The Curse of having a Franchise QB

Green19

On ‎9‎/‎30‎/‎2017 at 5:20 PM, SassyFascistAlphaGuy said:

Teams absolutely stacked with talent on defense with no Elite QB = Minnesota, Cincinnati, Miami, Jacksonville, St. Louis, Baltimore.

Yet, we know for a fact that none of those teams have a shot at the Superbowl this year. 0% shot. Why? Because they have no QB that can get them there. An elite QB gives you a shot at the Superbowl every year. Those teams on defense are more talented than GB but I would take GB over each team because of...... Aaron Rodgers. 

And trust me, so would their coaches. 

Haha. I'd take the GB D over Miami 10 times out of 10. 

GB YPA allowed - 6.6

MIA YPA allowed - 9

GB Sack % - 8%

MIA Sack % - 4.62%

I could go on. There is literally not a stat I looked at that MIA was better at

46 minutes ago, SpeightTheVillain said:

Haha. I'd take the GB D over Miami 10 times out of 10. 

GB YPA allowed - 6.6

MIA YPA allowed - 9

GB Sack % - 8%

MIA Sack % - 4.62%

I could go on. There is literally not a stat I looked at that MIA was better at

# of Dom Capers:

MIA: ZERO

GB: TOO MANY

Found one.

On 9/30/2017 at 5:08 AM, Pugger said:

Was Clark drafted to be a pass rusher or a guy to engage linemen so others could be free to get after the QB?

It is a mistake to take a DT in the first round with no pass rush skills.  Those guys can and are found later.

He was drafted because he can do both.  That pass rush isn't showing up yet.  I'm not a fan of his, for where he was drafted, but the kid has gotten better since last year.  I think it is a matter of time because his pass rush kicks in.  Having Daniels next to him will help.

34 minutes ago, vegas492 said:

It is a mistake to take a DT in the first round with no pass rush skills.  Those guys can and are found later.

He was drafted because he can do both.  That pass rush isn't showing up yet.  I'm not a fan of his, for where he was drafted, but the kid has gotten better since last year.  I think it is a matter of time because his pass rush kicks in.  Having Daniels next to him will help.

Daniels is a much better player this year than last.  He collapses the pocket and blows up the run game plenty.  I agree the pass rush will come.  With him and Daniels on the line at the same time I expect big things.  

He's had a great anchor all year.  In Seattle (with Daniels next to him) he showed outstanding chase ability.  Since Mike's been gone, he's still had his anchor, but no real movement off of it.  Most of the time when I see him, he's being doubled.  I haven't seen him really collapse a pocket since Daniels went out.  And even though I'm not his biggest fan, I think he will once Mike is back.  Adams will help that out, too.

I think he is still 21 years old.  He's doing really, really well for a kid that age.  If he continues to improve, and I think he will, he will be pretty special in the next 2-3 years.

On 9/30/2017 at 9:26 PM, CWood21 said:

You could make this argument for any team that has to insert their backup QB instead of their actual starting QB.  Let's use the Vikings for example, do you think they're better or worse than the Packers across the board?  I'm not sure there's a positional group on offense where I'd take their offensive players over ours.  I'd definitely take our WR over theirs, I'd take our TE over theirs, and I'd definitely take our OL over theirs.  Defensively, they're better and I don't think anyone is going to fight that too hard.

I'll take their skill guys.

Diggs - he's 98% of antonio brown, and young

huge dropoff

Jordy - Old Jordy is slow and getting slower

Adams - 3 years with Rodgers and where is the chemistry?

Thielen - give thielen 6 weeks with A-Rod and he's pushing for 2nd best on the list.

huge dropoff

Cobb

Marty

Rudolph

Wright (this guy would look soooo much better in GB)

huge dropoff

the rest.

I don't understand how anybody can say a receiver without a 1000 yard season and a career high of 4TDs in a season, is a "huge dropoff" difference than Jordy Nelson. 

Obviously Diggs is a very good player. But durability plays a factor in these things and he's yet to generate a pro bowl caliber season. 

39 minutes ago, AlexGreen#20 said:

I don't understand how anybody can say a receiver without a 1000 yard season and a career high of 4TDs in a season, is a "huge dropoff" difference than Jordy Nelson. 

Obviously Diggs is a very good player. But durability plays a factor in these things and he's yet to generate a pro bowl caliber season. 

He seems to have more than his fair share of boneheaded drops as well. I'm curious what his drop% is. I've noticed it a few times.

His YAC is also subpar too isn't it? 

He's a  nice player, but he's a bit overrated right now.

43 minutes ago, AlexGreen#20 said:

Assume that post was sarcasm and just point and laugh. Diggs with Rodgers would be really good. Otherwise? Nah. Can find a Theilen on many other teams. Rest aren't even worth mentioning. 

2 hours ago, AlexGreen#20 said:

And Jordy Nelson will never have another pro bowl season again.  Nelson is now a system player, while Diggs is a game breaker.

He has 4 TDs already... and averages more y/g than nelson in his career.  Both Nelson and Diggs have played in 84% and 83% of games available to them respectively.  So what's the point being made here?  That he missed 6 games and was a rookie 2 years ago?  He's already destroyed Nelson's entire 3rd year season in production in just 4 games with Case Keenum and Sam Bradford at QB.  He's just a much better player now than Nelson is now, and a much better player than Nelson was at the same stage of their career.

1 hour ago, incognito_man said:

He seems to have more than his fair share of boneheaded drops as well. I'm curious what his drop% is. I've noticed it a few times.

His YAC is also subpar too isn't it? 

He's a  nice player, but he's a bit overrated right now.

So the guy with career 69% catch percentage has bad hands?  I think it's well proven that YAC is more a product of QB play than receiver play, though there are a few notable exceptions of receivers like Brandon Lloyd who just catch it and fall down.  Even so, he has more YAC per reception than Nelson does over the past 2 years.  For both, it's hard to generate YAC when you just catch the ball in the endzone all day...

Diggs is not a nice player.  He's the best skill position player in the NFC North.  I'd expect capers to give him the ODB/Julio Jones treatment.  And that would be the best compliment anyone can pay him.

30 minutes ago, skibrett15 said:

He's already destroyed Nelson's entire 3rd year season in production in just 4 games with Case Keenum and Sam Bradford at QB.  He's just a much better player now than Nelson is now, and a much better player than Nelson was at the same stage of their career.

How does the snaps played in years 1-3 compare for Nelson or Diggs?

58 minutes ago, squire12 said:

How does the snaps played in years 1-3 compare for Nelson or Diggs?

12 minutes ago, skibrett15 said:

that data only goes back to 2012 on PFR so... I dunno

Thanks.  Just seems like opportunity for Diggs has come earlier than what Nelson's did.  

Just now, squire12 said:

Just seems like opportunity for Diggs has come earlier than what Nelson's did.  

definitely true.  He's a lot better than Nelson was at this point in his career.  He would earn the opportunities behind Jennings/Driver and later ahead of James Jones.  

Diggs is good, but even having lost a step, Nelson is still an absolute master technician. That is why him and Rodgers have such great chemistry. They both see eye to eye on that style. Not to say Diggs wouldn't do well here, but I don't know that you'd find him making the same kind of plays. Athleticism is great and it definitely has value,. but technique and savvy is valuable too and Nelson still has the edge there. I don't have a huge lean either way you want to call it between the two right now.

And does it really matter? Skill positions are so ridiculously overrated. No RB/WR/TE is going to go any farther than his QB and OL will let him. Even if they post great individual numbers like Calvin Johnson or Adrian Peterson, they are more sizzle than steak. So yeah unless it's a truly dominant player at their position, it's just a "nice player".

Archived