2018 Draft Eligible LB Thread.

Tugboat

4 hours ago, CalhounLambeau said:

I don't expect anyone here to have researched San Jose State LB Frank Ginda but he has declared and will be someone to keep an eye on. 

I actually have. Had a buddy play for that program. He is around the ball it seems like every single play. 

On 12/23/2017 at 9:24 AM, CalhounLambeau said:

I don't expect anyone here to have researched San Jose State LB Frank Ginda but he has declared and will be someone to keep an eye on. 

Any idea how he is dropping into coverage? I know he's a beast vs the run.

• 3 weeks later...
17 hours ago, RaidersAreOne said:

Lot's of people are mocking Smith to the Raiders frequently due to our need at LBer.

A lot of niner fans have our eyes on Smith as well, and you are the one team we mention most frequently as being a competitor for him that early if he is someone Lynch and Shanny are interested in. I still think that you guys could go with Payne - from what I understand, your defensive line could use a major boost on the interior as it sounds like Ward has been a bust.  I suppose it also depends on what happens with Bowman - if you guys don't resign him, that linebacker corps is all the worse and I would have to imagine it as a priority. 

25 minutes ago, MOSteelers56 said:

What's the deal with Tremaine Edmunds? Is he an ILB or OLB? 

Edmunds could realistically do either. Andrew Motuapuaka was the inside backer for the Hokies while Edmunds stayed outside but he has shown the ability to literally do everything. And, he is only 19 years old.

1 hour ago, Forge said:

A lot of niner fans have our eyes on Smith as well, and you are the one team we mention most frequently as being a competitor for him that early if he is someone Lynch and Shanny are interested in. I still think that you guys could go with Payne - from what I understand, your defensive line could use a major boost on the interior as it sounds like Ward has been a bust.  I suppose it also depends on what happens with Bowman - if you guys don't resign him, that linebacker corps is all the worse and I would have to imagine it as a priority. 

We need more talent at most positions on Defense tbh. I could see Fitzpatrick being the pick if he falls, especially since we just hired Alabama's CB coach. Payne, Smith, Vea, James... all would be reasonable picks. Bowman was an awesome pick-up for us and should be re-signed IMO. UDFA Morrow looked promising and Irvin came on late. However with a new DC in town and him running a more traditional 4-3 from the sounds of it, I don't know how Irvin will fit in. Can he transition to a DE full-time? Regardless, Smith would definitely be an upgrade for us and add some much needed speed.

On 11/4/2017 at 12:02 PM, CalhounLambeau said:

Since Twitter has character restrictions I should probably elaborate because there is clearly some confusion here. Rashaan Evans is a great teammate who will do anything to support his teammates and put his body in warms way. Based on all the tape I watch the way in which he supports his teammates is not common. I used the term "help tackler" and I don't believe they are the worst. There are usually three linebackers on a field at the same time . Due to direction, scheme, gap responsibility they all take turns being first to the ball, some more than others due to reactionary quickness, athleticism, and film study. There are tons of players in CFB and NFL that ease up when they think the play is over. They may jog to the play. They may run to the pile and watch from a safe distance or maybe help push a player down. Evans is a crusher. I'm always going to point out players like Evans because even though everyone should play that way we know they don't. Players like Evans make good defenses great and help create turnovers. 

I knew what you meant by that.  It's hard not be be a "help tackler" when you play for Bama.  They got other guys who can get there too.

Archived