Pettine's Gone, but Outpost is Back

MacReady

27 minutes ago, skibrett15 said:

oh come off it.  Plenty wanted him gone during the coach transition too, and even more wanted him gone after the year.  Made no sense to keep him from MM to MLF.

Only Packfan and I were obnoxiously persistent about it.  Come on man you gotta know how I talk by now.

7 hours ago, Outpost31 said:

150 million dollars spent on Smith, Smith and Clark.

12th overall spent on Rashan Gary.

16th overall on Jaire Alexander to cover.

21st overall on Darnell Savage to cover.

50 million spent on Amos to cover.

Dropping Preston Smith and Kenny Clark multiple time, rushing 3 multiple times, 9 players in coverage on 2nd and 8 and still allowing a first down completion, 2 pressures on 28 drop backs...

Pettine.

Don't forget King was a 33rd overall pick.

• Like 1

This literally infuriates me.  I would take back 2018 Rodgers for a top ten defense in a heartbeat.

NOTHING upsets me more than poor defense, even when it’s excusable.

We are performing worse on defense than when we had Ladarius ****ing Gunther at corner and Clay Matthews at pass rusher.

Put that in your pipe and smoke it anybody who says it’s not Pettine’s fault.

It’s his fault.

2 hours ago, Outpost31 said:

AND I TRIED TO TELL ALL OF YOU!

@packfanfb and I were the only two, maybe you Incog I don’t remember, who just wanted him gone period after that atrocious Championship game.

I ****ing said this would happen.  You don’t get your *** handed to you to the tune of 200 plus rushing yards and 35 plus points when the QB only attempts 8 passes if you have a good coordinator.

I wanted him gone last year already. I was fully onboard replacing him when we hired LaFleur. I wanted Steve Spagnuolo

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, Outpost31 said:

This literally infuriates me.  I would take back 2018 Rodgers for a top ten defense in a heartbeat.

NOTHING upsets me more than poor defense, even when it’s excusable.

We are performing worse on defense than when we had Ladarius ****ing Gunther at corner and Clay Matthews at pass rusher.

Put that in your pipe and smoke it anybody who says it’s not Pettine’s fault.

It’s his fault.

Pettin needs to go.  I also think there are personnel issues at S, CB, DL, and possibly coverage ILB/S.

S is a problem right now with savage.  Amos is fine.  Savage doesn't make enough plays to compensate for not being assignment sound.  Kevin King is a good player who is never healthy.  No one else on the roster can compete with a decent No. 2 receiver in the mold of emmanuel sanders, let alone play against a good player like Tyler Lockett.

DL is missing a warm body next to clark.  

ILB/S is not sound enough to cover athletic TEs.

After carefully reading over the last couple pages and the last few comments, I think the criticism above is spot on. Outpost, Incog, and Skibrett have enumerated exactly the problems most all of us see on display. Yet Gutekunst simply sits in the middle of it all and does nothing. Zip. Nada. I just don't get it. And it's impossible to listen to national radio and tv sports talk without an almost daily reference to the bizarre draft picks this past spring and the total blindness to the need for a second wide receiving threat, a speedy inside linebacker or some quality talent next to Kenny Clark. Somebody tell me we're still gonna make a last minute trade. Please!

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Gypsy1027 said:

After carefully reading over the last couple pages and the last few comments, I think the criticism above is spot on. Outpost, Incog, and Skibrett have enumerated exactly the problems most all of us see on display. Yet Gutekunst simply sits in the middle of it all and does nothing. Zip. Nada. I just don't get it. And it's impossible to listen to national radio and tv sports talk without an almost daily reference to the bizarre draft picks this past spring and the total blindness to the need for a second wide receiving threat, a speedy inside linebacker or some quality talent next to Kenny Clark. Somebody tell me we're still gonna make a last minute trade. Please!

I agree that Pettine has been bad.  And should be removed.

But, concerning those national sports talk guys...

• There was no WR available worth a first round pick when we took Love.  The only thing worse than taking Love would have been taking someone with a second round grade at WR in the first round when there is a QB on the board with a first round grade.
  • There were two players I had my eye on during our selection of Love.  (Love wasn't one of them, that pick blindsided me.)  Diggs at corner and Queen at ILB.  Queen fits the narrative of a "speedy" inside linebacker.  Maybe he would have been a good selection for us.  But can you really fault taking a QB with a first round grade over an ILB?  (I do not.)
  • Quality next to Clark on the inside also was not available when we picked.  So again we go back to reaching in the first for a DL with a second round grade when there is a QB with a first round grade sitting there.

Regarding a trade.  I'd love one.  I really would.  But what I want more is a DC who will play an aggressive style of defense with what we have.  Let them sink or swim.  

• Like 3

@skibrett15, do not sleep on Savage at all.  

When watching games, how often do you see balls thrown near Savage?  I never see him in completed passes.  I could be wrong, but I don’t think he’s a liability in coverage at all.  Additionally, dude’s got elite closing speed.  You don’t give up on that.

Remember Nick Collins?  Most Packer fans wanted him cut.  Then in either his first or second year with Capers, he turned all-pro Hall of Fame trajectory seemingly overnight.

Savage is not an issue, his coach is.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Outpost31 said:

Remember Nick Collins?  Most Packer fans wanted him cut.  Then in either his first or second year with Capers, he turned all-pro Hall of Fame trajectory seemingly overnight.

#bringbackCapers

#butseriously

#betterthanPettine

26 minutes ago, Outpost31 said:

@skibrett15, do not sleep on Savage at all.  

When watching games, how often do you see balls thrown near Savage?  I never see him in completed passes.  I could be wrong, but I don’t think he’s a liability in coverage at all.  Additionally, dude’s got elite closing speed.  You don’t give up on that.

I think savage can improve.  I'm not sure he's where he needs to be right now for this defense to be good.

3 hours ago, skibrett15 said:

Pettin needs to go.  I also think there are personnel issues at S, CB, DL, and possibly coverage ILB/S.

S is a problem right now with savage.  Amos is fine.  Savage doesn't make enough plays to compensate for not being assignment sound.  Kevin King is a good player who is never healthy.  No one else on the roster can compete with a decent No. 2 receiver in the mold of emmanuel sanders, let alone play against a good player like Tyler Lockett.

DL is missing a warm body next to clark.  

ILB/S is not sound enough to cover athletic TEs.

You watched that game on Sunday and came away thinking Savage is the lesser of the Safeties? Gronk put it to Amos, Greene, and Burks a handful of times.

The biggest problem with our defense though, more than anything any individual player is doing, is that we are so damn predictable that any QB can operate with reasonable certainty that they're going to the right place.

And right now the right place is right in the middle of that second level. You can reasonably make a dependable living against us with TE post routes and soft gap runs.