NFL proposes $40 million dollar cap reduction in 2020.

MikeT14

30 minutes ago, dll2000 said:

You still have problem of 50 states with 50 different covid policies each of which are subject to change on a whim.

That is a non issue. When the story was floated in the media 2 months ago about the potential for the NFL to play 0 games in CA (niners cardinals schedule lines up so that everything could be played in AZ, rams/chargers have similar situations with seahwaks/raiders), CA realized how much tax revenue they would lose, and subsequently announced they would be able to make an exception for pro sports. These states need money (same thing happened in tesla in the bay area, tesla announced they would move headquarters when refused reopening, and then magically all of a sudden they were allowed to open)

Also, there are 32 teams that play in 27 states if my quick math is correct.  (3 in CA, 2 in NJ, 3 in FL)

39 minutes ago, dll2000 said:

All those TV deals for Sat. would have to be renegotiated on the fly.   Should be doable though.  Nice outside the box thinking.  

NFLN can do a bunch of them and make even more money than having CBS/FOX/NBC/ESPN take their cut

52 minutes ago, dll2000 said:

I don't think it is a done deal college football isn't going yet though.

not a 'done deal' but its not going to happen. too many obstacles and a lot of these schools governing bodies are educators and not greedy business people

would be pretty easy to have teams play on Sat that also play the following sat so that there are a limited amount of short weeks. no monday-saturday games either

1 minute ago, N4L said:

That is a non issue. When the story was floated in the media 2 months ago about the potential for the NFL to play 0 games in CA (niners cardinals schedule lines up so that everything could be played in AZ, rams/chargers have similar situations with seahwaks/raiders), CA realized how much tax revenue they would lose, and subsequently announced they would be able to make an exception for pro sports. These states need money (same thing happened in tesla in the bay area, tesla announced they would move headquarters when refused reopening, and then magically all of a sudden they were allowed to open)

Probably, but there is still a lack of certainty or predictiablity regarding policy.  Especially when flu season hits.   

1 minute ago, N4L said:

Also, there are 32 teams that play in 27 states if my quick math is correct.  (3 in CA, 2 in NJ, 3 in FL)

Obviously the point wasn't that there is a team in each state.  

1 minute ago, N4L said:

NFLN can do a bunch of them and make even more money than having CBS/FOX/NBC/ESPN take their cut

There may be contract language in other deals which says they can't do that.  And NFLN is not in most homes so it doesn't mean more money.  Perhaps if they did streaming deal that would be true.  

1 minute ago, N4L said:

not a 'done deal' but its not going to happen. too many obstacles and a lot of these schools governing bodies are educators and not greedy business people

LOL.  

1 minute ago, N4L said:

would be pretty easy to have teams play on Sat that also play the following sat so that there are a limited amount of short weeks. no monday-saturday games either

I don't think they care about a short week by one day.  They don't even care about Thursdays.

Bears played 3 games in like 13 days or whatever it was 2 years ago.  

12 minutes ago, swede700 said:

The Power 5 isn't going to cancel an entire season, because of the TV deals and the even greater impact that it would play on the non-revenue sports at their universities, which have already been hit hard.  

I don't think they actually care about the non-revenue sports.  But you are right they probably won't cancel season unless they have to.

Edited by dll2000

1 minute ago, Forge said:

tenor.gif

LOL yeah I typed that and was like 'well maybe I should change that a little bit' but I do think that while american universities are inherently greedy/bureaucratic, they do feel a need to provide a higher level of care for their constituents than the NFL does to their players. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, dll2000 said:

I don't think they actually care about the non-revenue sports.  But you are right they probably won't cancel season unless they have to.

The Presidents of the Universities may not, but the ADs do, because they have to borrow from the Universities general funds to support the non-revenue sports in the interim until football and basketball (and other revenue sports depending upon the school) can pay them back.  The ADs don't like to cut sports if they don't have to, because it hurts their perception.

Just now, swede700 said:

The Presidents of the Universities may not, but the ADs do, because they have to borrow from the Universities general funds to support the non-revenue sports in the interim until football and basketball (and other revenue sports depending upon the school) can pay them back.  The ADs don't like to cut sports if they don't have to, because it hurts their perception.

It doesn't really matter if they actually care or not.  Why would there be tennis, baseball and soccer if there is no football or basketball?

5 minutes ago, N4L said:

LOL yeah I typed that and was like 'well maybe I should change that a little bit' but I do think that while american universities are inherently greedy/bureaucratic, they do feel a need to provide a higher level of care for their constituents than the NFL does to their players. 

Well, they have strived hard to keep tuition and costs low or stable over the decades.

13 minutes ago, dll2000 said:

It doesn't really matter if they actually care or not.  Why would there be tennis, baseball and soccer if there is no football or basketball?

Because they promised scholarships to those players.

12 minutes ago, swede700 said:

Because they promised scholarships to those players.

so because the school will lose money on tuition they should also lose money by actually playing a sport? 

sorry I brought up college sports into this thread lol

3 hours ago, ramssuperbowl99 said:

This isn't true. Blake Snell said that, but the MLBPA signed off on pro-rated salaries in March as apart of the original agreement. They didn't take a paycut beyond that pro-rated salary.

While there may be some minor hurdles, NFL players would be smart to accept a pro-rated structure on everything if the season doesn't happen. Otherwise, navigating how to divide up a signing bonus versus a roster bonus versus a game check, both in salary cap and real cash flow dollars, is going to be a nightmare.

Yes, but they had signed off on a pro rated salary based on games played *if* there was a season. Owners wanted it based on games played "and then some" based on the fact these games would be played with no fans in the stands, and the usual "per game revenue" would be down. This entire time MLB held the right to cancel the season and players wouldn't be paid at all. That is the axe that the Owners held over the players for the entire negotiation

Players wanted 70/80/90 games filled with double headers so they would get more money based on "per game pay" but MLB and TV stations knew you don't get more revenue for a double header because most people only watch one of the games anyways, yet the owners would be paying the players for 2

If the season doesn't happen then it's easy. Nobody gets paid. That base is already covered. What needs to be clarified and negotiated is all the "what if's" if it goes ahead and is a complete and utter disaster for whatever reason

9 minutes ago, TheGame316 said:

If the season doesn't happen then it's easy. Nobody gets paid. That base is already covered. What needs to be clarified and negotiated is all the "what if's" if it goes ahead and is a complete and utter disaster for whatever reason

Yep its how you handle what happens if the season has to get cancelled part way through. Unlike the MLB, fans in or out of the stadiums doesn't change a whole lot since players get half that revenue either way. It's how they handle paying guys roster bonuses versus game checks and whatnot if the season gets to Week 3 and is cancelled.

Edited by ramssuperbowl99

7 hours ago, Edge said:

Right. Next year his hit is 24,8 million. 2022 31,8 million so even by then he's not the highest paid QB.

Check this projection: https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/cap/2021/

There would be a lot more franchises in a tougher situation than we are. The Eagles, Saints and Falcons would be in cap hell. All, but 11 teams would have a negative Cap Space.

Funny thing is that this makes the Washington Front Office look smart for not wildly overpaying for players this Free Agency.