. She and her family have zero issue with either of those names. Neither are inherently derogatory toward the indigenous demographic. 

I realize she and her family don't speak for the group at large, but it's a window into that perspective and I think people would have to be hyper-sensitive to take offense to either of those names. 

EDIT: To answer your question, Natives or Tribe would be a LOT better than Redskins. 

Edited by SaveOurSonics
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, SaveOurSonics said:

My fiance is apart of the Puyallup tribe and we've had lengthy conversations around this topic. She and her family have zero issue with either of those names. Neither are inherently derogatory toward the indigenous demographic. 

I realize she and her family don't speak for the group at large, but it's a window into that perspective and I think people would have to be hyper-sensitive to take offense to either of those names. 

EDIT: To answer your question, Natives or Tribe would be a LOT better than Redskins, while still being able to maintain the current logo/design. 

I think the safest bet would just be a complete re brand.  

Victims of genocide don’t make great entertainment mascots even if some people are okay with it there will always be justified push back. It’s safer to use something fun like an animal or a cool/proud profession, object etc. 

Edited by ThatJaxxenGuy
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, SaveOurSonics said:

EDIT: To answer your question, Natives or Tribe would be a LOT better than Redskins, while still being able to maintain the current logo/design. 

Fair enough. With respect to you and your fiance (and I mean that), for me personally the name of a football team is likewise not offensive. So we all see things diff.

5 minutes ago, ThatJaxxenGuy said:

Victims of genocide don’t make great entertainment mascots. Use something fun like an animal or a cool profession.

So I imagine we should be asking for widespread changes to the Cleveland Indians (yes, actually), Atlanta Braves, Chicago Blackhawks, Kansas City Chiefs, etc.? 

I don't want to step on toes, because you've noted you yourself are a member of this demographic, but I don't see it as a scenario where we have to paint with only white or black strokes. I think related names are fine as long as they are not inherently derogatory. 

But hey, maybe I'm out of bounds here. 

EDIT: I meant to add, logistically it's going to be an uphill battle to ask for a complete rebranding. 

Edited by SaveOurSonics
  • Like 2

12 minutes ago, SaveOurSonics said:

So I imagine we should be asking for widespread changes to the Cleveland Indians (yes, actually), Atlanta Braves, Chicago Blackhawks, Kansas City Chiefs, etc.? 

I don't want to step on toes, because you've noted you yourself are a member of this demographic, but I don't see it as a scenario where we have to paint with only white or black strokes. I think related names are fine as long as they are not inherently derogatory. 

But hey, maybe I'm out of bounds here. 

EDIT: I meant to add, logistically it's going to be an uphill battle to ask for a complete rebranding. 

I personally don’t feel great about any of those either, but I won’t speak for a whole population. Indians is certainly a bad one, at least braves and blackhawks have positive connotations but they’re still not something I see as great.

honestly it’s the attitudes associated that I find the most problematic. I’m not a fan of any of those teams but to throw a fit when they discuss changing is pretty unfair when we analyze the reasoning.

and yeah I understand the logistics are insane. Sadly, If you want a clean solution to racism you need a time machine.

and I don’t feel you’re out of bounds. Humbly engaging with our own preconceived notions is how we tackle these things together.

Edited by ThatJaxxenGuy
  • Like 5

3 minutes ago, GordyTheGoffer said:

Fair enough. With respect to you and your fiance (and I mean that), for me personally the name of a football team is likewise not offensive. So we all see things diff.

I understand that perspective of downplaying it because "it's just a football team name", but at the end of the day it's still a racial slur and should have no place in sport. That's where I draw the line with most rhetoric. Is the connotation of the word positive or negative? For things like Chiefs and Tribe, it's positive. For things like Redskins and Indians, it's negative. 

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, ///mcompact said:

Meh, if you’re going to change the name, might as well move the team. Do what the Oilers did.  

I disagree, there's no need for a name change to be punitive or take the sport from the fans in Washington. That will likely just further the divide and strengthen hard feelings. It should be a positive thing and a collaborative effort. 

There is a lot that can be done with the washington D.C region. Why not Senators or Capitals (hockey I know). Or the Atlantics. Or the Constituents (okay, lol), or federals. and on and on and on with interesting names.

Edited by ThatJaxxenGuy

28 minutes ago, ThatJaxxenGuy said:

Victims of genocide don’t make great entertainment mascots even if some people are okay with it there will always be justified push back. It’s safer to use something fun like an animal or a cool/proud profession, object etc. 

It could be looked at as a tribute to Native Americans.

20 minutes ago, ThatJaxxenGuy said:

I personally don’t feel great about any of those either, but I won’t speak for a whole population. Indians is certainly a bad one, at least braves and blackhawks have positive connotations but they’re still not something I see as great.

honestly it’s the attitudes associated that I find the most problematic. I’m not a fan of any of those teams but to throw a fit when they discuss changing is pretty unfair when we analyze the reasoning.

and yeah I understand the logistics are insane. Sadly, If you want a clean solution to racism you need a time machine.

and I don’t feel you’re out of bounds. Humbly engaging with our own preconceived notions is how we tackle these things together.

Saying the name of a group of people is not racist in and of itself. No more than "Steelers" or "Packers" makes fun of those jobs. Or Vikings and that group of people. "Patriots" refers to a group of (almost exclusively) white people who rebelled against the UK. 

Yes, I get that genocide obviously skews that greatly. But I think my point still stands. Those teams believe they are paying tribute to the OG American Natives; not mocking them (in their minds).