Giants and Jets To Play 2020 Without Fans In The Stadium

HolmesPriest

19 hours ago, THESKINSFAN21 said:

Gonna be interesting to see games where crowds won't play a part in the game. Even playing field.

In soccer it's made a huge shift. In the first month or so of the German league, only about 10% of home teams won games. crazy. So not even, tipped it dramatically, for some reason.

Edited by Hunter2_1

17 hours ago, GordyTheGoffer said:

I'm in the UK dude, there is zero chance of a vaccine by September or anything like it.

The promising one coming out of Oxford uni? Yeah, at least 2021...

"A few weeks later, on 20 July, the researchers would announce extremely promising initial results, based on the first 1,077 people, suggesting that the vaccine is both safe and triggers an immune response. “There is still much work to be done…but these early results hold promise," Sarah Gilbert of the University of Oxford said in a statement. The next step involves expanding the trial at a higher dose to thousands more people, volunteering at sites across the UK, as well as Brazil and South Africa. This phase of the clinical trials, to test efficacy on a much bigger scale, is what I have signed up for."

10 hours ago, Hunter2_1 said:

The promising one coming out of Oxford uni? Yeah, at least 2021...

"A few weeks later, on 20 July, the researchers would announce extremely promising initial results, based on the first 1,077 people, suggesting that the vaccine is both safe and triggers an immune response. “There is still much work to be done…but these early results hold promise," Sarah Gilbert of the University of Oxford said in a statement. The next step involves expanding the trial at a higher dose to thousands more people, volunteering at sites across the UK, as well as Brazil and South Africa. This phase of the clinical trials, to test efficacy on a much bigger scale, is what I have signed up for."

Yeh - they peeled back the 1st layers of the onion and found good news, there are a hundred more layers

Edited by GordyTheGoffer
  • Like 1

On 7/21/2020 at 10:41 AM, Ray Reed said:

I agree with the overall point but calling it the second “best” home attendance seems pretty disingenuous when they were 20th in % compared to capacity lol

Capacity percentage makes less sense as a comp then overall attendance. 

From a purely hypothetical standpoint, is it better to sell 80,000 of 100,000 seats or 55,000 of 60,000 seats? They still draw more people overall.

1 hour ago, drew39k said:

Capacity percentage makes less sense as a comp then overall attendance. 

From a purely hypothetical standpoint, is it better to sell 80,000 of 100,000 seats or 55,000 of 60,000 seats? They still draw more people overall.

Disagree when the word “best” is involved, like it was in the original post, considering % takes into account all of the seats a team can’t sell. 

I think most people would consider a team pulling 45,000/50,000 to have “better” attendance than a team pulling 60,000/80,000.

6 hours ago, Ray Reed said:

Disagree when the word “best” is involved, like it was in the original post, considering % takes into account all of the seats a team can’t sell. 

I think most people would consider a team pulling 45,000/50,000 to have “better” attendance than a team pulling 60,000/80,000.

Attendance means actual numbers, not percent of capacity.  Look it up.  So by definition, 60,000 in attendance is greater than 45K and is better attendance even though % capacity is less.  If you want to compare % of capacity, then you're fine with the 45,000, but you'd have to label it as % of capacity rather than attendance.

13 hours ago, Gmen said:

New York isn't even a COVID hot spot any more.  If they're playing without fans in NY, how on earth do they justify having fans in hot spots like Florida or Texas?

The attempts of justifying careless behaviour throughout this period has been frankly depressing. 

Edited by Hunter2_1

On 7/21/2020 at 12:58 AM, Deadpulse said:

It should happen to every team. There is no reason to have fans at the stadium, to do so is putting already filthy rich men's wallets ahead of public safety. 

This sort of comment annoys me.

Not the 'not having fans', if its not safe then they shouldn't do it.  The comment about money going into filthy men's wallet.

The NFL is a business which exists primarily to generate money. That is its sole purpose. Every other business that is opening up now is putting money above public safety. Don't see why sports should be picked on. Its not just owners, its also the players and the thousands of other staff employed - yes a big chuck of money goes to the owners but that's life, the more money there is, the better the economy and the more is filtered down.

There is no reason for shops to open but to make money, there is no reason for anything to open but to make money. But the facts of life are that these things have to generate money or we are all screwed.

I've heard the owners should foot the bill not the players. The players are paid insane amounts of money - even guys on minimum salary earn salaries most of us can only dream about. I don't have a problem with that - if these guys generate the fine they deserve. But if they generate less money due to Covid they should get less back. When income was rising every year, they didn't have a problem with their salaries increasing exponentially. In a down year, the opposite should happen.

@mikemike778, I agree with what you are saying but if you are trying to tell me that is why the owners are making this decision, to give seasonal employees jobs and allowing them to make money, that is super naive. Sports is picked on because it is the luxary of luxaries. Shops for clothes and food and day to day living need to be open for life as we know it to continue. Sports, not so much. 

5 minutes ago, mikemike778 said:

yes a big chuck of money goes to the owners but that's life, the more money there is, the better the economy and the more is filtered down.

This makes me gag though. Money filters down? How do you explain this then?

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2019-11-09/one-percenters-close-to-surpassing-wealth-of-u-s-middle-class

Money in America trickles up, not down. That is a continuous trend that shows no signs of reversing as the gap gets bigger. 

12 hours ago, Deadpulse said:

@mikemike778, I agree with what you are saying but if you are trying to tell me that is why the owners are making this decision, to give seasonal employees jobs and allowing them to make money, that is super naive. Sports is picked on because it is the luxary of luxaries. Shops for clothes and food and day to day living need to be open for life as we know it to continue. Sports, not so much. 

This makes me gag though. Money filters down? How do you explain this then?

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2019-11-09/one-percenters-close-to-surpassing-wealth-of-u-s-middle-class

Money in America trickles up, not down. That is a continuous trend that shows no signs of reversing as the gap gets bigger. 

No I am not saying owners are making this decision, to give seasonal employees jobs and allowing them to make money.

Owners are making this decision to make money. People are saying that's a bad thing when it is the sole functional purpose of the NFL and of all of the other businesses that are opening.  Shops aren't opening because they want to provide people with food and clothes, they are opening to make money. They are prioritizing money over public health. 

The more money that the NFL makes, the more there is for a lot of people not just the owners. If people are allowed at games then sure it makes the owners more money but it also generates jobs. Not saying they should be at games, I don't know the science behind how safe it is but people need to get over themselves complaining about it being financially driven.