Covid19 Megathread: Titans Shutting Down Facilities Due to Many (8) Positive Tests

BobbyPhil1781

44 minutes ago, CKSteeler said:

Yea there's really no evidence to support this claim.

There's some talk about rescheduling the game. In the possible scenario the Steelers would play the Titans in week 7 and Baltimore in week 8. Baltimore would get their bye in week 7 before the Steelers, Steelers would have three straight road games and have their bye at the most useless point in the season (week 4).

That hardly seems fair to me as a Steelers fan.

I’m amazed the NFL didn’t build in something. Could have done an extra league wide bye in the middle of the season and a week after the season. 

46 minutes ago, CKSteeler said:

Yea there's really no evidence to support this claim.

There's some talk about rescheduling the game. In the possible scenario the Steelers would play the Titans in week 7 and Baltimore in week 8. Baltimore would get their bye in week 7 before the Steelers, Steelers would have three straight road games and have their bye at the most useless point in the season (week 4).

That hardly seems fair to me as a Steelers fan.

In 2008 the Ravens had a week 2 bye because there was a hurricane in Houston. The league moved the game, forcing the week 2 bye onto both teams because moving the game to Baltimore was a competitive disadvantage for Houston.

The Ravens went on to play 15 straight regular season games without a bye (and 3 more playoff games - 18 straight in total). 

I'll be pretty pissed if the league gave us a week 2 bye because they deemed that game being moved to Baltimore was a competitive disadvantage, but they refuse to give the Steelers a week 4 bye and rather let them play a team that didn't practice or meet that entire week. Would be incredibly hypocritical. 

So this goes both ways. 

2 minutes ago, Ray Reed said:

In 2008 the Ravens had a week 2 bye because there was a hurricane in Houston. The league moved the game, forcing the week 2 bye onto both teams because moving the game to Baltimore was a competitive disadvantage for Houston.

The Ravens went on to play 15 straight regular season games without a bye (and 3 more playoff games - 18 straight in total). 

I'll be pretty pissed if the league gave us a week 2 bye because they deemed that game being moved to Baltimore was a competitive disadvantage, but they refuse to give the Steelers a week 4 bye and rather let them play a team that didn't practice or meet that entire week. Would be incredibly hypocritical. 

So this goes both ways. 

A bye in Week 2 hardly seems like it would be worth much.  That would be a huge disadvantage for you guys later in the season.

Edited by Uncle Buck
  • Like 2

3 minutes ago, Uncle Buck said:

A bye in Week 2 hardly seems like bothering with.  That would be a huge disadvantage for you guys later in the season.

It was completely brutal, but a very similar scenario with scheduling that's transpiring now. If the league did that to us, but won't give the Steelers a week 4 bye because of a perceived disadvantage and allows them to play a team that didn't see each other all week? ....yeah, I'm crying favoritism.

Edited by Ray Reed

3 minutes ago, Ray Reed said:

So this goes both ways. 

So, the Ravens got partially screwed in 2008 with their bye being changed, so the Steelers should get screwed worse now 12 years later?

Who could argue with logic like that.

3 minutes ago, Ray Reed said:

It was completely brutal, but a very similar scenario with scheduling that's transpiring now. If the league did that to us, but won't give the Steelers a week 4 bye because of a perceived disadvantage and allows them to play a team that didn't see each other all week? ....yeah, I'm crying favoritism.

You are one of those Ravens fans who cries about their lack of home primetime games, aren't you? Like Harbaugh?

The situations aren't even the same. One team gets hit with a hurricane and can't do anything for a week versus a scenario that all teams and the league were prepared to deal with heading into the season. It's possible to reschedule this game out of luck. But the next time this happens, and there will be multiple next times, there won't be the same options.

5 minutes ago, CKSteeler said:

So, the Ravens got partially screwed in 2008 with their bye being changed, so the Steelers should get screwed worse now 12 years later?

someone's going to get screwed either way. most likely the titans will be playing this sunday with no practice and a shorthanded roster. making the case that your team specifically shouldn't be the one that gets screwed because reasons is just silly.

• Like 3

Just now, CKSteeler said:

How exactly would you be getting screwed worse? You'd rather have your bye in week 2 than in week 4?

And yeah, if my team has been screwed in virtually the exact same scenario scheduling-wise before, and they decide not to do something similar and objectively lesser to a division rival in the same instance? You bet I'll be upset. And for good reason.

6 minutes ago, -Hope- said:

someone's going to get screwed either way. most likely the titans will be playing this sunday with no practice and a shorthanded roster. making the case that your team specifically shouldn't be the one that gets screwed because reasons is just silly.

Someone on the Titans probably went out and did something stupid. Probably, can't guarantee that. Blame your OLB coach. Versus a hurricane. And it's not just "reasons." This is a scenario likely to play out multiple times this year and the league isn't going to be able to just reschedule things everytime it happens. The league isn't and shouldn't be willing to set a precedent in this one because someone else is going to cry fowl later.

5 minutes ago, Ray Reed said:

And yeah, if my team has been screwed in virtually the exact same scenario scheduling-wise before, and they decide not to do something similar and objectively lesser to a division rival in the same instance? You bet I'll be upset. And for good reason.

I'd like to think that I wouldn't be hearkening back 12 years to make some argument about a completely different scenario. Again, every team in the league was prepared to have to deal with covid outbreaks this year. As was the league office.

Here's the reason you care. You want the Ravens to get the Steelers coming out of a bye. That's it. I'd be fine with an early bye week personally as the Steelers have traditionally be saddled with that, anyway. What I'm not ok with is shuffling around multiple games because someone on Tennessee tested positive for corona and giving the Ravens an extra advantage for a key divisional game later in the season.

I'm sorry the 2008 Ravens had to play a godawful Houston team in a different week, though.

Edited by CKSteeler

2 minutes ago, CKSteeler said:

You are one of those Ravens fans who cries about their lack of home primetime games, aren't you? Like Harbaugh?

The situations aren't even the same. One team gets hit with a hurricane and can't do anything for a week versus a scenario that all teams and the league were prepared to deal with heading into the season. It's possible to reschedule this game out of luck. But the next time this happens, and there will be multiple next times, there won't be the same options.

Because having the literal least home Monday night games since 2008 despite being a top 5 team in wins makes sense, and having played at Heinz field in primetime 7 of the last 8 years and hosting one home primetime game in that span isn't worth mentioning, right?

Na. You are one of those Steelers fans who buries their head in the sand and ignores any and all advantages the Steelers have every year because you don't want to accept the fact that your team is an NFL poster child but still want to act like you're this rough and tumble underdog that the league tries to stick it to, aren't you? 

3 minutes ago, CKSteeler said:

Someone on the Titans probably went out and did something stupid. Probably, can't guarantee that. Blame your OLB coach. Versus a hurricane. And it's not just "reasons." This is a scenario likely to play out multiple times this year and the league isn't going to be able to just reschedule things everytime it happens. The league isn't and shouldn't be willing to set a precedent in this one because someone else is going to cry fowl later.

I'd like to think that I wouldn't be hearkening back 12 years to make some argument about a completely different scenario. Again, every team in the league was prepared to have to deal with covid outbreaks this year. As was the league office.

Here's the reason you care. You want the Ravens to get the Steelers coming out of a bye. That's it. I'd be fine with an early bye week personally as the Steelers have traditionally be saddled with that, anyway. What I'm not ok with is shuffling around multiple games because someone on Tennessee tested positive for corona and giving the Ravens an extra advantage for a key divisional game later in the season.

I'm sorry the 2008 Ravens had to play a godawful Houston team in a different week, though.

When it's your team facing a potential early bye: "BuT ThE CoMPeTItiVE DiSADvanTAGE!!!"

When it's a rival team who faced a worse situation: "aLL It WAs wAs HaVINg tO pLAy iN DiFFeRenT WeEks sToP wHInInG"

Lol full blown clown.

1 minute ago, Ray Reed said:

Because having the literal least home Monday night games since 2008 despite being a top 5 team in wins makes sense, and having played at Heinz field in primetime 7 of the last 8 years and hosting one home primetime game in that span isn't worth mentioning, right?

Because what you said is just bull and never actually happened? What did actually happen is that Harbaugh cried to the league repeatedly and the Steelers had to go to Baltimore on a short week (an actual disadvantage). I'm sorry that Harbaugh and the Ravens come up small in primetime games. Really, I am. Tears and everything. Playing in prime time on the road isn't an actual disadvantage any self-respecting head coach should be crying about.

2 minutes ago, Ray Reed said:

When it's your team facing a potential early bye: "BuT ThE CoMPeTItiVE DiSADvanTAGE!!!"

When it's a rival team who faced a worse situation: "aLL It WAs wAs HaVINg tO pLAy iN DiFFeRenT WeEks sToP wHInInG"

Lol full blown clown.

I actually named three competitive disadvantages the Steelers would be placed in. But let's reiterate:

1. Having to play Baltimore coming out of their bye week.

2. Having to play three straight road games

3. Having an early bye week

The early bye week is, again, something the Steelers are used to. An early bye week happens on a regular basis.

Back to the news - the really troubling aspect from a league perspective is the knowledge that the OLB coach tested positive on Friday.   I know the stock answer is that the players tested negative on Sunday - but that's hardly surprising or comforting, given the time lag between exposure and test positivity.   

The players who were exposed and now tested positive could create a massive cascade.  MIN can only wait and hold their breath.    Hopefully this sinks in to every team and every player / coach / staff member to realize how they could become a patient zero for a team outbreak.

The fact the coaches tested positive does show why distancing and masking (along with good hand hygiene) are necessary, even if you aren't on the field.   Hopefully it's a lesson only 1-2 teams have to learn, for the rest of the league to adapt and tighten their practice.    There should really ever only be 1 case like this, every team & the league need to adjust and adapt accordingly, if they want the season to complete. 

Edited by Broncofan
  • Like 5