Allbright: Trubisky To Be Named Starter

G08

8 hours ago, AZBearsFan said:

I don't think anyone needs to teach Trubisky how to be smart with the ball. He was a top pick largely on his ability to see the whole field and make good decisions. To me the reasons a lot of QBs should sit is because they can't read the whole field. That has never been an issue for Mitch. 

People keep playing the "what if he gets beat up?" and "What if he gets David Carred?" cards. Carr played behind the worst OL in NFL history statistically. Ours is pretty strong. Plus, we clearly have no issues scheming to protect the QB if that's the route they choose to go even when it is to the detriment of offensive production. Even if they run the Glennon game plan with Trubisky the pros far outweigh the cons. We don't know that Rodgers and Favre were great because they sat at first any more than we know that Carr and Bortles are bad because they didn't. If Mitch wilts like a flower facing adversity then he isn't who we drafted him to be anyway. There is only one way to find out.

Windy is right about expectations though - he's going to get hit and he's going to make mistakes. All QBs get hit and even the greatest QBs make mistakes. If people can accept that waiting his turn was part of the process then they should be able to and need to be able to understand that these things are part of the process too. 

Actually, we should have Orton come in and school Fox as I have no faith in Fox not getting Trubisky killed to show Pace that Fox knows more than Pace or whatever weird reasoning that drives Fox. Not a rational statement on my part, but Fox has a been an abject failure as the Bears' coach so far.

Trubisky needs to play so the Bears can accurately assess the rest of the offense. Hard to build around him if we do not know what he can do at the NFL.

-what type of WRs does he need? I assume smaller-faster guys because of his accuracy, but maybe we need outside size.

-is the OL good enough, I think it is more than good enough with his mobility, but maybe I am wrong with live plays.

Look at a guy like Watson. Improving every week and making more and more plays.

Only way to do that is for him to learn in real situations, but also for the coach to see what works for him and doesn't.

Texans finally started to let him throw on the move and move the pocket.

5 hours ago, WindyCity said:

Look at a guy like Watson. Improving every week and making more and more plays.

Only way to do that is for him to learn in real situations, but also for the coach to see what works for him and doesn't.

Texans finally started to let him throw on the move and move the pocket.

To me this puts massive pressure on Trubisky, and it has to make Pace nervous.  The past 2 weeks, Watson has been seriously dealing.  If we traded up for Trubisky, and he's not as good as Watson, it can be seen as nothing other than a failure of massive proportions.

Only time will tell, but with the way Watson is playing, I'm already hearing people say "Trubisky had better be good...".

42 minutes ago, bkokot said:

To me this puts massive pressure on Trubisky, and it has to make Pace nervous.  The past 2 weeks, Watson has been seriously dealing.  If we traded up for Trubisky, and he's not as good as Watson, it can be seen as nothing other than a failure of massive proportions.

Only time will tell, but with the way Watson is playing, I'm already hearing people say "Trubisky had better be good...".

Nah, two weeks mean little. In the long term sure, but Watson has no chance of keeping up the pace he had this week of course. Plus I think anyone really looking at the teams can clearly see Hopkins/Fuller pretty clearly beats Wright/Bellamy. Watson will have his bombs and he will play lights out like any young QB. There were people after his first 2 games already talking like he was underachieving or a disappointment. I think fans might jump to conclusions way too early though, as most are far too volatile and reactive.

Perfect example is Goff. He was on a weak offense with poor coaching, and looked completely outmatched when he was playing. In comes McVay for the structure and tutelage, they get Watkins, Woods, Whitworth/etc in FA then draft Kupp and they are averaging 35ppg and Goff is on pace for 28TDs/4 Ints/4000+ yards (though I don't believe he ends with near that TD/INT ratio). But he was being massacred here and elsewhere like he was a bigger bust than JaMarcus Russell. Watson's performances have put zero pressure on Pace as of right now IMO.

And Trubisky knows the WR corps is trash, and knows there will be ebbs and flows for him and any other young QB. If he is already feeling pressure from seeing Watson's 4 games, then Pace made a poor choice and picked a Glennon-level beta male. Trubisky SHOULD feel like he could have put a better 4 games together than Watson, that is what a real alpha should be doing.

8 hours ago, Sugashane said:

Nah, two weeks mean little. In the long term sure, but Watson has no chance of keeping up the pace he had this week of course. Plus I think anyone really looking at the teams can clearly see Hopkins/Fuller pretty clearly beats Wright/Bellamy. Watson will have his bombs and he will play lights out like any young QB. There were people after his first 2 games already talking like he was underachieving or a disappointment. I think fans might jump to conclusions way too early though, as most are far too volatile and reactive.

Perfect example is Goff. He was on a weak offense with poor coaching, and looked completely outmatched when he was playing. In comes McVay for the structure and tutelage, they get Watkins, Woods, Whitworth/etc in FA then draft Kupp and they are averaging 35ppg and Goff is on pace for 28TDs/4 Ints/4000+ yards (though I don't believe he ends with near that TD/INT ratio). But he was being massacred here and elsewhere like he was a bigger bust than JaMarcus Russell. Watson's performances have put zero pressure on Pace as of right now IMO.

And Trubisky knows the WR corps is trash, and knows there will be ebbs and flows for him and any other young QB. If he is already feeling pressure from seeing Watson's 4 games, then Pace made a poor choice and picked a Glennon-level beta male. Trubisky SHOULD feel like he could have put a better 4 games together than Watson, that is what a real alpha should be doing.

Bingo! I'm shocked at how much better Jared looks but it really is a function of coaching and better weapons around him. Watson is playing great but the majority of his success is play action and RPO let's wait til year 2 to anoint anyone a true success. 

10 hours ago, Sugashane said:

I agree with everything you wrote.

As for Watson, I personally believe that he will be a good NFL player, but people tend to overreact a bit too early sometimes.  It's only been a few games. Let's see how it all plays out in the next 2-3 years.  Just remember RGIII and how good he looked his rookie season.

That said I'm excited to see Mitch finally play in real meaningful games.  Bears don't have the luxury of having him sit on the bench learning the game ala Aaron Rodgers.  That's just not how things work in today's NFL.  Only way this kid is going to get better is by playing.

I just hope people don't expect him to play like he did against Denver in the preseason... the kid is going to make some mistakes, he's going to throw some picks, etc.

Just make sure we keep supporting him and I hope the stupid fanbase doesn't boo the kid before he even has a shot to get his feet wet.

Archived