Ravens S Earl Thomas sent home from team; Released

RaidersAreOne

6 hours ago, TecmoSuperJoe said:

Hmm, the Steelers won a lot of games with Antonio Brown though. Same with the Cowboys and Ezekiel Elliott. Patriots just signed Cam Newton? Lesean McCoy just won the Super Bowl lmao. 

You can't make it very far with a bunch of choir boys. Every NFL team has their share of hooligans and me-first players. 

Antonio Brown sat out a week 17 game that could’ve got the Steelers into the playoffs had the Ravens lost in 2018 because the team had just voted JuJu team MVP. Of course things were fine when he was “the” guy - but as soon as the spotlight shifted just a tad, look what happened. He tried to sabotage that team.

Lesean McCoy was not a driving factor behind that Chiefs super bowl squad - he just happened to be on the team. 

I don’t view Cam and Zeke in nearly the same vain as a guy like Earl. Both get “diva” labels slapped on them but i’ve never heard of them skipping out on meetings, not listening to coaches, etc. They have a “me” air about them maybe, but that isn’t the same as deliberately not working towards the team goal as hard as everyone else like Earl’s been accused of - much different.

Theres a difference between having a “team full of choir boys” and letting the inmates run the asylum - it seemed as though the Earl situation was beginning to tip towards the latter. 

Edited by Ray Reed

11 hours ago, TecmoSuperJoe said:

Hmm, the Steelers won a lot of games with Antonio Brown though. Same with the Cowboys and Ezekiel Elliott. Patriots just signed Cam Newton? Lesean McCoy just won the Super Bowl lmao. 

You can't make it very far with a bunch of choir boys. Every NFL team has their share of hooligans and me-first players. 

Well the Ravens seem to be doing just fine without those types of players.

59 minutes ago, DutchFalcon said:

Needed a bad call on Ray Rice vs the Chargers to get that SB brah.

Nah, brah.

At 10-5 and the division locked up we rested our starters week 17 against the Bengals that year. If we were 9-6 going into that game we would’ve played our starters against a team we beat 44-13 earlier that year. Either path leads to 10-6 and playoff wins against Andrew Luck, Peyton Manning, and Tom Brady. And then...you know, actually winning the SB.

And I really hope you’re not a Falcons fan chirping the Ravens right now 😂

Edited by Ray Reed
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, DutchFalcon said:

Needed a bad call on Ray Rice vs the Chargers to get that SB brah.

48 minutes ago, Ray Reed said:

Nah, brah.

At 10-5 and the division locked up we rested our starters week 17 against the Bengals that year. If we were 9-6 going into that game we would’ve played our starters against a team we beat 44-13 earlier that year. Either path leads to 10-6 and playoff wins against Andrew Luck, Peyton Manning, and Tom Brady. And then...you know, actually winning the SB.

Not to mention that Ray Rice wasn’t even a me first player. He might have been involved in scandal, but he didn’t bring that into the locker room and it happened AFTER we won the Super Bowl. When it happened the Ravens wasted no time in releasing him. So his point doesn’t even make sense.

25 minutes ago, diamondbull424 said:

Not to mention that Ray Rice wasn’t even a me first player. He might have been involved in scandal, but he didn’t bring that into the locker room and it happened AFTER we won the Super Bowl. When it happened the Ravens wasted no time in releasing him. So his point doesn’t even make sense.

He wasnt talking about the incident, he was talking about the 4th and 29 play against SD...in his mind RR didn’t get the first down, ergo Ravens shouldn’t have made the playoffs/win the SB.

1 hour ago, diamondbull424 said:

When it happened the Ravens wasted no time in releasing him. So his point doesn’t even make sense.

Wasted no time? Rice was released on Sept 8th, 2014. The incident happened on Feb 15 and the video came out on Feb 19th.

Not wasting no time is exactly what KC did when the video of Kareem Hunt was released. Ravens didnt really act swiftly 

9 hours ago, Ray Reed said:

Antonio Brown sat out a week 17 game that could’ve got the Steelers into the playoffs had the Ravens lost in 2018 because the team had just voted JuJu team MVP. Of course things were fine when he was “the” guy - but as soon as the spotlight shifted just a tad, look what happened. He tried to sabotage that team.

Lesean McCoy was not a driving factor behind that Chiefs super bowl squad - he just happened to be on the team. 

I don’t view Cam and Zeke in nearly the same vain as a guy like Earl. Both get “diva” labels slapped on them but i’ve never heard of them skipping out on meetings, not listening to coaches, etc. They have a “me” air about them maybe, but that isn’t the same as deliberately not working towards the team goal as hard as everyone else like Earl’s been accused of - much different.

Theres a difference between having a “team full of choir boys” and letting the inmates run the asylum - it seemed as though the Earl situation was beginning to tip towards the latter. 

I don't see why it matters if McCoy was the "driving factor" or not. If he wasn't vital, then that is more reason to not sign him. Regardless, McCoy was signed on a team that wasn't losing in recent years, which according to the logic of the person I quoted shouldn't be possible since winning teams in recent years don't harbor those types of players. However in reality every team has those type of players from top of the roster to bottom. Has nothing to do with a team that is losing consistently or winning consistently. If their talent outweighs their baggage, they'll have an opportunity. How long the leash is depends on each team, but the door will be open for a while. And Antonio Brown didn't just become a nut job overnight. He was a top receiver for them for many years, and the Steelers won many games. Sitting out week 17 in 2018 is irrelevant., because he was already signed in the first place and had been there many years. Tomlin just kept it under wraps. 

But I do agree with you about a team not harboring guys that will try to run the asylum. But there aren't really any teams that will keep those guys for long anyway. Doesn't have to do with winning or losing though, or else the Raiders would still be knocking on Antonio Brown's door asking him to come back. That was my big issue with logic. That winning teams sign guys that won't take the team down, and losing squads will sign anybody. If you have a good amount of talent you'll get chance after chance, because teams are so desperate to win in this league. 

Edited by TecmoSuperJoe

25 minutes ago, buno67 said:

Wasted no time? Rice was released on Sept 8th, 2014. The incident happened on Feb 15 and the video came out on Feb 19th.

Not wasting no time is exactly what KC did when the video of Kareem Hunt was released. Ravens didnt really act swiftly 

“The” video did not come out on Feb 19th. It’s being disingenuous to say that - but i’m assuming you just looked up the wiki for it. That’s a no-no in academia.

The video that came out on Feb 19th was just an exterior shot of the elevator that showed Rice dragging his GF from the elevator. Very poor optics in and of itself, but from Feb-Sep there was massive speculation on what occurred inside the elevator. A lot of talk that the scuffle wasn’t actually that bad and she just passed out because she was super hammered after whatever level of altercation occurred inside the elevator.

The video showing Ray Rice punching his fiancé inside the elevator wasn’t released until Sep 8th. He was immediately cut when that video came to light. 

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.sbnation.com/platform/amp/nfl/2014/5/23/5744964/ray-rice-arrest-assault-statement-apology-ravens

“Sept. 8: Ravens release Rice

The same day that TMZ released video of Rice knocking his wife unconscious, the Ravens terminated the running back's contract. According to Dan Wetzel of Yahoo! Sports, the decision was made because Rice had allegedly been dishonest with the team about what transpired.”

It doesn’t really matter and especially not in the context of this thread so this is the last post i’m making about this, but pretending like the video of Rice punching his GF was out months and months before the Ravens released him is straight up disingenuous disinformation on your part trying to make the Ravens look bad. 

It’s weak and it’s erroneous.

45 minutes ago, buno67 said:

Feb. 19: Video surfaces of Rice dragging Palmer from an elevator

The "minor physical altercation" that Rice's attorney described appeared much more serious than that after footage emerged -- via TMZ, naturally -- of what was allegedly Rice dragging Palmer's limp body from an elevator by her shoulders. Again, Rice's representation came to his defense, saying, "neither Ray nor myself will try this case in the media," but acknowledged that the footage released by TMZ did, indeed, depict the couple.

Sept. 8: Video surfaces of Rice punching wife in the face

Rice and the NFL took heavy criticism in the weeks following the announcement of his two-game suspension. Just after Week 1, those criticisms were stoked. TMZ received video of Rice punching Palmer inside the elevator, and published it.

Sept. 8: Ravens release Rice

The same day that TMZ released video of Rice knocking his wife unconscious, the Ravens terminated the running back's contract. According to Dan Wetzel of Yahoo! Sports, the decision was made because Rice had allegedly been dishonest with the team about what transpired.

Sept. 8: John Harbaugh said the Ravens did not see the tape until the TMZ release

In the first public comments by the Ravens following Rice's release, head coach John Harbaugh said the team had not seen the elevator video of the incident until it was released by TMZ. He said once the team saw the video, the organization leaders met and quickly came to the decision to release Rice.

Sept. 9: The NFL said it did not see the video until after the TMZ release

The NFL said it did not see the video from the elevator until it was released by TMZ. The league said it requested all information from the incident from police, but the elevator video was "not made available to us." The NFL claimed no one in its office saw the video until TMZ released it.

Way to spin it. No one had seen video of the incident until after TMZ released it. When they had, he was released the same day.

By your definition of Kansas City not wasting time, then that’s well within the same parameters considering Hunt assaulted a guy in January, in February he had the incident inside of the hotel room, in June Hunt punches another man in the face. Then in NOVEMBER, when TMZ releases the video of what happened, KC released Hunt.

So the Ravens released Rice in September for an incident that took place in February, while the Chiefs released Hunt in November for an incident that happened in February. Let’s be consistent here with the spin, shall we.

2 hours ago, CKSteeler said:

You mean when video of the incident was released...

Well, yeah... thats kind of the point. Prior to the second video being released, Rice was not deemed a distraction, he was actually considered to be EXTREMELY big into the local community and was well loved all throughout the city, his teammates loved him, the coaches loved him, the front office loved him, etc. They loved him so much that they were willing to overlook what was described as a minor altercation between two drunk spouses in an elevator. The moment the incident became a distraction, he was released.

Source for Ray Rice timeline
Source for Hunt Timeline

Edited by diamondbull424
Added source links

3 hours ago, Ray Reed said:

Nah, brah.

I suppose I interpreted what he said differently. As @AFlaccoSeagulls said we generally don’t keep “me first/distraction” type players around. That guy responds to him by saying we needed a bad Rice play to make the playoffs. So I interpreted the guy as saying, “you guys kept a terrible person like Rice around and his bogus call led to you winning the SB”.

So in that, it makes no sense. Rice wasn’t a “me first/controversial player” when we won the SB. It wasn’t until after the fact that he was such a serious distraction to the team. When he became so, we released him.

• Like 1