Ravens S Earl Thomas sent home from team; Released

RaidersAreOne

If you remember the details from the story with his wife and side piece this summer, she said that he had been doing a lot of day drinking and that was the cause of their fights. 

If Thomas has some combination of CTE and a booze problem, that might explain some of his recent erratic behavior, being late, not showing up to meetings, etc.  

1 minute ago, AngusMcFife said:

If you remember the details from the story with his wife and side piece this summer, she said that he had been doing a lot of day drinking and that was the cause of their fights. 

If Thomas has some combination of CTE and a booze problem, that might explain some of his recent erratic behavior, being late, not showing up to meetings, etc.  

Whatever his problems are, I just don't know what he's looking for in a team.

He wanted out of Seattle, that was reasonable. He wanted a payday, so a team with the NFL MVP gave him a 4 year/$52 million deal to play a true S role and be a playmaker, and that wasn't good enough?!

If you just wanted to be a Cowboy, then just go be a Cowboy and take January off (just like you did this year anyways). I don't get it.

• Like 1

Just now, AFlaccoSeagulls said:

He wanted out of Seattle, that was reasonable. He wanted a payday, so a team with the NFL MVP gave him a 4 year/$52 million deal to play a true S role and be a playmaker, and that wasn't good enough?!

If you just wanted to be a Cowboy, then just go be a Cowboy and take January off (just like you did this year anyways). I don't get it.

He seems to be having a lot of problems relating and socializing with people, it has nothing to do with the team he's on. That's why I think it might be a brain issue, whether it be alcoholism, CTE, or some combo of that. 

Or he's just a spoiled, entitled athlete...you know, something far more likely than some nebulous talk of CTE symptoms.

They have officially released him with the statement that it was for "personal conduct that has adversely affected the Baltimore Ravens." So they are going after the money and they deserve to lose. You gambled in free agency and you lost, Baltimore.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, AFlaccoSeagulls said:

It also strikes me as a case of Seattle legitimately built that defense around him (and the extreme versatility that having him and Kam Chancellor gave them).  And part and parcel to that appears to have been, to a scale few of us really grasped, that ET3 was allowed to freelance ALOT.  Dude may well have become so set in his ways (and some of it may be sipping too heavily on his own Kool Aid) that when he moved on because Seattle recognized they were at a tipping point and did what they felt they needed to do, he expect/projected to be able to do everything the way he did in Seattle with his new team.  And that's just a bad blend, because that's never been the way that Ravens' defenses have functioned dating well before Don Martindale - even if the DC changed, the culture of the defense has remained a constant.

• Like 5

34 minutes ago, EvilenFroggen said:

I really, really hate to ask this, but do we owe the Seahawks an apology?  

I thought of this...even thought about asking it. Couldn't bring myself to do it lol

It's like how everyone bashed Tomlin about Pitt players, and then realizing after the fact...holy hell, how did he manage to keep it all together as well as he did lol

• Like 1

1 minute ago, The LBC said:

It also strikes me as a case of Seattle legitimately built that defense around him (and the extreme versatility that having him and Kam Chancellor gave them).  And part and parcel to that appears to have been, to a scale few of us really grasped, that ET3 was allowed to freelance ALOT.  Dude may well have become so set in his ways (and some of it may be sipping too heavily on his own Kool Aid) that when he moved on because Seattle recognized they were at a tipping point and did what they felt they needed to do, he expect/projected to be able to do everything the way he did in Seattle with his new team.  And that's just a bad blend, because that's never been the way that Ravens' defenses have functioned dating well before Don Martindale - even if the DC changed, the culture of the defense has remained a constant.

Well we allowed Ed Reed to freelance as well when he was here, and it only really bit us in the last year or two of Ed's career. After that, though, when we went into the dual-style of S play where we want two safeties who can do everything, it's been very fluid.

I just can't explain Earl Thomas, man. I can't.

2 hours ago, RandyMossIsBoss said:

There is no way Ravens are cutting a quality safety, and eating $15M in dead cap, over 1 fight at practice. Must be more going on behind the scenes here.

Again, his TEAMMATES didn't think he was committed enough to the cause. That's enough.

1 hour ago, TheRealMcCoy said:

himself GIFs - Primo GIF - Latest Animated GIFs

At least Sherman got into altercations with the other team.

Kind of funny considering these two are on the same team now and supposedly pretty good friends. Crazy how all this stuff shakes out.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Forge said:

I thought of this...even thought about asking it. Couldn't bring myself to do it lol

It's like how everyone bashed Tomlin about Pitt players, and then realizing after the fact...holy hell, how did he manage to keep it all together as well as he did lol

I'm in two frames of mind on this.  Were we/people overreacting when trying to downplay or bash how Seattle handled things?  Very likely.  Could it also be argued that Seattle deserved some criticism regardless because they (and by "they" I'm looking at Mr. Petenut, himself) were the ones that cultivated the culture that allowed ET3 to develop this mindset and way of thinking.  And maybe they finally did recognize that Frankenstein's monster had gotten more out-of-control than they could deal with or were willing to deal with.

At the same time, when it happened (Thomas signing with Baltimore) there  were few defensive cultures more than Baltimore that you would have figured would have been able to suss out and absorb/curtail any negative behavior (and fewer front offices that would have risked the team culture for a big ticket player, based on history).  So this really is a perfect storm type situation in terms of its uniqueness.