Bengals Traning Camp

THE DUKE

2 hours ago, Danand said:

So, I was very high on Logan Wilson and just as impressive with a healthy Marcus Bailey. Drafttwitter was excited about Akeem Davis Gaither. How are those players performing in training camp?

Reports are all good.  let's hope they are catching up to game speed.  Reports have said bailey and Wilson are in line for a lot of snaps on D.  ADG is going to have specific roles on D as well.  Throw in Pratt from the previous draft class, and I hope we finally have an NFL caliber LB room

48 minutes ago, INbengalfan said:

Reports are all good.  let's hope they are catching up to game speed.  Reports have said bailey and Wilson are in line for a lot of snaps on D.  ADG is going to have specific roles on D as well.  Throw in Pratt from the previous draft class, and I hope we finally have an NFL caliber LB room

The athleticism now vs 2 years ago in the LB room is night and day.  I see some prognosticators thinking Bailey will be on the practice squad, but I don't see it.  Sure, he was a 7th rd pick, but that was because of the injury history.  If he's healthy, I think someone claims him, and in turn I think he makes the Bengals roster.

20 hours ago, west tx bengal fan said:

Thanks... isn't it true that coaches like Belichick make it look so easy too?  Hate to say it but the coaches in Balt and Pitt have this stuff down cold.

If you play the season close, then a few bounces at the end can put you in the playoffs.... or a few injuries can break you.  

I was kinda saying two things tho and wasn't as clear as I could have been.

1.  Teams that are "competitive" meet the first step to be playoff teams.  They are close every (or nearly every) weekend and can take what statistically amounts to a 0.500 season up a few notches by learning how to optimize in crunch time (or what Magic Johnson used to call "Winning Time").  I do believe that Joe Burrow has this although it remains to be seen whether he can maintain it at the next level through (what has often been) the dysfunction of the Mike Brown operation.

2.  A good coach can also elevate the team by coaching up every player and situation 10% more to provide that winning edge.

Would be awesome to see Zac Taylor emerge as the teacher they think he is while assisted by QB Burrow as the QB we hope he can be!

Agree with both of those.  I did a little study a few years back on close games.  My very crude suggested that few teams consistently win close games, except NE.  They had a ridiculous .700 record or something like that in close games.  I can't remember where Pitt fell on the list.

5 hours ago, THE DUKE said:

The athleticism now vs 2 years ago in the LB room is night and day.  I see some prognosticators thinking Bailey will be on the practice squad, but I don't see it.  Sure, he was a 7th rd pick, but that was because of the injury history.  If he's healthy, I think someone claims him, and in turn I think he makes the Bengals roster.

Bailey should make the roster if he's good enough. But if he's not a top 7 (or however many LBs we keep), it should be safe to move him to the practice squad. He was a 7th round pick for a reason after all and hasn't had preseason games to show he was misdrafted. Let's not repeat last year's roster mistakes by keeping Dolegala on the 53 all year or AJ Green long after it was clear he wasn't coming back.

1 hour ago, SmittyBacall said:

Mixon missed practice again today with “migraines”. Anyone else think he’s come down with a case of bring-me-my-money-itis?

Let’s get this deal done.

There was a report yesterday about sending him to a dentist.  maybe getting a tooth pulled will alleviate it.  

But yes, get the deal done already

14 hours ago, SmittyBacall said:

He was a 7th round pick because of injury concerns, not talent. If he looks healthy in camp I wouldn’t risk putting him on the PS.

The Ravens still have questionmarks at inside linebacker, Bailey would fit well with us and I had hopes we would go for him late in the draft. If not for the knee injuries, I think he would have gone much earlier in the draft.

2 hours ago, Sandwhich2 said:

Hey guys,

I'm a Jets fan but I was just curious if there's been any news on Carl Lawson. Just a fan of his in general and hoping he can get healthy. Is he? Is he expected to be a full time player this year?

As far as I can tell he’s healthy. Entering a contract year, I’m expecting his game to be on point. He’ll be rotating with Dunlap/Hubbard, and will most likely see most of his snaps in pass rushing situations. 

He’s always been super effective when healthy. I’m hoping he can stay on the field this year and we can resign him long-term.