Allbright: Trubisky To Be Named Starter

G08

There is no reason to keep Glennon on the team.

He isn't better than Sanchez. I would cut him and find a #3 on someones practice roster that you can put some development time into and who can run scout team with a little athletic ability.

Nate Sudfield [Philly]
Alex Togerson [Was]

Or cut Glennon and go with 2 QBs and sign a WR or someone who will help elsewhere on the roster.

WR Mike Clark
WR DeAngelo Yancy

Both on the Packers PR and with their injuries I am not sure how they could protect them.

Durkin was just tweeting the point I brought up yesterday.

We need to know what type of personnel the Bears need to keep and add in 2018 and the only way to do that is to see who meshes with Trubisky and who does not.

Personally I think Kendall Wright is setting off fireworks behind Halas Hall. The way that Trubisky uses the slot WR and his ability to throw and allow YAC yards will be good for Wrights bank account.

47 minutes ago, G08 said:

Watch what happens with Kendall Wright, agreed there Windy.

I actually think Deonte Thompson is going to make some noise as well...

I think Zach Miller will also start to produce. This guy has some big play ability and we have not really taken full advantage of it. I honestly however wonder how Pace will explain this mess up to Ownership? Glennon was a complete disaster.

He took his shot and he missed, badly. At the end of the day, we're still $11 million under the cap, and we can cut Glennon next season and have $4.5 million in dead money with $11.5 million opening up in cap space.

1 hour ago, Nads786 said:

I think Zach Miller will also start to produce. This guy has some big play ability and we have not really taken full advantage of it. I honestly however wonder how Pace will explain this mess up to Ownership? Glennon was a complete disaster.

It's the cost of doing business.  Ownership had to know that this would be a possibility after drafting Mitch #2 overall.

Although it looks bad on Pace, a 1-year sunk cost of $18 million is not a huge deal to these guys at the end of the day.  This is assuming that he secured his long term guy in Trubisky.

Great news...

I think that we are all to harsh on Pace. If he gave Hoyer another 1y 3-5 mil $ contract, every other team would know that he is drafting a QB with his pick. Even trading for that 2nd overall would cost much more. So, he went and spent 18 mil $ guaranteed on Glennon, wanting to lure others into thinking, that he will draft QB in later rounds. Ideally, he wanted that Mitch learns on the sideline, but Glennon played poorly last 3 games (he almost sold Steelers game with the pick), and the rest of the team is making noises. They have seen this type of team-destruction from their own QB just last year, and they know that there is someone who is better right now, and that's why Pace needed to rush his start.

This has nothing to do with Fox. He was probably angry that he needed to start Glennon in the first place (his reason for Glennon to be week 1 starter was Glennon's experience). I am not a fan of Fox (he has so much mistakes, such as team discipline, team being unprepared etc.), but I think this whole QB situation was directed from Pace.

Finally some hope for the fans, and I think that we will see Gentry in the team on Monday... 

2 hours ago, Bearsfancro said:

Great news...

I think that we are all to harsh on Pace. If he gave Hoyer another 1y 3-5 mil $ contract, every other team would know that he is drafting a QB with his pick. Even trading for that 2nd overall would cost much more. So, he went and spent 18 mil $ guaranteed on Glennon, wanting to lure others into thinking, that he will draft QB in later rounds. Ideally, he wanted that Mitch learns on the sideline, but Glennon played poorly last 3 games (he almost sold Steelers game with the pick), and the rest of the team is making noises. They have seen this type of team-destruction from their own QB just last year, and they know that there is someone who is better right now, and that's why Pace needed to rush his start.

This has nothing to do with Fox. He was probably angry that he needed to start Glennon in the first place (his reason for Glennon to be week 1 starter was Glennon's experience). I am not a fan of Fox (he has so much mistakes, such as team discipline, team being unprepared etc.), but I think this whole QB situation was directed from Pace.

Finally some hope for the fans, and I think that we will see Gentry in the team on Monday... 

Perhaps, but it would also have been a good fake and a much cheaper one if we sent several scouts and execs to multiple meetings with Mahomes or Watson or maybe to second day type QBs.

I'd be more inclined to believe that Pace wasn't sure if we'd get the QB we wanted in the first round and Glennon was his insurance policy if we did not draft Pace's franchise QB in the first round.  I don't put on the blame on Glennon for his performance, but he certainly has turned out to be at best no better than Hoyer and was certainly much more costly. Hence, a medium mistake for Pace that will be forgotten if Trubisky is the guy.

I think Pace genuinely likes/liked Mike Glennon and decided to roll the dice. The money he spent there sucks for us, but we still have $11 million in cap space so I don't think it prevented us from signing a player or two if we really wanted them.

I'm assuming in his mind, Glennon played well all season, Trubisky sat, and then Pace flipped Glennon for a draft pick(s) in the off-season or at some point next season. That clearly didn't play out so it will (and should) go down as a 'miss' in his book.

Good news? Cut him in the off-season and you've freed up $11.5 million.

Im sure he liked Glennon and thought Glennon would b a good bridge and potentially more.  But there is no doubt that the contract was structured as it was so that there was an out in case Glennon was bad or his young draftee was better sooner than expected.  Both happened to occur simultaneously.  

49 minutes ago, Superman(DH23) said:

Im sure he liked Glennon and thought Glennon would b a good bridge and potentially more.  But there is no doubt that the contract was structured as it was so that there was an out in case Glennon was bad or his young draftee was better sooner than expected.  Both happened to occur simultaneously.  

Here's the theory I've been working under with the Glennon signing:

I think the thought with Glennon was that he wasn't worse than Hoyer, we had a crap ton of cap space we were probably not going to be able to spend, and if Glennon turned out to be better than Hoyer then he would have had more trade value than if Hoyer had exceeded expectations this year. Essentially, Pace spent $10M in what would have been unused cap space on a roll of the dice at an extra high draft pick in 2018. It didn't work out, but I'm fine with that logic. It's not like spending that cap space on Glennon is what kept us from signing Bouye or Gilmore in FA. Those guys used our bottom feeding asses to leverage better deals where they really wanted to be. 

Archived