2018 Draft Eligible LB Thread.

Tugboat

35 minutes ago, BleedTheClock said:

His tape is pretty bad. If you watch a highlight film he looks like a top 10 pick. But his lowlights are pretty bad and come more frequently than the highlights.

I think he'd be pretty good in a blitz-heavy scheme where he wouldn't be asked to play like a traditional linebacker. I think he's going to have to play SLB and play against TE's primarily. He can't make guard reads for some reason.

This is probably the fairest assessment in a negative light I’ve seen on him, however keep in mind he just turned 21 in November. Lot of football and growth left in him yet and if he hits his upside the payoff could be enormous. 

56 minutes ago, BleedTheClock said:

His tape is pretty bad. If you watch a highlight film he looks like a top 10 pick. But his lowlights are pretty bad and come more frequently than the highlights.

I think he'd be pretty good in a blitz-heavy scheme where he wouldn't be asked to play like a traditional linebacker. I think he's going to have to play SLB and play against TE's primarily. He can't make guard reads for some reason.

I must agree.  i am not a fan.  I would compare him to the Steeler's Vince Williams.  Slow to diagnose plays.  Limited side-to-side movement.  More of a Buck in a 3-4 than a Mack in the 4-3

9 minutes ago, jebrick said:

I must agree.  i am not a fan.  I would compare him to the Steeler's Vince Williams.  Slow to diagnose plays.  Limited side-to-side movement.  More of a Buck in a 3-4 than a Mack in the 4-3

I'd consider him more of a Bart and less of a Mark. 

On 1/27/2018 at 11:23 AM, CWood21 said:

Beyond the hand thing, he's just too limited physically to take that early.

I'm not seeing it. He's an outstanding athlete.

On 1/26/2018 at 10:11 AM, IDOG_det said:

If I needed a LB I would definitely take him in the 2nd round. He's a fantastic player.

He's a Day 2 pick in my book as well. What separates him from a guy like Haason Reddick outside of his hand? His tape reminds me of Lavonte David's. I'd be all over that kid if I ran a NFL team. He runs like the wind, is always in the right spot, plays with a non-stop motor, and flies to the football. It's easy to tell that he's a film junkie.

If he does what I think he'll do at the Combine, I expect him to go in the 3rdish round.

Anyone with a take on Olasunkanmi Adeniyi OLB Toledo?  I like him.  Could slip because he is in the MAC.   He plays ANGRY. Same size, and build of James Harrison. Excellent first step, spends a lot of time in the backfield. Dominant against Akron in the MAC championship, 2 sacks, 3 TFL, a FF and he was ejected in the late 3rd for targeting.

58 minutes ago, jebrick said:

Anyone with a take on Olasunkanmi Adeniyi OLB Toledo?  I like him.  Could slip because he is in the MAC.   He plays ANGRY. Same size, and build of James Harrison. Excellent first step, spends a lot of time in the backfield. Dominant against Akron in the MAC championship, 2 sacks, 3 TFL, a FF and he was ejected in the late 3rd for targeting.

Tape this year wasn't as good as last year, not 100% sure why though. A good combine/pro day will help him a lot in the opinion of media/fans but teams will have the chance to work him out and see if there was any reason why the tape wasn't as good this year. I like his potential, he's underrated right now. I could see him being a good value in the 5th round. 

3 hours ago, jrry32 said:

I'm not seeing it. He's an outstanding athlete.

He's a Day 2 pick in my book as well. What separates him from a guy like Haason Reddick outside of his hand? His tape reminds me of Lavonte David's. I'd be all over that kid if I ran a NFL team. He runs like the wind, is always in the right spot, plays with a non-stop motor, and flies to the football. It's easy to tell that he's a film junkie.

If he does what I think he'll do at the Combine, I expect him to go in the 3rdish round.

Exactly. If he had two hands he'd be mentioned on a similar level to Roquan Smith and would be mentioned over Tremaine Edmunds.

On 2/6/2018 at 9:31 PM, IDOG_det said:

Exactly. If he had two hands he'd be mentioned on a similar level to Roquan Smith and would be mentioned over Tremaine Edmunds.

Yea, I truly don't get it. I've seen a few plays where his lack of a hand hinders him. It's a limitation for sure. But the plays where it matters are usually plays where only a handful of other LBs in the world could even be in position to make the play. Griffin's unique combination of insane burst/speed (I'll be shocked if he doesn't run in the 4.4s or 4.5s) and elite instincts allow him to be in places he shouldn't be. And despite his stature, the guy plays through blocks. I love his film. I just don't understand how people rated him as a late day 3 pick or a UDFA. At minimum, he's going to be a special teams demon. But I think he's going to make a hell of a LB.

On 2/6/2018 at 10:31 PM, IDOG_det said:

That's a hyperbole if I've ever seen one.  Regardless, we're not discussing what ifs.  He's a good player, but he's not going to be as good in the NFL as he was in college.

Not having a hand aside, Shaq Griffin has one of the clunkiest frames I've ever seen. He looks skinny fat. He's super productive, but I was thinking 5th-7th round BEFORE I even realized he was missing a hand. I watched 2 full games of UCF somehow never knowing he was the 1-handed man. Didn't find this out until Senior Bowl week.

He's nowhere near the athlete that Smith or Edmunds is. I think he runs a high 4.7 where the other two will be in the 4.5-4.6 range. Plus their 3 cones will be significantly better than his.

Shaq Griffin is a great story, but I don't think I would draft him to be honest. He's not athletic enough to play 4-3 OLB but he's not long or strong enough to play DE. Maybe a situational 3-4 OLB? But even then, he doesn't have great length or pure speed coming off the edge. I can't see a spot for him in the NFL regardless of whether or not he has 1 hand, 2 hands, 3 hands, a stock of celery for a hand and Patrick Duffy for a foot....whatever it is, when I watch the tape, I don't see an explosive enough dude.

48 minutes ago, BleedTheClock said:

He's nowhere near the athlete that Smith or Edmunds is. I think he runs a high 4.7 where the other two will be in the 4.5-4.6 range. Plus their 3 cones will be significantly better than his.

Triple jump and long jump champion in Florida coming out so I wouldn't be surprised he tests well in explosive categories.

On 2/11/2018 at 3:52 PM, MOSteelers56 said:

Has there been a breakdown of Darius Leonard in here? Is he going in the 1st?

Too early on that in my opinion. I think right now he's probably in that late second - mid third round grouping for me. He blows up the combine, could see it rise even more. 

Archived