2018 Draft Eligible LB Thread.

Tugboat

On 9/30/2017 at 12:32 PM, devils1854 said:

Roquan Smith will be the first non-rush LB selected next April

Probably, but it really depends on where most people are projecting Mata'afa because as the process progresses, I can definitely see teams viewing him as a Haason Reddick type that can play inside and out and that making him a substantial late-riser.

On 11/3/2017 at 6:54 AM, Jlash said:

I think he's going to do just fine. I think he's a 4-3 MLB in the NFL. His instincts are great, and he's a better athlete than people give him credit for. I'm interested to see what he actually weighs because he looks slight to me sometimes.

I think he can play in the middle in just about any scheme - his instincts make up for any size concerns for me.  I agree there are some times when he's looked slighter, but if I recall, several of us had similar early concerns about Kuechly (though that may have been because we were reaching to try and find any kind of criticism of Kuechly).  I see his floor as a Jerod Mayo clone.

• 3 weeks later...

Can Skai Moore add 10 pounds and keep his athleticism? Kid is a playmaker, but light even for a WLB.

I absolutely think he can. Playmakers, even playmakers without true positions, tend to get drafted. That's Skai. I love him as a middle round, high upside weapon. A 'Joker' type that can guard TE's in man, blitz off the edge and generally be a nuisance.

4 minutes ago, BroncosFan2010 said:

I absolutely think he can. Playmakers, even playmakers without true positions, tend to get drafted. That's Skai. I love him as a middle round, high upside weapon. A 'Joker' type that can guard TE's in man, blitz off the edge and generally be a nuisance.

He can contribute right away as a nickel backer and be very effective in the right scheme

44 minutes ago, MOSteelers56 said:

Do you think he could develop into a Ryan Shazier replacement? We would have a big BUCK Vince Williams next to him to keep him clean.

Not immediately I don't think, too light, he's a lot better against the pass than he is against the run, plus I really don't see I'm in the inside like that, he looks like a Will to me. If I were you guys, I would be praying for a guy like Rashaan Evans or even Malik Jefferson to be there which could very well happen

44 minutes ago, MSURacerDT55 said:

Not immediately I don't think, too light, he's a lot better against the pass than he is against the run, plus I really don't see I'm in the inside like that, he looks like a Will to me. If I were you guys, I would be praying for a guy like Rashaan Evans or even Malik Jefferson to be there which could very well happen

Hows Evans compare to the past Bama ILBs? 

18 minutes ago, MOSteelers56 said:

Hows Evans compare to the past Bama ILBs? 

Bro...., I listed him as one of my 3 favorite players in this draft. Rangy, tough, plays well with his hands, instinctive, and is discipline and hits like a ton of bricks and has added value as a rusher.

IDK about this. Skai reminds me a whole lot of Wesley Woodyard, who at the Combine measured at 6'01 and 219lbs and is now playing as the cover back in Tennessee's 34 defense.

I think Skai can be a similar type. Immediate use as a subpackage cover LB while he bulks, then once he hits that 230-235lb range, and gains more acclimation to the NFL game, he can step in as a 3-4 ILB starter in 2 or so years.

Huge man crush on this kid as a prospect. Love him as a 34 cover ILB who can blitz like a madman too. Probably going to be scheme dependent but most 34 teams don't look for thumpers anymore, and I would take cover skills over shedding blocks any day in this passing league.

Archived