Juwan James out for the year

8 hours ago, broncos67 said:

I will never criticize a player for doing something health-wise they feel is best for themselves or their family. At the end of the day, these are people, not machines. I'm also in the minority (I think) who feels James got thrown under the bus big time by the team last year- Vic calling out his mental toughness, outwardly doubting his injury, when it came out later that he had a more significant injury than was initially thought + one that wasn't healing well.

Not a great look for James though given his overall reputation. But I wouldn't be so quick to assume the locker room doesn't have his back- no way of telling what the thoughts were on the FO/coaches for throwing him under the bus + Vic's earlier comments this year + Simmons not getting a contract. Players back players most of the time.

Yeah the whole knee thing is interesting.  Medical staff definitely could’ve botched it, but he was cleared twice, would practice in full and then come game time have issues.

James has had that reputation since entering the league and many in this forum (I was not one of them) were calling this the day he was signed to the massive deal.  

I think that’s more where the frustration is coming from with James.  Not just opting out this year, but just the accumulation of things throughout his career.

Anyway it gives some other guys a chance to shine and get some experience.  Hopefully someone seizes the opportunity. 

James may deserve the soft reputation its hard to dismiss from MIA days.  

But DEN staff not reimaging the knee when he reported the buckling on return and then finding he had a meniscal tear was a complete fail on the DEN coaching and medical staff.  

James having a 1-year old at home hard to blame him on that decision.    Not given the way the non bubble sports (MLB) are doing in failing to control case spread.   

It doesn’t have to be binary that it’s all on James or the team.   But it’s pretty hard to blame James for this decision.  Anyone who suggests it’s a safe decision to play isn’t paying attention to what’s happening.  

Edited by Broncofan

On 8/10/2020 at 8:57 AM, The Helicopter said:

Talking through how players in this sport are going to keep themselves safe is something we are all interested and concerned with...however, let's discuss football and leave the epidemiology discussions on other forums.

Is this you pleading to one day be made a moderator? Lmao..

I don't blame the guy one bit. The Broncos fan side of me is bummed that we wasted money on a lot of potential that turned out to be a bust that just might not want to play football in the first place. 

But the human side of me can't blame any player or any WORKER in this country for that matter—no matter how much they make—for deciding to put their families' health and safety first in a global pandemic. Especially when Goddell and the NFL owners have made it abundantly clear that the only thing they care about is profit. The season will likely not be delayed and the virus will run rampant and players are simply making the wise choice to protect themselves. Disappointed in how James has panned out in Denver but this is a personal choice that has nothing to do with football. 

• Like 1

No one has said it, but I will.  Professional athletes are non essential.  They’re entertainers.  It is is no doubt difficult to watch professional athletes opt out especially when they’re arguably put in the safest situations in the country because they can afford testing out the arse. Factor in they aren’t even actually forfeiting any money it’s just being deferred and it makes it even harder to swallow.  

Call me petty or whatever you’d like, but I’m just stating what’s at the crux of this situation with James.  As someone else mentioned, this was very convenient for him and should’ve been expected considering his past history.  

Haha we all want to opt out right now and 99% of the country has far better reasons to do so and far more exposure than an NFL player. 

Edited by germ-x
  • Like 2

Dotson's lost a step, he's unfortunately nowhere close to his peak level.   It would be a stretch to say he's replacement level.  

Having said that - I'd still agree he's likely ahead of Wilkinson.    Wilkinson had a long way to go last year before he could even be considered league-average.   It's not exactly a jump we can feel comfortable pencilling in.   Swing T, sure.   Starter?   Man...

As much as the team is headed in the right way long-term - we should temper our 2021 expectations.     The lost OTA and ST time for a new scheme, getting Lock comfortable with Shurmur (and vice-versa), and integrating rookies for NFL speed with no game reps, and now the OL depth taking a major hit, it's a tall ask for the O to be ready to go for Week 1.    The team's still headed the right way and in a big way, but the teams that don't have a major scheme change, and/or aren't or dependent on rookies for a big boost, are going to have a major edge over the teams bringing in new schemes/OC's and/or looking for rookies (other than positions like RB) to upgrade them for impact early on.

Edited by Broncofan

38 minutes ago, Broncofan said:

Dotson's lost a step, he's unfortunately nowhere close to his peak level.   It would be a stretch to say he's replacement level.  

Having said that - I'd still agree he's likely ahead of Wilkinson.    Wilkinson had a long way to go last year before he could even be considered league-average.   It's not exactly a jump we can feel comfortable pencilling in.   Swing T, sure.   Starter?   Man...

As much as the team is headed in the right way long-term - we should temper our 2021 expectations.     The lost OTA and ST time for a new scheme, getting Lock comfortable with Shurmur (and vice-versa), and integrating rookies for NFL speed with no game reps, and now the OL depth taking a major hit, it's a tall ask for the O to be ready to go for Week 1.    The team's still headed the right way and in a big way, but the teams that don't have a major scheme change, or dependent on rookies for a big boost, are going to have a major edge over the teams bringing in new schemes/OC's and/or looking for rookies (other than positions like RB) to upgrade them for impact early on.

Agreed with the expectations part.  Was talking to a friend yesterday who is excited and so am I, but it’s an incredibly young offense and will take some time to mesh. 

Haha.  The NFL has conducted almost 110,000 covid 19 tests in about a 2-3 week period.  Players have been getting tested daily for the last 2 weeks......I think I’d have chosen to play.  Sounds like the safest profession on the planet.  

For a comparison the entire state of Colorado does that many tests in about 2 weeks.

Edited by germ-x