Antonio Brown announces retirement for the second time

AFlaccoSeagulls

On 7/23/2020 at 9:50 AM, OkeyDoke21 said:

I think he still goes in.  He has a really comparable resume to Calvin, who most have going in.  If you have Calvin going in, you almost have to have AB in.  

i hope NFL gives him the cold shoulder for life....F Antonio Brown...NEVER EVER put Calvin and AB in the same sentence PLEASEEEE. Not even close

On 7/23/2020 at 3:12 PM, ET80 said:

I think it's ambiguous - there's no set guidelines for HoF consideration, whether it be stats or behavior. Lawrence Taylor is in and he was a huge drug addict and malcontent...but he's the last Defensive player to win an MVP and sort of changed defensive strategy as we know it.

LT is why LTs get paid so much.

He's not in the hall, is he?

Didn't LT have human trafficking charges against him too?....

On 7/20/2020 at 8:28 PM, sammymvpknight said:

He's just at his manic low...give a few days...he'll be back.

Someone I know had a serious manic bout a few years back and had to be admitted numerous times over the span of about 3 months*, and this is exactly what AB has struck me as. It's really sad too, and frankly scary to see someone you know who otherwise was a really nice, normal person turn into something completely unrecognizable. Seeing the fall off from manic to depressed is just as scary, if not more. 

I feel awful for the guy if this is the case, and hope someone can get him on proper meds which have brought the person I know entirely back to us as they were before (after some painful months of trying one prescription after another until they got the balance right). 

He always seemed a real heads down, model pro until near the end of his time with the Steelers too. I remember thinking he had a chance to surpass even Rice's numbers with his style of play and professionalism. I'm in Ireland so not as exposed to everyday though, did I miss attitude issues down the years with him or something? 

* The one thing - and yes this makes me a POS - but the one thing I have to say I still laugh when I think back on, was visiting this person in the psych unit they were in and seeing two men arguing over which of them was Jesus. I sh** you not! :D

38 minutes ago, Billy86 said:

Someone I know had a serious manic bout a few years back and had to be admitted numerous times over the span of about 3 months*, and this is exactly what AB has struck me as. It's really sad too, and frankly scary to see someone you know who otherwise was a really nice, normal person turn into something completely unrecognizable. Seeing the fall off from manic to depressed is just as scary, if not more. 

I feel awful for the guy if this is the case, and hope someone can get him on proper meds which have brought the person I know entirely back to us as they were before (after some painful months of trying one prescription after another until they got the balance right). 

He always seemed a real heads down, model pro until near the end of his time with the Steelers too. I remember thinking he had a chance to surpass even Rice's numbers with his style of play and professionalism. I'm in Ireland so not as exposed to everyday though, did I miss attitude issues down the years with him or something? 

* The one thing - and yes this makes me a POS - but the one thing I have to say I still laugh when I think back on, was visiting this person in the psych unit they were in and seeing two men arguing over which of them was Jesus. I sh** you not! :D

The challenge with AB isn’t just the Bipolar.  Lots of people have Bipolar and live completely functional lives...I know a ton of them. The biggest challenge is that AB also pretty likely has narcissistic traits (at minimum). That’s the part of it that gives him horrible self-insight, and why everyone else is at fault and how he hasn’t been treated. I personally would prefer 100 bipolar patients over one narcissistic personality disorder patient...it may the most challenging psychiatrist diagnosis to manage. 

Yeah that's true too, though narcissism also plays an element with people in manic bouts. With the person I know they're humble to a fault but when manic, they became a monster and were convinced they were going to solve every problem in the world over the next 18 months, then create time travel because "scientists are idiots compared to me" and berated many people including their own sisters for being "pathetic failures who I'm just better than at everything" (paraphrasing both). They were also going to get their PhD in law I nthe next 6 weeks and be chief Justice of the Canadian supreme Court within the next two years followed by prime minister.

And that's just what I can remember off the top of my head. Even if you corrected them it was as if they heard entirely different words to what you told them. Apparently this haoken far more in Type 1s, as Type 2s are more likely to be depressed and rapid cyclers (the worst to have) don't stay manic for long enough for these thoughts to materialize as much. 

Of course when you're a famous athlete with millions of dollars, that becomes far harder to talk down at all and makes it easy for them to just continue surrounding themselves with enablers and dodging that 'rock bottom'.

Was AB always showing signs of narcissism though? I think I recall hearing around the time of his Raiders stint that he changed a lot after that scumbag Burfict did a scumbag Burfict hit on him but I've always just followed him in the field rather than off, so can't be sure myself. 

On 7/22/2020 at 10:07 AM, Uncle Buck said:

Stephen A. Smith summed it up best a while ago when he said that all AB had to do was keep his mouth shut for two days and he could have pocketed a guaranteed $30,000,000.  Even for that kind of money, he couldn't act professionally and keep his mouth shut, so he lost out.  I'm glad to see that no team caved into his buffoonery.  Other buffoons out there should take note, but they probably won't.

Funny how he criticizes AB for not being able to do something that Stephen A. Smith wouldn't be able to do himself, lol...

...wouldn't that be something...two days of no Stephen A. Smith, haha...

17 hours ago, sammymvpknight said:

The challenge with AB isn’t just the Bipolar.  Lots of people have Bipolar and live completely functional lives...I know a ton of them. The biggest challenge is that AB also pretty likely has narcissistic traits (at minimum). That’s the part of it that gives him horrible self-insight, and why everyone else is at fault and how he hasn’t been treated. I personally would prefer 100 bipolar patients over one narcissistic personality disorder patient...it may the most challenging psychiatrist diagnosis to manage. 

And TBH, if AB would ever hold a press conference (yes, he still has enough 'juice' to be able to pull that off, IMO), like an adult, and as contrite as humanly possible, apologized for his behavior over the past three years, admit that he fell victim to a legit psychological condition, as well as, allowed his conceit and overwhelming selfishness to take control of his life...

AND...openly and honestly revealed that he is on a course of medication and therapy, that has completely changed his way of thinking of late...

AND...admitted to his complete and overreaction to situations over the past few years that have caused embarrassment and shame on him and his family...

AND...actually DOES, and states, that he has extricated himself from those persons who have been a poor influence on him... 

AND...agrees to no longer communicate via Twitter, and other social media outlets, any inappropriate rants, etc...

THEN...humbly stated that he's kept himself in shape physically, and now thanks to his new outlook on life, and psychological well-being, that he would welcome coming back to the NFL when they deem him to have kept himself in control, and based upon recommendations from his therapist/psychologist/psychiatrist, etc. for him to be able to handle the mental and physical rigors of an NFL player.

IF he would act accordingly, I believe all would be forgiven after a single productive, and off-the-field-news-free season...

But sadly...

...No...he has not yet learned his lesson...he DEMANDS the NFL to take action/make a decision???  That does not sound like verbiage from a person who is humble/contrite, and psychologically ready to come back to the NFL. 

2 minutes ago, Ward4HOF said:

And TBH, if AB would ever hold a press conference (yes, he still has enough 'juice' to be able to pull that off, IMO), like an adult, and as contrite as humanly possible, apologized for his behavior over the past three years, admit that he fell victim to a legit psychological condition, as well as, allowed his conceit and overwhelming selfishness to take control of his life...

AND...openly and honestly revealed that he is on a course of medication and therapy, that has completely changed his way of thinking of late...

AND...admitted to his complete and overreaction to situations over the past few years that have caused embarrassment and shame on him and his family...

AND...actually DOES, and states, that he has extricated himself from those persons who have been a poor influence on him... 

AND...agrees to no longer communicate via Twitter, and other social media outlets, any inappropriate rants, etc...

THEN...humbly stated that he's kept himself in shape physically, and now thanks to his new outlook on life, and psychological well-being, that he would welcome coming back to the NFL when they deem him to have kept himself in control, and based upon recommendations from his therapist/psychologist/psychiatrist, etc. for him to be able to handle the mental and physical rigors of an NFL player.

IF he would act accordingly, I believe all would be forgiven after a single productive, and off-the-field-news-free season...

But sadly...

...No...he has not yet learned his lesson...he DEMANDS the NFL to take action/make a decision???  That does not sound like verbiage from a person who is humble/contrite, and psychologically ready to come back to the NFL. 

It's really sad. He's one of the greatest WR's I've ever seen...and the guy definitely is a worker. Pound for pound...I think he has a very good argument for being one of the best players ever. There is no doubt that teams would be lining up to sign him if he did just as you said...but I don't think that he is capable of doing it. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Ward4HOF said:

Funny how he criticizes AB for not being able to do something that Stephen A. Smith wouldn't be able to do himself, lol...

I actually like Stephen A. most of the time, but that was a pretty funny observation.  You might be right on that.  xDxDxDxD

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Ward4HOF said:

Eh... Stephen A is paid to talk. The wilder the takes, the more money he makes. 

AB was supposed to get paid to play football, but he couldn't shut up...

• Like 2

42 minutes ago, ET80 said:

Eh... Stephen A is paid to talk. The wilder the takes, the more money he makes. 

AB was supposed to get paid to play football, but he couldn't shut up...

Exactly. Stephen A. Smith benefits from talking more because it's literally his job.

• Like 1