WASHINGTON REDSKINS - OFFICIAL NAME CHANGE THREAD

Thaiphoon

1 hour ago, naptownskinsfan said:

So no one told them about the Super Bowl numbers being wrong? Or this Danya designed them, they just let it be? 

A lot of people have been hounding Jason about it. I forgot specifically which radio network but they told him he was flat out wrong and he deflected. I think it's going to get changed. 

25 minutes ago, MikeT14 said:

A lot of people have been hounding Jason about it. I forgot specifically which radio network but they told him he was flat out wrong and he deflected. I think it's going to get changed. 

Sheehan. 

even college football follows the same number system. My yard flag says 2021 National Champs on it. The super bowl banners hanging in the club level say the season year and not the game year 

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, naptownskinsfan said:

Sheehan. 

even college football follows the same number system. My yard flag says 2021 National Champs on it. The super bowl banners hanging in the club level say the season year and not the game year 

Are you sure? 

I mean, don’t we all remember the dominant defenses of the 86 Bears and the 2001 Ravens? The high-flying act that came up just short of perfection, the 2008 Patriots? And obviously who could forget the greatest team of all time, the 92 Redskins?

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, naptownskinsfan said:

Jason is very accommodating. 

Listen, friend, while you’re at it, the “fans would prefer” to also have a new name, new logo, new uniform design, and new front office makeup. If you could get on that for “the next time.”

• Like 2

The one thing I’ve definitely noticed is that their biggest mistake was not going for a name that had some positive feedback. 

I assume that Commanders probably polled fairly neutral, in the sense that few people thought it was the worst thing they ever heard. No one really liked it, I’m sure, but based on what they’ve said, I suspect they chalked a lot of that up to general displeasure about changing the name in the first place. 

The problem for them is, all those factors — specifically the anger about having to change the name and the typical inertia/resistance to change that is part of the human mindset — meant that a lot of people were going to react negatively to any name. No matter what they called the team, there was going to be a portion of the fanbase and the sports world at large that was going to hate/mock/resent the new name. I think that was unavoidable.

But where they miscalculated, I think, is in not heavily prioritizing names that at least some people actually LIKED. Because what’s happening with this name is that there’s absolutely no one out there sticking up for it, advocating for it, extolling the merits of the name. The best they’re getting is lukewarm indifference, and that is never going to drown out the chorus of critics. There’s no positive movement in support of pretty much any part of the rebranding, except that some of the younger cohort seem to like the uniforms (presumably the black alternate in particular).

Had they named the team Redwolves (or Redtails or Red Hogs or anything that had some actual positive support), I think the dynamic would be different. Because while there would be still be plenty of haters and naysayers, there would also be a competing portion of the voices out there saying that it’s great, that it’s a name to be proud of or excited about. And that would really change the tone, I think. Because right now, aside from people that they’re currently paying (or who hope to be paid by them again), there’s pretty much no one actively and vocally supporting this name. They’re taking all the beating and getting none of the support or advocacy. 

I assume they figured much of the fanbase would step in and be defensive of the franchise based solely on loyalty and commitment. But they badly misjudged the antipathy and animosity of even the more loyal fans at this point. 

• Like 3

6 hours ago, e16bball said:

The one thing I’ve definitely noticed is that their biggest mistake was not going for a name that had some positive feedback. 

I assume that Commanders probably polled fairly neutral, in the sense that few people thought it was the worst thing they ever heard. No one really liked it, I’m sure, but based on what they’ve said, I suspect they chalked a lot of that up to general displeasure about changing the name in the first place. 

The problem for them is, all those factors — specifically the anger about having to change the name and the typical inertia/resistance to change that is part of the human mindset — meant that a lot of people were going to react negatively to any name. No matter what they called the team, there was going to be a portion of the fanbase and the sports world at large that was going to hate/mock/resent the new name. I think that was unavoidable.

But where they miscalculated, I think, is in not heavily prioritizing names that at least some people actually LIKED. Because what’s happening with this name is that there’s absolutely no one out there sticking up for it, advocating for it, extolling the merits of the name. The best they’re getting is lukewarm indifference, and that is never going to drown out the chorus of critics. There’s no positive movement in support of pretty much any part of the rebranding, except that some of the younger cohort seem to like the uniforms (presumably the black alternate in particular).

Had they named the team Redwolves (or Redtails or Red Hogs or anything that had some actual positive support), I think the dynamic would be different. Because while there would be still be plenty of haters and naysayers, there would also be a competing portion of the voices out there saying that it’s great, that it’s a name to be proud of or excited about. And that would really change the tone, I think. Because right now, aside from people that they’re currently paying (or who hope to be paid by them again), there’s pretty much no one actively and vocally supporting this name. They’re taking all the beating and getting none of the support or advocacy. 

I assume they figured much of the fanbase would step in and be defensive of the franchise based solely on loyalty and commitment. But they badly misjudged the antipathy and animosity of even the more loyal fans at this point. 

It was Danya’s vanity project, nothing more and nothing less.  It perfectly sums up his tenure as owner here.  

Quite simply, the only way the name survives now?

Is if they win.

And I'm not talking about 9-8 or 10-7 seasons. I'm talking about 13-4 or 14-3 seasons or better.

The name sucks so bad, that they can't lean on tradition, loyal fans, or their own history to survive.

They'll need nothing short of a Belicheat/Brady run to survive this battle of name suckage.

And to do that, they better get a QB. They also need to do this right out of the gate.

Otherwise, they'll lose the 40-50 fans that do show up for the games.