WASHINGTON REDSKINS - OFFICIAL NAME CHANGE THREAD

Thaiphoon

1 hour ago, MKnight82 said:

Richmond is too small for a professional sports team. 

While true, the New Port News area would be Richmond fans as would southern Virginia & southwest Virginia like Charlottesville, Blacksburg & below. Right now a majority of those fans are Washington fans.

Edited by turtle28

On 2/12/2022 at 11:14 AM, aceinthehouse said:

The reason a franchise team name is so important is because it's so long lasting, if not permanent.

You can get over hiring Bruce Allen as your GM. You can get over hiring Steve Spurrier as your Head Coach. You can get over signing Albert Haynesworth for a 100M.

You can even get over having a terrible owner like Dan Snyder.

But once you choose that team name, it's permanent.

Sure, you can relocate to Virginia, or Baltimore or Maryland & change the prefix of your name.

But the Commanders is here to stay.

I've never been temporarily banned from this site, until recently involving the name change.

There's a reason for that. It's that important! I apologize for letting my emotions get the better of me.

It's the one thing you GOT to get right. Period!

Are there worse names than Commanders? Absolutely.

But if you're gonna spend 2 years to get it right?

At least involve Riggins & formers players to help with that cause.

Sit them down & have a serious discussion on what that name should be.

Filter out the bad ones & create an actual serious list of what decide from there.

You can't tell me, Admirals, Brigade, etc. was an actual list of serious contenders.

I don't mind keeping it simple. But it's also good to get creative with a name as well.

This was a lazy effort plain & simple.

And I agree with Riggins on what he said.

The fact that Theismann & other former players are parading around with Commander Jerseys like its some great invention is ridiculous.

They do not & should not support this travesty because that's what it is. Them attending their own funeral.

Snyder probably picked this name to save his butt, from sexual assault indictment charges.

And who is Jason Wright or whatever his name is, to pick this name.

The fans had Redwolves as their #1 choice I believe.

Why poll the fans, if you're gonna let some dude with zero affiliation with the Redskins history make the choice?

As I said earlier in my post. I can get over bad hires & bad decision making. That happens...

But I can't & will never get over this. I'm so pissed!

I'm concerned my fandom has flip-flopped.

I've gone from the biggest Redskins fan I know, to wanting to see this franchise fold  & be defunct like the Pottsville Maroons.

I can't be a fan of another team.

But I do know what I plan on doing now...

I'm gonna wait...

I'm gonna wait for the next *new* Franchise to come into existence & move my fandom there. Kinda like a rebirth if you will.

I don't care if that team is in Canada or England, etc.

I'll wait for the new NFL expansion team. Whenever that will be.

I love football too much to not watch, or quit it.

Hopefully, a new expansion team gets added soon.

But I sure as hell am not gonna be a fan of the Commies. Ridiculous....

Ha! I self-banned myself for the past 5 days because I was going to go off at the next poster that used the cliche "winning will solve everything and you will come running back!"

No, I won't. Sad that so many think that way and then project it on to others. have some damn self-respect for crying out loud.

I would have had more tolerance and acceptance if clown show Jason had just said "This is too important to leave up to the fans or even consider what they want! We got fancy lawyer and woke consulting firms to handle this, so pipe down loser fans!" instead of the lie and charade he perpetrated.

Anyway, glad you came back! I was beginning to wonder if I would. I am just a passive observer of the team for now, but even that is up in the air tbh.

Lots of better things to do on Sundays than support Snyder and Jason.

4 hours ago, MacDog said:

Ha! I self-banned myself for the past 5 days because I was going to go off at the next poster that used the cliche "winning will solve everything and you will come running back!"

No, I won't. Sad that so many think that way and then project it on to others. have some damn self-respect for crying out loud.

I would have had more tolerance and acceptance if clown show Jason had just said "This is too important to leave up to the fans or even consider what they want! We got fancy lawyer and woke consulting firms to handle this, so pipe down loser fans!" instead of the lie and charade he perpetrated.

Anyway, glad you came back! I was beginning to wonder if I would. I am just a passive observer of the team for now, but even that is up in the air tbh.

Lots of better things to do on Sundays than support Snyder and Jason.

I agree though. If the team wins, fans will come back. We see it time and time again. So if you wanna go off, good luck, but there’s plenty of truth to it

• Like 2

57 minutes ago, Slappy Mc said:

Did anyone else feel sick to their stomachs when they saw that the forum changed the name? Not complaining about it, but my stomach sank and it felt more real now that Webby made the change. 

Definitely weird because of how long it is 

8 hours ago, Slappy Mc said:

Did anyone else feel sick to their stomachs when they saw that the forum changed the name? Not complaining about it, but my stomach sank and it felt more real now that Webby made the change. 

Twitch Reaction GIF by Hyper RPG

I was more shocked it changed being theres no woke agendas tied to it.

10 hours ago, Slappy Mc said:

Twitch Reaction GIF by Hyper RPG

Yeah, sorry that was me who reminded Webby about the name change. And even though after reminding him, I still felt the same way you did when I saw it. 

I told him that pretty much none of us liked the name though.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Thaiphoon said:

Yeah, sorry that was me who reminded Webby about the name change. And even though after reminding him, I still felt the same way you did when I saw it. 

I told him that pretty much none of us liked the name though.

It was jarring lol. Not gonna lie

• Like 1

On 2/14/2022 at 4:40 AM, MikeT14 said:

I agree though. If the team wins, fans will come back. We see it time and time again. So if you wanna go off, good luck, but there’s plenty of truth to it

And because you would take your GF back after she slept with 20 other guys behind your back, if she looked good enough, that means everyone would.

Yeah, you will get bandwagon jumpers, and who knows how long they will stick around, but the hardcore fans that are done - they won't be back with open wallets.

1 hour ago, MacDog said:

And because you would take your GF back after she slept with 20 other guys behind your back, if she looked good enough, that means everyone would.

Yeah, you will get bandwagon jumpers, and who knows how long they will stick around, but the hardcore fans that are done - they won't be back with open wallets.

I disagree still but there’s only one way to find out. This team has to consistently win. And the only thing we’ve been consistent about is NOT winning constantly 

• Like 2

22 hours ago, MikeT14 said:

I disagree still but there’s only one way to find out. This team has to consistently win. And the only thing we’ve been consistent about is NOT winning constantly 

The avg age of an NFL viewer is now 50.  And because of the past 20 years, Id say what there is of this fanbase would be on the high side of that. To be proven as a "consistent winner" would take years. With all the damage done, just dont see an older fanbase being won over like that. Cause the team once meant more to them than a simple W or L.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, PARROTHEAD said:

The avg age of an NFL viewer is now 50.  And because of the past 20 years, Id say what there is of this fanbase would be on the high side of that. To be proven as a "consistent winner" would take years. With all the damage done, just dont see an older fanbase being won over like that. Cause the team once meant more to them than a simple W or L.

Yep, I agree. I think the poor rebranding, which the team could not afford to be poor, just gave those fans the extra nudge they needed to move on. 

• Like 1