Official NHL Thread

roysmyboy31

On 5/20/2018 at 2:59 PM, TENINCH said:

Wild you are garbage. A f'ing hockey team from LAS VEGAS Nevada is going to make a final before you. They don't even have ice there!!

Fuuuuuuuuuuuuuddddddddddggge

We have ice here. You just buy it in bags

• Like 3

12 hours ago, tom cody said:

Vegas is quite the story for sure. Expansion teams made the final in the NHL before. Back in 1968 when the league expanded to 12 teams an expansion team made the final. That was only because they were in an expansion team only division. This run by Vegas is quite something.

yea that doesn't count though like you say one had to make it, correct me if i'm wrong but is this the first time an expansion team actually "made it" made it, as opposed to the situation u described?

also regarding the post about the expansion draft just above me lemme leave u with a lyric from dire straits

"some blame the management, and some the employees, everybody knows it's the industrial disease!"

from top to bottom, irrespective of if the draft was easy, or all of the other GMs of literally every other team collectively crapped all over themselves, there's so much more to it than just "easy draft". not only was their drafting vaguely helped by the rules, but that doesn't mean anything if you draft like you're the browns. their draft was superb and savvy, and gallant has managed to extract career years from so many players that were formerly thought to be scrubs... the rules of the draft aren't the reason for vegas' success. might be a contributing factor but there's so much more 

I believe @Shady Slim this is the first time this has happened in this situation. I think a team during the early days of the NHL did it as well but that was in a much smaller league and I believe it was in the 1st yr. of the NHL.

We'll find out Vegas' opponent tomorrow night as we have a Game 7 in the East, I have Tampa winning there. 

Here's an article about it in other sports:

https://www.nhl.com/goldenknights/news/expansion-teams-to-win-championships/c-283789126

Edited by tom cody
  • Like 1

12 hours ago, the lone star said:

The expansion draft was way too effective.

The scary part is...think of the draft picks they got from teams to boot, not to take different guys during the expansion draft. They had three first round picks this year. 

^Surprisingly, it was actually Coburn who initiated the fight instead of Wilson. Wow, color me shocked.

But yeah, the Caps are getting all the lucky bounces tonight. Looks like they might be SCF bound at this point. The Bolts have been outplaying them since the Ovie goal to start the 1st period, too. 

10 hours ago, KManX89 said:

^Surprisingly, it was actually Coburn who initiated the fight instead of Wilson. Wow, color me shocked.

But yeah, the Caps are getting all the lucky bounces tonight. Looks like they might be SCF bound at this point. The Bolts have been outplaying them since the Ovie goal to start the 1st period, too. 

Wilson already got that started. But yea, Coburn ripped of Kuzy's jersey. Had to respond somehow. And it wasn't like one ambushed the other.

On ‎5‎/‎22‎/‎2018 at 3:48 PM, flyers0909 said:
On ‎5‎/‎22‎/‎2018 at 2:15 AM, the lone star said:

The expansion draft was way too effective.

Columbus and Florida PAYING Vegas to take Karlsson, Smith, and Marchessault is what was too effective. 

Yea, George McPhee did a phenomenal job. Just look at the Vegas transactions leading up to and around the Draft, they treated it like the NBA and took on bad contracts all around for top picks and prospects. 

Reilly Smith from Florida for a 4th (contract dump) along with picking Marchessault
Karlsson, a first, and a future second from Columbus to take on Clarkson's contract
Tuch and Haula from Minnesota for not taking Dumba or Scandella
Theodore from Anaheim for not taking Vatanen or Manson
Future second from Pitt to take Fleury

That's literally their top two lines (sans Neal) and franchise goalie. Add some smart defensive picks and some very good role players from the rest of the league for their bottom 6 and you have a very good team. Don't get me wrong, EVERYTHING went right for Vegas from a player development and team building perspective as well.